General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Ariel about gardening questions!

(1/6) > >>

Ari Ben-Canaan:
I've been gardening 29 out of 31 of my years on the planet, and I work in the hydroponic industry.  Ask away.  I really enjoy helping people out, and I really enjoy helping plants out; If I can help both in one sitting... this is a great event.

HiWarp:
Okay, I'll bite first. It's February in NY and it's 25 degrees but pretty soon it will be Spring.  :jump:

What, in your opinion, is the best way to stake tomato plants. I have tried wooden stakes, plastic stakes, combining multiple stakes in a tee-pee type structure, tomato cages... and all have been a royal pain in the ass when the plants grow too large. For this season I am considering a trellis system like I would use for grape vines but that involves a lot of work. Perhaps pruning the plants during the growing season so they don't grow to be 6+ feet high?

What do you think?

arksis:
Great question HiWarp, I too have been trying every year, something different. This year, I put a wire chicken wire fence across the garden and planted the tomatoes along it and tied them up to it as it grew. Did much better than last year. Too much "rock" here, so I have to have a raised garden bed.

I also have alot of trouble with cucumbers!

Isn't hydroponic growing with water only? I would love to have a greenhouse and be able to grow like that.

Ulli:
Hello Ariel,

what is your oppinion of Aquaponic-Systems.

Sincerly,

Ulli

pennyjangle:
I had these types of plants in the 80's the roots grew in rocks with water only, isn't there a nutrient solution needed for this type of planting?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version