Author Topic: Excellent Picante Recipe  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
Excellent Picante Recipe
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:23:14 AM »
I am making some of my famous hot salsa and thought I would share the recipe. I use all organic vegetables and it tastes better than any "hot sauce" you can find out there.

Picante Sauce

28 oz Can of Crushed Tomato
6 tbls White Vinegar or Jalapeno Juice
1 lrg White Onion
2 tbls Dried Minced Onion
3-9 Jalapeno Peppers (3 is mild, 6 is medium, 9-12 is hot)
1 tbls Salt
1 tbls Garlic Powder
3.5 cups Water (one 28 oz can full)

Pulse the onion and jalapenos in the food processor until finely chopped (or cut by hand if you are brave). Mix all of the ingredients into a large pot (with a cover where it is not completely covered or splatter screen if it starts to splatter). Bring to a boil (high). Reduce to simmer (a little below medium) until desired thickness (about 30 - 40 minutes).

Chill before serving!

-Jeffguy
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Excellent Picante Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:27:04 AM »
 :P :P :P :P Yummy.....

I don't like the salsas with the giant chunks of green pepper in them, so thanks, this one sounds great.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »
This sounds like a good recipe - I love salsa - but never tried making it at home.
I think it's ok to eat salsa - There is no chance it will cause me to support illegal immigration!  ;)
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »
Let me ask you something Jeffguy.  The recipe sounds delicious.  But what will you eat all that salsa with, if not tortilla chips, which are *not* healthy?

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »
Let me ask you something Jeffguy.  The recipe sounds delicious.  But what will you eat all that salsa with, if not tortilla chips, which are *not* healthy?

Sure, I eat it on tortilla chips and on nachos. But I also eat it on on main dishes, salads, burritos, pitas, sandwiches, beans, eggs, and even cook with it sometimes. It's really healthy to use instead of salad dressing.

I perfected this recipe over many years and with a lot of help from friends, family, and lot of taste-testers.   :)
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »

Sure, I eat it on tortilla chips and on nachos. But I also eat it on on main dishes, salads, burritos, pitas, sandwiches, beans, eggs, and even cook with it sometimes. It's really healthy to use instead of salad dressing.

I perfected this recipe over many years and with a lot of help from friends, family, and lot of taste-testers.   :)
Sounds like it would make an excellent salsa to me. And your recommended uses for the salsa also sounds interesting. At the the prices that the store bought salsa's sell for  Jeffguy's recipe is a big money saver and even more important when made at home you know what your getting. I never considered the fact that tortilla chips were unhealthy they seem like  they are a very good snack.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:02:50 PM »
They are fatty because they are fried.

Sometimes I eat a whole large bag of them with salsa. It seems like a meal because the salsa is healthy. Eating the whole jar of salsa is very healthy. But the chips are not healthy.

They are probably ok in moderation and they sure do taste good.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »
Here you can get organic tortilla chips that aren't fried and are made of some sort of corn product...... there are always healthier options for most things.
I quite like dipping celery sticks in salsa or in homous.

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
Yum! I love love love picante sauce and eat it with more meals than you could imagine! I will have to try your recipe. :)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »
Trust me... you won't regret it!