General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Ariel about gardening questions!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: Ulli on February 10, 2010, 10:09:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 12:09:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ulli on February 09, 2010, 08:34:16 AM ---Hello Ariel,

what is your oppinion of Aquaponic-Systems.

Sincerly,

Ulli

--- End quote ---
I really like what I see.  Dr. Rackary of the University at Virgin Islands runs a commercial aquaponics curriculum.  I am very encouraged when I read about the work that goes on at UVI.  I think Aquaponics has the potential to end much of the world's hunger at a cost of near zero.  There is another program in British Colombia which has succesfully cultivated over 60 varieties of plants in aquaponics.  I myself am toying with the idea of setting up a little home aquaponics thing with an aquarium, fish, and basil plants. - I think it would be really fun to travel around the world and teach poor people [who like Jews, ie, Brazil just added a Jewish Immigrant day to its national celebrated holidays] how to garden with aquaponics.

--- End quote ---

I think too, that this system has much potential. I went to the website of University at Virgin Islands. It is interesting. They do it, like I saw mainly outdoor. This saves a lot of energy for the Sodium-vapor lamps, that are usually used in this sector, specially to grow the little plants inside before planting them outside. But I think in the USA & Europe, you need a controlled environment because of the climate and sun-shining-time. So there is the problem with the energy. Perhaps it is possible to solve with good solar cells. In this way you could controll the energy costs, which are the greatest part of the total production-costs. But I am not shure if solar cells today are advanced enough.

--- End quote ---

One of the most interesting suggestion of technology I have heard involves an industrial de-humidifier powered by solar panels.  If placed on a coast it can suck down tons of PURE H2O.  I do not know if solar technology is where it needs to be to be practical, but it is a nice thought for now.  I hope solar power makes the advances quickly; the world is waiting... growing ever hungrier.
-I read an article where the Japanese are trying to put satellites in the sky which will grab solar energy from space, unfiltered, and then, somehow, beam th energy down to earth with a laser.  I am like a fish out of water trying to make sense of HOW this is possible; but I know the Japanese are a really hard working smart people, if there is a way, perhaps they will find it.

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: pennyjangle on February 10, 2010, 01:07:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 12:23:22 AM ---I do not use Miracle Grow.  I find it is too harsh for many plants, and it affects the taste of vegetables.  If I need a high nitrogen formula I like to use either fish emulsion, or a blended organic fertilizer from Dr. Earth, or Whitney Farms.  Your vegetables will taste much better.

You can add sugar to the water when you feed your blooming/fruiting plants, it helps with size and taste.  Literally it's force feeding a plant carbon, and most plants are made out of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen [mostly] so sugar or molasses adds building blocks.

SuperThrive vitamins are another commonly available supliment which benefits plants greatly.  SuperThrive is not a fertilizer, but it is added into nutrient solutions in addition.  The stuff has 50 vitamins and hormones plants need, and it has a great track record of being effective stuff.  One can soak seeds in water with SuperThrive in it to speed up seeds popping open and growing.  SuperThrive is excellent when transplanting, or dealing with shocked or adding nutrient solution to plants with deficiency.  SuperThrive is cheap, and the dosage is low, I think it's in most people's budget and well worth it. - I have had seeds crack open in less than 24 hours with SuperThrive, compared to the usual 3-5 days I need to wait in absence of SuperThrive's presence.

--- End quote ---

You read my mind. What about mushroom compost? My neighbor's parents have a farm that's what they used, my garden did well on it except for my cukes and how do you keep pumpkins from getting mold while on the vine? Thank You!

--- End quote ---

I have never used mushroom compost.  Sounds interesting!  I might have to take a Google on that one!

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/nepga/ViewArticle.asp?id=25
^This is an interesting article about pumpkins and calcium [Giant pumpkins to be specific!].  Most rotting, or mold/disease, can be controlled by adding some Calcium/Magnesium/Iron nutrient.

Edit:  Neem oil and soap can help out a lot too.  Bugs and mold do not like neem.  You can actually wash your plants/vines/fruits while they grow to eliminate mold, disease, or bugs.

Jerry Baker, "America's Master Gardener", has a million tips with ordinary items one can use in gardening...  a trick I have learned from him is to add anti-septic mouthwash [like Listerine, something that kills bacteria] as a defensive measure.

Spraying plants with beneficial bacteria/fungus also can keep diseases in check.  "Plant Success" is one of the most readily available products which consists of beneficial microbes such as these.  One needs to make sure to use chlorinated water; chlorine is bad news for microbes.
-You can take a 5 gallon bucket, an aquarium air stone and pump, and microbes like "Plant Success" w/ a spoon full of sugar, mix it all into the bucket, and pump air into the mix with the pump for 24 hours and then you have a "microbe tea" to spray onto your crops, or apply to the root zone.  Kelp is another good additive for a tea, as is Fulvic and Humic acid.  Sugar, Fulvic, and Humic are all edible to microbes.  Fulvic and humic also help plants with nutrient uptake [they bond to nutrients, "chelating", and it makes it easier for the plant to consume], and humic itself is useful for plants surviving in cold weather.

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: Rubystars on February 10, 2010, 06:18:06 PM ---Do you know anything about growing this:
http://www.waysidegardens.com/gardening/PD/48052

I'd like to give it a try.

--- End quote ---

I do not!  But that is a GORGEOUS specimen to try out!  If you try it out, let me know!

Rubystars:

--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 07:44:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rubystars on February 10, 2010, 06:18:06 PM ---Do you know anything about growing this:

--- End quote ---

I do not!  But that is a GORGEOUS specimen to try out!  If you try it out, let me know!

--- End quote ---

Ok I'm thinking of buying some when I have enough money. I really think it would be great, but I need to do more research on it first. Thanks for replying!

Ari Ben-Canaan:

--- Quote from: Rubystars on February 10, 2010, 08:39:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ariel Shayn on February 10, 2010, 07:44:33 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Ok I'm thinking of buying some when I have enough money. I really think it would be great, but I need to do more research on it first. Thanks for replying!

--- End quote ---

My pleasure.  I ran an impromptu hydroponics college here in California for a few months.  I miss answering questions.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version