Author Topic: Breslov Chassidus? Nachman?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Breslov Chassidus? Nachman?
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
http://www.breslov.com/

I came across this sect of Judaism.  It appeals to me.  I love singing/clapping to Judaist music. 

It's not as it has won me fortunes, but I am a talented DJ [I mix and scratch better than most/any "schvartzas" by a long shot...  I DEVOTED myself for many of my 31 years on the planet... about 15 years].  If I could use my dj abilities WITH Judaism...  I would be so happy.

I love singing and clapping so much [both are in the "Nachman" school of thought].

I have seen people make fun of the Nachmans, but I wonder more about the merits of this sect.

I never cared for the "drugs" of the "rave" scene, but as a very talented dj [djing isn't tough if anyone wants to learn] I have always enjoyed seeing a crowd's appreciation of my efforts.  To be able to conduct a full rave w/o "drug influence" would be a cherished event for me. - If G-d gave me these talents, surely I should use them for righteous reasons?
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Breslov Chassidus? Nachman?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
I consider myself a descendant of Breslovers and try to keep Breslover customs.

Check out the Breslov yeshiva run by Rabbi Lazer Brody.... His Torah is very genuine to Rabbi Nachmans {in my opinion} and I have bought some of Nachmans books through this branch of Breslov.

http://www.breslev.co.il/default.aspx

NACHMAN NACHMAN MEUMAN!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:54:20 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
Here is an interesting article on Breslov:

Excerpts from Likutei Halachot, by Rebbe Natan of Breslev

We can't conduct our activities only with tzedakah and chessed chinam/unqualified 'good' [adopting a carefree, lackadaisical attitude] – for then we wouldn't do anything! We would just do whatever we felt like and rely on Hashem's "good nature". This is not the way of the holy Torah.

On the other hand, we can't act only in accord with din and mishpat (strict justice), either. The entire world cannot exist on din alone, as our Rabbis have taught – and as we understand from our own experience. Many people have dropped spiritually, thereby becoming distanced from Hashem, through excess usage of din and mishpat. They become too hard on themselves, telling themselves that they have "no chance" anymore because they are such sinners, having transgressed and messed the world up so much.

The truth is – what difference does it make even if they are right about their self evaluation? They are still obliged to trust in Hashem's unending chassadim/loving kindnesses and mercies! There is always, always, hope – every day, every hour and every single moment of a person's life, never mind what he is, whatever he has done – for "the loving kindnesses of Hashem never exhaust". And so King Solomon wrote: "Do not be overly righteous and do not be overly wicked", which Chazal explain means that "if you are somewhat bad, do not make yourself worse". And even if he has really become a wicked person, G-d forbid, nevertheless he must not go even further in his wickedness. And however much he is able to reduce his wickedness, even a little, will surely be for his eternal good. In addition, through this he will be able to fully return to Hashem, because ein shoom yi'oosh b'olam k'lal – despair does not exist in the world at all! For Hashem's measure of good far outweighs His measure of punishment. If He watches and is observant of every single detail when a person has made a spiritual blemish or transgressed (as it states: "If a person would hide himself away – would I not see him?" and "from his place of rest he watches…he knows all their actions"), how much more is this true in regard to the measure of good: Not even a slight movement of good is lost from the world.

Consequently, it is true that it expresses the klippah (evil) of Yishma'el when a person adopts a laissez-faire attitude, relying only on chessed chinam and totally casting off the yoke of Torah and mitzvos, G-d forbid – because the klippah of Yishma'el issued from Avraham, whose main characteristic was chessed. The opposite is also true. There is an expression of the klippah of Esav when someone is too hard on himself with din and mishpat, adopting laborious chumros/stringencies and hamaros shechoros that overburden him. This corresponds to the klippah of Esav that issued from Yitzchak, whose dominant characteristic was din. This finds expression in Esav's enquiry, asking his father how to tithe straw and salt – excessive chumros. Sometimes excessive chumros are also a big blemish (as explained elsewhere).

Rather, quintessential perfection is found with the perfect blend of mishpat and tzedakah. This corresponds to Ya'acov, as in "mishpat and tzedakah is with Ya'acov". That is why "the bed of Ya'acov was perfect" [no negative progeny issuing from him]. (Hilchos Metanah 5:37-38) 

Esav wanted to know how to take a tithe from straw (ridiculous stringency), yet he’d turn around and murder a man, then take away his wife…

(Rabbi Dov Grant has his own website at http://likuteihalachos.blogspot.com. You may contact him at [email protected]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »
Some of the current generation have lost their minds, but generally speaking there is a lot of good in breslav Torah and you have to find the right source and the right people who are doing things with it reasonably.   Aside from Muman's link, there are other yeshivot as well that incorporate the teachings of Reb Nachman even if they are not fullblown "Breslav chassidim" that follow every custom and to the letter every single thing in Breslav format.  It can be a supplement as opposed to a complete identity.  That sort of thing is becoming very popular in Israel, especially in settlements, but also among haredim among seculars, etc because people are thirsting for spirituality.   My friend is in a yeshiva in givat shaul that incorporates Breslav teachings in part of the daily curriculum.

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Although both still far from Kahanism, Breslov and Lubavitch are the better of the Hassidic groups as regards opposing vitur chelkei Eretz Yisroel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Here is Rabbi Brodys site:

http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/lazer_beams/

I am currently listening to some inspiring Jewish music @ mms://www.breslev.co.il/breslev.co.il

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »
Here is Rabbi Brodys site:

http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/lazer_beams/

I am currently listening to some inspiring Jewish music @ mms://www.breslev.co.il/breslev.co.il

Nice station!  Thanks for the link!

I really like the articles too.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein