Author Topic: "The 6th and 7th Books of Moses" - Is that just folklore? Pagan silliness?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
I heard an old roots reggae* song called, "The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses", and decided to Google the idea out.
*Perhaps Matisyahu could help!

http://www.esotericarchives.com/moses/67moses.htm

Apparently some books do exist with those titles.

Another text called, "The Sword of Moses", exists...  Unless recommended, I doubt I am going to read these things, but, "The Sword of Moses", does SOUND cool...  MOSES!  WITH A SWORD! [Moses is cool, swords are cool!]  I have read that Joshua ben Nun had a special sword, it was Egyptian, I think it was mostly symbolic.

We love the first 5 books so much, speculation on more treasured books, however incorrect, seems natural to a hopeful people who love the Lord passionately.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Are you joking?

There is Tanach

Tanach =
Torah  : (The Five Books of Moses/Chumash)
Naviim : The Prophets
Ketuvim : The Writings

These are the Holy Scriptures from the Jewish perspective...

There are no other 'books of Moses' although some other scripture has been attributed to him, including the book of Iyov {Job}.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Scriptures

The Tanakh (Hebrew: תַּנַ"ךְ‎, pronounced [taˈnax] or [təˈnax]; also Tenakh or Tenak) is a name used in Judaism for the canon of the Hebrew Bible ("Tanach"). The Tanakh is also known as the Masoretic Text or the Miqra. The name "Tanakh" is a Hebrew acronym formed from the initial Hebrew letters of the Masoretic Text's three traditional subdivisions: The Torah ("Teaching", also known as the Five Books of Moses), Nevi'im ("Prophets") and Ketuvim ("Writings")—hence TaNaKh. The name "Miqra" (מקרא) is a Hebrew word for the Tanakh, meaning "that which is read", derived from the word qara "קרא" meaning to read aloud. The elements of the Tanakh are incorporated in various forms in Christian Bibles, in which, with some variations, it is called the "Tanach". The Tanach does not use the traditional Hebrew subdivisions, though the distinction "Law and the Prophets" is used several times in the New Testament.[1]

According to the Talmud,[2] much of the contents of the Tanakh were compiled by the "Men of the Great Assembly" by 450 BCE, and have since remained unchanged. Modern scholars are less certain, but some believe that the process of canonization of the Tanakh became finalized between 200 BCE and 200 CE, see Development of the Jewish canon for details.

The Hebrew text was originally an abjad: consonants written with some applied vowel letters ("matres lectionis"). During the early Middle Ages scholars known as the Masoretes created a single formalized system of vocalization. This was chiefly done by the Ben Asher Family, in the Tiberius school, based on the oral tradition for reading the Tanakh. It also included some of Ben Naftali and Babylonian innovations.[3] Despite the comparatively late process of codification, some traditional sources and some Orthodox Jews believe the pronunciation and cantillation derive from the revelation at Sinai, since it is impossible to read the original text without pronunciations and cantillation pauses. The combination of a text (מקרא "mikra"), pronunciation (ניקוד "niqqud") and cantillation (טעמים "te`amim") enable the reader to understand both the simple meaning, as well as the nuances in sentence flow of the text.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Tanakh is an acronym of the initial Hebrew letters of the Tanakh's three traditional subdivisions: Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim. According to Jewish tradition, the Tanakh consists of twenty-four books.

The Tanakh counts as one book what are sometimes counted as two in Christian Bibles (e.g. 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings and so forth), and counts Trei Asar (תרי עשר, the Twelve Prophets; though literally, "twelve") as a single book.
[edit] Torah

Torah (תּוֹרָה, literally "teaching") consists of five books, commonly referred to as the "Five Books of Moses." Printed versions of the Torah are often called Chamisha Chumshei Torah (חמישה חומשי תורה, literally the "five fifths of the Torah"), and informally "a Chumash."

In Hebrew, the books of the Torah do not have names. They are identified by the first prominent word in each book. The English names are derived from the Greek names given to the books in the Septuagint, which are based on the thematic content of each of the books, as follows:

1. Genesis - Bereshith
    2. Exodus - Shemot
    3. Leviticus - Vayikra
    4. Numbers - Bamidbar
    5. Deuteronomy - Devarim

[edit] Nevi'im

Nevi'im (נְבִיאִים, "Prophets") consists of eight books. This division includes the books which, as a whole, cover the chronological era from the entrance of the Israelites into the Land until the Babylonian captivity of Judah (the "period of prophecy"). However, they exclude Chronicles, which covers the same period. The Nevi'im are often divided into the Earlier Prophets (נביאים ראשונים), which are generally historical in nature, and the Later Prophets (נביאים אחרונים), which contain more exhortational prophecies.

Although most versions of the Tanach count the number of books as totalling 21, counting the books of Samuel and Kings as two books each, and the "Twelve Prophets" (or the minor prophets) as 12 books, Jewish tradition does not:

6. Joshua (יהושע / Y'hoshua)
    7. Judges (שופטים / Shophtim)
    8. Samuel (I & II) (שמואל / Sh'muel)
    9. Kings (I & II) (מלכים / M'lakhim)
    10. Isaiah (ישעיה / Y'shayahu)
    11. Jeremiah (ירמיה / Yir'mi'yahu)
    12. Ezekiel (יחזקאל / Y'khezqel)
    13. The Twelve Prophets (תרי עשר)

a. Hosea (הושע / Hoshea)
        b. Joel (יואל / Yo'el)
        c. Amos (עמוס / Amos)
        d. Obadiah (עובדיה / Ovadyah)
        e. Jonah (יונה / Yonah)
        f. Micah (מיכה / Mikhah)
        g. Nahum (נחום / Nakhum)
        h. Habakkuk (חבקוק /Havakuk)
        i. Zephaniah (צפניה / Ts'phanyah)
        j. Haggai (חגי / Khagai)
        k. Zechariah (זכריה / Z'kharyah)
        l. Malachi (מלאכי / Mal'akhi)

[edit] Ketuvim

Ketuvim (כְּתוּבִים, "Writings") or "scriptures", are sometimes also known by the Greek title "Hagiographa" and consists of 11 books. These encompass all the remaining books, and include the Five Scrolls. They are sometimes also divided into such categories as Sifrei Emet (ספרי אמת, literally "Books of Truth") of Psalms, Proverbs and Job (the Hebrew names of these three books form the Hebrew word for "truth" as an acrostic, and all three books have unique cantillation marks), the "wisdom books" of Job, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs, the "poetry books" of Psalms, Lamentations and Song of Solomon, and the "historical books" of Ezra-Nehemiah and Chronicles. In the Jewish version, Ketuvim consists of 11 books, counting Ezra and Nehemiah as one book and I and II Chronicles as a single book.

The "Sifrei Emet," "Books of Truth":

14. Psalms [תהלים / Tehilim]
    15. Proverbs [משלי / Mishlei]
    16. Job [איוב / Iyov]

The "Five Megilot" or "Five Scrolls":

17. Song of Songs [שיר השירים / Shir Hashirim]
    18. Ruth [רות / Rut]
    19. Lamentations [איכה / Eikhah]
    20. Ecclesiastes [קהלת / Kohelet]
    21. Esther [אסתר / Esther]

The rest of the "Writings":

22. Daniel [דניאל / Dani'el]
    23. Ezra-Nehemiah [עזרא ונחמיה / Ezra v'Nekhemia]
    24. Chronicles (I & II) [דברי הימים / Divrei Hayamim]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Regarding that link for the '6&7th book of Moses' I call it BS... That site discusses black magic, etc...

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
I only meant if there are more books of Moses, not the other prophets/writings/psalms/etc.  Sorry for the confusion.

I own a Tanakh, and I have access to the other writings.

The site I posted is just silliness then, yes?  There are no other books of MOSES besides the "Five Books" [not even hid in an old Synagogue located in "parts unknown"?].  I know Joshua comes after Moses, but Joshua does not equal Moses.

When Moses departs from the Tribes, there are no more adventures for him as a solitary man?

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I only meant if there are more books of Moses, not the other prophets/writings/psalms/etc.  Sorry for the confusion.

The site I posted is just silliness then, yes?  There are no other books of MOSES besides the "Five Books" [not even hid in an old Synagogue located in "parts unknown"?].  I know Joshua comes after Moses, but Joshua does not equal Moses.

When Moses departs from the Tribes, there are no more adventures for him as a solitary man?

What do you mean 'Moses departs from the Tribes'? At the end of the Torah Moses dies and is buried in the desert by Hashem....

The Torah {5 books} clearly explain what happened to Moses. He blessed Joshua as the leader of the Children of Israel and Hashem takes his soul back....

Torah Reading for V'Zot HaBerachah
Deuteronomy 33:1-34:12

1. And Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, [to the] top of the summit facing Jericho. And the Lord showed him all the Land: The Gilead until Dan,
2. and all [the land of] Naftali, and the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah, until the western sea,
3. and the south, and the plain, the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, until Zoar.
4. And the Lord said to him, "This is the Land I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, 'I will give it to your offspring.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not cross over there."
5. And Moses, the servant of the Lord, died there, in the land of Moab, by the mouth of the Lord.
6. And He buried him in the valley, in the land of Moab, opposite Beth Pe'or. And no person knows the place of his burial, unto this day
7. Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died. His eye had not dimmed, nor had he lost his [natural] freshness.
8. And the sons of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab for thirty days, and the days of weeping over the mourning for Moses came to an end.
9. And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, because Moses had laid his hands upon him. And the children of Israel obeyed him, and they did as the Lord had commanded Moses.
10. And there was no other prophet who arose in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face,
11. as manifested by all the signs and wonders, which the Lord had sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and all his servants, and to all his land,
12. and all the strong hand, and all the great awe, which Moses performed before the eyes of all Israel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Here is information which discusses the book of Iyov, which is attributed to Moses...

http://www.torah.org/learning/iyov/intro.html

1. Who wrote it?

From chazal (our Sages) z"l, it is clear that the authorship of this book is attributed to Moshe (Moses) Rabbeinu (our teacher). This point is discussed in the tractate Bava Bathra page14b. The Malbim explained that Moshe wrote it to console the Hebrew nation when they were enslaved and suffering under Egyptian oppression.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I have read about it in the standard work "Seelsorge und Okkultismus" written by Kurt E. Koch. The 6 and 7 book of Mose is very spread in lonely and rural areas of northern Germany. It is about witchcraft. As far as I know it is a German invention of the modern age.

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Ariel, in the article you linked Agrippa (von Nettesheim) is mentioned. He was a total fraud. I heard about a story that he has always a small black dog at his side. The people said that this dog was the devil.  :::D

Superstition^3  :::D :::D :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer

What do you mean 'Moses departs from the Tribes'? At the end of the Torah Moses dies and is buried in the desert by Hashem....

The Torah {5 books} clearly explain what happened to Moses. He blessed Joshua as the leader of the Children of Israel and Hashem takes his soul back....

Torah Reading for V'Zot HaBerachah
Deuteronomy 33:1-34:12

1. And Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, [to the] top of the summit facing Jericho. And the Lord showed him all the Land: The Gilead until Dan,
2. and all [the land of] Naftali, and the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, and all the land of Judah, until the western sea,
3. and the south, and the plain, the valley of Jericho, the city of palm trees, until Zoar.
4. And the Lord said to him, "This is the Land I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, 'I will give it to your offspring.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not cross over there."
5. And Moses, the servant of the Lord, died there, in the land of Moab, by the mouth of the Lord.
6. And He buried him in the valley, in the land of Moab, opposite Beth Pe'or. And no person knows the place of his burial, unto this day
7. Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died. His eye had not dimmed, nor had he lost his [natural] freshness.
8. And the sons of Israel wept for Moses in the plains of Moab for thirty days, and the days of weeping over the mourning for Moses came to an end.
9. And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, because Moses had laid his hands upon him. And the children of Israel obeyed him, and they did as the Lord had commanded Moses.
10. And there was no other prophet who arose in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face,
11. as manifested by all the signs and wonders, which the Lord had sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and all his servants, and to all his land,
12. and all the strong hand, and all the great awe, which Moses performed before the eyes of all Israel.

I have no idea why I thought Moses split company with the rest of the 12 tribes.  Yikes.  Embarrassing, I suppose. - Thank you for setting me straight. :)