Author Topic: History of Rotneh in Yiddish  (Read 887 times)

Offline rhayat1

• Full JTFer
History of Rotneh in Yiddish
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I have a manuscript, about 100 years old, that relates the history of the town of Rotneh, Ukraine.  It is in Yiddish so I only understand bits and pieces.  Here is the first page, reduced in size.  If there is interest in it, I'll post more of it.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: History of Rotneh in Yiddish
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:55 AM »
Rhayat,

Can you tell us what it says, as far as you understand?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »
Are you descended from Ukrainian Jews? I am...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »
My parent's parents were from Latvia, but my grandmother is demented and I doubt she could read such small print.

Offline rhayat1

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »

My grandfather was born in Medzibuzh.  Most of the rest of my family was also from Ukraine - and I visited there once.  I've got a lot of photos of the Jewish cemetery there.

As for translating any of it, I cannot; my Yiddish isn't good enough.  I'm sure somebody here will be able to help.  Yiddish isn't dead yet!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »

My grandfather was born in Medzibuzh.  Most of the rest of my family was also from Ukraine - and I visited there once.  I've got a lot of photos of the Jewish cemetery there.

As for translating any of it, I cannot; my Yiddish isn't good enough.  I'm sure somebody here will be able to help.  Yiddish isn't dead yet!

My fathers family, and some on my mothers side, came from Uman... The rest are from Poland... One my my relatives wrote several books about Yiddish, including 1001 Yiddish Proverbs...

I myself don't know Yiddish other than a few words and phrases...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline rhayat1

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »

My fathers family, and some on my mothers side, came from Uman... The rest are from Poland... One my my relatives wrote several books about Yiddish, including 1001 Yiddish Proverbs...

I myself don't know Yiddish other than a few words and phrases...

Wow.  Medzibuzh and Uman.  The Ba'al Shem Tov and R. Nahman of Bretzlev.  We could have our own ecumenical farbreingen here! :dance:

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
I have a manuscript, about 100 years old, that relates the history of the town of Rotneh, Ukraine.  It is in Yiddish so I only understand bits and pieces.  Here is the first page, reduced in size.  If there is interest in it, I'll post more of it.

Very cool.

There are some people around here that may be able to read the Yiddish.   Bli neder, I'll try to show it to them and get back to you.