General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Ariel about gardening questions!

<< < (4/6) > >>

pennyjangle:

--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 12:23:22 AM ---I do not use Miracle Grow.  I find it is too harsh for many plants, and it affects the taste of vegetables.  If I need a high nitrogen formula I like to use either fish emulsion, or a blended organic fertilizer from Dr. Earth, or Whitney Farms.  Your vegetables will taste much better.

You can add sugar to the water when you feed your blooming/fruiting plants, it helps with size and taste.  Literally it's force feeding a plant carbon, and most plants are made out of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen [mostly] so sugar or molasses adds building blocks.

SuperThrive vitamins are another commonly available supliment which benefits plants greatly.  SuperThrive is not a fertilizer, but it is added into nutrient solutions in addition.  The stuff has 50 vitamins and hormones plants need, and it has a great track record of being effective stuff.  One can soak seeds in water with SuperThrive in it to speed up seeds popping open and growing.  SuperThrive is excellent when transplanting, or dealing with shocked or adding nutrient solution to plants with deficiency.  SuperThrive is cheap, and the dosage is low, I think it's in most people's budget and well worth it. - I have had seeds crack open in less than 24 hours with SuperThrive, compared to the usual 3-5 days I need to wait in absence of SuperThrive's presence.

--- End quote ---

You read my mind. What about mushroom compost? My neighbor's parents have a farm that's what they used, my garden did well on it except for my cukes and how do you keep pumpkins from getting mold while on the vine? Thank You!

HiWarp:
Thanks for the info on tomatoes, Ariel. I will try the trellis and cutting the tops off as well as planting sideways. I actually have some Rootone but I've never used it.

The usual varieties that I plant are grape, beefsteak, roma and celebrity. I have also tried heirlooms, but did not find them very appealing.

Rubystars:
Do you know anything about growing this:
http://www.waysidegardens.com/gardening/PD/48052

I'd like to give it a try.

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: Edward on February 10, 2010, 07:42:23 AM ---Hi Ariel, I'm Ed & I'm from Oak Grove KY. I've been working the land with my grandpa since I was about 10 years old. We grow apple trees, pears, hazelnuts and plums. I love gardening, it's a parts of my life.. much as I love my little hometown and our big ol' farms, I want to move to Israel. Do you think there's a way I can find a good job there, in the Kibbutzes or somethin' like that?

--- End quote ---

I too have hopes of working in the agricultural societies of Israel.  I can't give advice on the probability of employment, however I feel you will be able to find the work you wish to find in Israel.  I am in the process of preparing for Aliyah, but I do not have much ground work done yet.  When I find out I will keep you in mind, Ed.  Yasher koach!

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: arksis on February 10, 2010, 08:35:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 12:23:22 AM ---I do not use Miracle Grow.  I find it is too harsh for many plants, and it affects the taste of vegetables.  If I need a high nitrogen formula I like to use either fish emulsion, or a blended organic fertilizer from Dr. Earth, or Whitney Farms.  Your vegetables will taste much better.

You can add sugar to the water when you feed your blooming/fruiting plants, it helps with size and taste.  Literally it's force feeding a plant carbon, and most plants are made out of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen [mostly] so sugar or molasses adds building blocks.

SuperThrive vitamins are another commonly available supliment which benefits plants greatly.  SuperThrive is not a fertilizer, but it is added into nutrient solutions in addition.  The stuff has 50 vitamins and hormones plants need, and it has a great track record of being effective stuff.  One can soak seeds in water with SuperThrive in it to speed up seeds popping open and growing.  SuperThrive is excellent when transplanting, or dealing with shocked or adding nutrient solution to plants with deficiency.  SuperThrive is cheap, and the dosage is low, I think it's in most people's budget and well worth it. - I have had seeds crack open in less than 24 hours with SuperThrive, compared to the usual 3-5 days I need to wait in absence of SuperThrive's presence.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for your advice on Miracle Gro! I prefer the "organic" way too. How do you feel about adding manure to gardens? I don't know WHY, but this really creeps me out! LOL

--- End quote ---

Manure from some animals is good, others not so much.  Bat guano, worm castings, seabird guano... these are all good.  Steer manure has a high sodium content which can cause problems with nutrient uptake, or cause a plant burn.  Not all plants do well in high saline environments.  As a rule of thumb I stay away from manures except what I listed above.  I know tomatoes can benefit from some sodium [not sure of the dose], in terms of sugar production, but I don't have the experience of growing tomatoes with steer manure myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version