Author Topic: Surviving nuclear fallout  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Surviving nuclear fallout
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
I'm trying to do some research on how to survive nuclear fallout. I live close to a major city. I'm not sure if the shock waves from a nuclear blast would reach out as far as I live or not (does anyone know how far they go?), but I would probably have to worry about fallout if downtown Houston got hit.

I heard the best thing is if you have a basement and a bomb shelter type thing inside the basement. However in Houston you can't have a basement. The ground is too moist.

So is there any information on how to build an effective shelter from radioactive dust/radioactivity above ground? I know you have to get a decent amount of layering between you and the radiation but I have no idea how to begin.

I think the nuclear threat is becoming more dire as time goes on.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Surviving nuclear fallout
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
There has been alot more discussions going on since Obama decided to disarm more of our Nukes.  This guy is neither a diplomat or a strategist, because he won't convince any one else to disarm by disarming us.   God is our protector and Israel's.  It is wise to prepare in case of some event though.  I would bet on a Dirty Bomb first.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Yes Debbie Obama is putting everyone in America in very serious trouble by his actions. I don't know much about how to protect ourselves from this mess but I think every good person who lives in America should learn as much as they can about how to do it. When the bomb drops (literally), we will have to look out for ourselves.

I know some people on this forum might be a lot more educated than I am about survivalism so I am asking because this is the first time I've actually felt afraid it might really happen.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »
What almost everyone will need to be concerned with is the fallout -- or radiation -- for the atomic blast.  It is recommended that you take potassium iodide (or "KI") to protect your thyroid from damage from radioactive iodine.

Read about it here:

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

Because of our horrendous leadership, I believe that nuclear bombs will go off in major U.S. cities.  I believe that it's not a matter of "if" but "when".  I'm not a "doomsdayist" either.  I'm a rational thinker.  If you'll fly jumbo jets into the Twin Towers then you'll have no problem setting off a nuclear bomb in, say, New York City or Washington, D.C.  It's just a matter of time.  We won't even stop a madman in Iran now.  If not now, when?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
We have actually discussed this, and the best way to protect yourself from this nightmare, is unfortunately, to move away from major cities and from major military installations. 

I know this is a big step, but we all a need to at least consider it; even if it means a pay-cut, or being further away from friends or family.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
I don't think it falls within normal human nature to move away from friends in family.  I think it's more like human nature to say, "It won't happen here."  Many Jews in Europe did see the writing on the wall and moved.  But most didn't.  Even I won't move out of New York City, even considering what I said and believe about the reality of NYC getting nuked.  And sad to say, I probably wouldn't have moved out of Germany either.  It's just not in my nature to move out.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:36 AM »

From this diagram I suppose you could build a shielded room in the center house to keep out the radiation. But waiting out the fallout could take weeks, so we're also talking about stocking that room with food, water, sanitation, etc. People will call you paranoid, it's not paranoid to be prepared, so best to ignore them, they're projecting their insecurities instead of giving a useful opinion.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:17:01 AM by New Yorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
New  Yorker I saw that picture and I imagined how the only protection I currently have falls into "slight", which probably would have me end up with radiation sickness at the very least, and considering my closeness to the city, probably worse than that.

The thing is the better levels of protection in that picture show being under the ground level, which is almost impossible in Houston. We don't have cellars or basements here.

I would like to find out how to build a shelter that makes up for that problem. If I know how then I can start saving for the materials.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
New  Yorker I saw that picture and I imagined how the only protection I currently have falls into "slight", which probably would have me end up with radiation sickness at the very least, and considering my closeness to the city, probably worse than that.

The thing is the better levels of protection in that picture show being under the ground level, which is almost impossible in Houston. We don't have cellars or basements here.

I would like to find out how to build a shelter that makes up for that problem. If I know how then I can start saving for the materials.

http://www.captaindaves.com/nuclear/HS2.pdf
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
New  Yorker I saw that picture and I imagined how the only protection I currently have falls into "slight", which probably would have me end up with radiation sickness at the very least,

Ah, don't feel bad, I live in New York City, I'll probably get vaporized. At least you get a month or two of eating MRE's and playing video games as your extremities start to fall off.  :laugh:

That diagram just shows how your untouched house would work, you can make a section shielded, double up the walls or something.

Yeesh, I am in New York City, target #1 on the baddy's list.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
HiWarp thank you! That's exactly what I need!

I saved the pdf to my computer in case for some reason the Web site gets taken down. I'm going to read through it and see what I can do about getting something like that built.

Whatever it is needs to be big enough for my family and pets so it may be prety expensive. I'm going to have to find out more about it by reading the pdf.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
Here, cute little google maps app, you can try out nukes on your home city and see how far out the blast radius is.

http://www.carloslabs.com/projects/200712B/GroundZero.html

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
New Yorker, you could be a life saver, literally! :) I'm going to try that out right now

Well apparently if Downtown Houston gets hit with the equivalent of "Tsar Bomba" I'm toast.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
New Yorker, you could be a life saver, literally! :) I'm going to try that out right now

Well apparently if Downtown Houston gets hit with the equivalent of "Tsar Bomba" I'm toast.

I wouldn't worry too much about islamic terrorists setting off an airborne 50 mt nuke.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about islamic terrorists setting off an airborne 50 mt nuke.

Have you tried the asteroid?  :::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
Yeah the asteroid one is a little bit misleading though because not every asteroid is dino-killing size. It was funny though.  :::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »

I imagine if they do set one off then it will be a smaller one. My dad said they might target the ship channel or Pasadena rather than Downtown Houston, which would move the ground zero even further away.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »

Have you tried the asteroid?  :::D

Yes I did. The thing with an asteroid is, though, it's not particular about it's target. You could be just as safe in New York as you would in Antarctica.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Re:  "People will call you paranoid..."

If they do, then they have been made aware of your preparations.

And, if they know of your preparations, then your efforts are in vain, for those who laugh at you now will in time of disaster appear armed outside of your residence/shelter, demanding that you admit them and share your supplies with them.

So either "keep your plans to yourself", or be prepared to use your survival weapons to eliminate any and all wanting to avail themselves of your "food and shelter".

There is more to nuclear disaster planning than simply putting concrete over your head and having two weeks of food and water in reserve -- think about such things as human waste elimination and storage for two weeks (or more) in a small underground area, the danger of disease or sepsis from even small scratches or cuts, as well as how to survive after emerging from your shelter into an area with no electricity, no water, food, or fuel, and populated by roaming gangs and individuals who are sick, hungry, armed, and willing to kill for one matchstick.

Each and every "warning flag" has long been waving:  "A prolonged period of international tension / domestic unrest and instability / 'saber rattling' between nations / etc. "

Those now unprepared to survive what's coming are running way behind in their planning.  There will be very little time available to enter your fully prepared place of shelter once "an incident" takes place, so download the survival plans link I earlier posted for readers.

I would also strongly recommend researching "electro-magnetic pulse weapon [EMP]" and "surviving chemical or biological weapons", because our enemies are way more sophisticated in their planning than most of us are willing to admit.

Regardless of all else, the first rule of advice would be to leave the city and take up a new place of residence in a less populated rural area.

In my opinion, all of these steps are "easier said than done" -- all the more so as the collapsing economy increasingly limits our freedoms to travel and make purchases.

In my humble opinion, I still recommend immediate aliyah as our best option, for I believe that those who "stay and fight" will find that they can only fight to stay alive from day to day against almost impossible odds.  Another thing to consider is that those of the "David Duke camp" will have the greatest odds of surviving such a disaster -- most of them live in less populated areas, they have long been preparing and storing supplies as well as weaponry, have "country boy" survival skills, and are more likely than others to emerge alive, well armed, and well organized.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
To safeguard against any such eventualities, actually Tunguska-1000 should be liberally and profusely applied on all muslamic cities. 

At least for another 1000 years nobody is going to understand as to who did it and how and why. 
 ;D :laugh: :::D

There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
I think there are iodine tablets that you can get, to put in the water, too.

Here is a link to a site that has more info:

Please be aware this website is Messianic, but Im not trying to proseletyze at all, he has good information about survival.

http://www.thegoldenreport.com/specialinterest.asp
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
Yes I would definitely want any shelter like that to be kept a total secret. The good thing about the shelter that was linked in the PDF is that it doubles as a tool shed, so it's easy to have an excuse for it being there that won't raise eyebrows.

Massuh raised some good points. What is a sanitary, realistic way of disposing of solid and liquid human waste that won't cause illness to those inside or outside the shelter? I'd like to learn what the standard advice for what this is. I have no survival training at all and that's why I'm so ignorant about this.

How do you keep vermin like roaches, rats, and mice away from your food and water? Large American cockroaches aka palmetto bugs are extremely common in Houston. They're 1 1/2 inches long and you can see them crawling all over the sidewalks and on manhole covers even in relatively nice, upscale neighborhoods. The only thing that keeps them at bay in homes is keeping things meticulously clean and setting out baits or other poisons. What's the best way to keep vermin out of a shelter in an emergency?

Massuh you also brought up the topic of human vermin and even otherwise good people who become murderous and dangerous out of desperation. Does anyone have a good idea about how to make the shelter as secure as possible from being broken into?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
I think there are iodine tablets that you can get, to put in the water, too.

Here is a link to a site that has more info:

Please be aware this website is Messianic, but Im not trying to proseletyze at all, he has good information about survival.

http://www.thegoldenreport.com/specialinterest.asp

Thanks I'll take a look. I was thinking about ordering a brand called Thyrosafe but I'm not sure which brand to purchase yet.

Hannah don't take their advice on colloidal silver. Colloidal silver is dangerous.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:55:46 PM by Rubystars »

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »
As regards the usage of iodine tablets:

A very good idea for everyone to have some on hand, but they must be used properly.

However -- Iodine can prevent radioactivity from damaging only your thyroid gland in the event of a leak from a nuclear plant, or if the wind carries radioactive dust from a dirty bomb into your area.

It does not protect the rest of your body from the effects of radioactivity.

Therefore one must have in their constant possession pocket meters for measuring the level of radioactivity exposure.  These can be made at home using store bought parts, or purchased online.

Here is another website which might prove valuable to those wishing to know more.