Author Topic: please tell me what the torah says about men who beat their wives....  (Read 3744 times)

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Please,

...and commit adultery....and bigomy...and abandon their children?????????

What does G-d think of these types of men?

I am not sure when I will be back...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:22:13 PM by ~Hanna~ »
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: please tell me what the torah says about men who beat their wives....
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
                                                                    בס"ד

Why don't you ask what Torah has to say about what NEED to be done to women who cheat on their husbands and G-D!!!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »

I did not ever cheat on my husband, what on earth are you talking about?

I am not going to get into my personal story here,

I am not talking to you, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM ME.

THANKYOU.

בס"ד

Why don't you ask what Torah has to say about what NEED to be done to women who cheat on their husbands and G-D!!!
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
Hanna,

You know that Torah does not allow men to beat their wives. This is why women are allowed divorce according to Jewish law, and they also have rights concerning many other areas of the household.

A Jewish woman should not be made to cry by her husband. The responsibility for establishing peace in the house rests on the husband.

Look at the subject of Shalom Bayit, or peace in the home...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/477632/jewish/Marital-Harmony.htm
http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/lazer_beams/2007/04/shalom_bayit_ho.html

I hope that Ron just did not understand what you are asking.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:57:40 PM »
http://www.oztorah.com/2007/06/beating-your-wife-ask-the-rabbi/

Q. Do husbands have a right in Jewish law to beat their wives?

A. Decidedly not. According to the Talmud it is wrong just to raise your hand against another person even if you do not actually hit them (Sanh. 58b). The sages say that a husband must love his wife as himself and respect her more than himself (Yev. 62b; Sanh. 76b). Maimonides, who thinks (Hil’chot Ishut 21:10) a man is allowed to beat his wife in order to make her perform her duties, is trenchantly criticised by other authorities who say they have never heard of Jews indulging in beating their wives. A man who beats his wife is as guilty as anyone else who commits assault. The fact that she is his wife does not justify his treating her badly. If she brings him to the Beth Din they will order him to take a solemn oath not to do this ever again. If he disobeys the court can order him to be chastised and flogged and placed under a community stigma. The R’ma adds in his gloss to the Shulchan Aruch (Even Ha’Ezer 154:3) that wife-beating is not the custom of Jewish husbands but a heathen practice.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/525852/jewish/Did-She-Cry-Because-of-You.htm

Did She Cry Because of You?
By Chana Weisberg

One of my favorite teachings from the Talmud is a marriage-related lesson. Aside from its psychological insight into how men and women operate differently, I love this teaching because it sheds a world of light on how to behave toward people in general—not only husbands to wives or wives to husbands, but towards everyone we encounter.

Rav said, "A man must always be careful to never pain his wife. Because her tears come readily, her pain comes quickly."1

Notice the wording.

It doesn't say be considerate to your wife. Nor does it say be nice and sensitive to her. Because your definition of consideration or sensitivity might be very different than hers. And your way of being nice might not be what she needs or craves.

Nor does the Talmud tell us, "She might be oversensitive, so just do your best, but in truth it's really her problem."

Instead, Rav teaches us, "She cries easily, so it's your responsibility to be extra careful." It is your obligation to make sure you don't do things or say things that distress her.

You might feel, Hey, this is something silly. She's being petty; she's overreacting. A little constructive criticism never hurt anyone. Eventually, I'm sure she'll come around.

But if she feels offended, the Talmud is saying, make sure you don't do it. Because her tears and her feelings are imperative.

What a lesson on how to regard another individual. Especially the most central other in your life.

So often we judge others by our own standards—I wouldn't mind having unexpected guests drop by, so you shouldn't either. Or, I enjoy sharing, so you must also. I appreciate a good joke even if the joke's on me, so there's no reason for you to take offense. We tend to think that as long as we treat the other in the same way that we like to be treated, we're doing okay.

The Talmud, however, teaches us to take ourselves out of the equation and view the situation from the other's perspective.

A friend who has experienced many challenges, including raising a child with special needs, commented that some people give too much significance to trivial issues. After overcoming real hurdles, she had a low tolerance level for someone who "sweated over life's small issues."

"But, Susan," I disagreed. "For that individual, at this point in his life, it is a big issue. For him, this is something tragic."

In fact, perhaps if we act with empathy towards others, assessing our words and behavior towards them not by our own standards but by how they are effected, perhaps we can then beseech G‑d, our "Cosmic Spouse," to act that way towards us as well.

"Dear G‑d," we could then argue, "we know that from Your perspective many of our wants and needs are trivial and petty. We also understand, that from Your seat on High, our pain, anxieties, conflicts and tensions may serve some higher cosmic purpose. But from our limited perspective, from the here and now, the pain is real and the suffering, unnecessary. Please G‑d, in Your infinite power, spare our tears. Make things not just good in truth, but good to us."

May we merit the fulfillment of the prophecy, "And G‑d will wipe away tears from every face."2

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »
Muman,

Thank you for posting this piece titled "Did She Cry Because of you?".......

It is enlightening and many of the members here on this forum, Jews and Gentiles alike, could all use a rather large dose of the information posted in this piece.

Again,
I thank you....

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 04:52:19 AM »
and many of the members here on this forum, Jews and Gentiles alike, could all use a rather large dose of the information posted in this piece.

What makes you say that?   Do you profess to know what goes on in any of the members' personal lives?  And are you intimating of improper behavior?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 04:55:21 AM »
Please,

...and commit adultery....and bigomy...and abandon their children?????????

What does G-d think of these types of men?

I am not sure when I will be back...

Obviously these things are wrong.  When a person hits his wife he is acting as a vigilante, and this is forbidden in Judaism.   Domestic disputes can be resolved through appropriate means.     As for bigomy, abandonment etc, if these things were really done, it is time for a divorce.   Why would you stay with such an animalistic criminal? 

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »
When I read that question first my answer was no, men are not allowed to beat their wives! Same in Christianity. Those men who beat their wives are cowards and deserve a fist!

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 06:06:57 AM »
Look Hanna, common sense alone says if you have a man who doesn't provide and just abuse his family than get a divorce.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »
"What is hateful to you, do not do unto another."
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein