Author Topic: Article about immigration that mentions Kahane  (Read 1564 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Article about immigration that mentions Kahane
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:47:42 AM »
The article mocks the US immigration system. 

http://www.vdare.com/pb/insight_debate.htm

"The definitive statement was made in the Afroyim vs. Rusk decision in 1968. The State Department tried to enforce the statute that deemed voting in foreign elections was an expatriating act. The Supreme Court settled the matter: Congress has “no power” to deprive an American of his U.S. citizenship.
       This was established by the case of the late Meir Kahane, founder of the Jewish Defense League in the United States and the Kach Party in Israel. Kach sent Kahane to the Knesset, Israel’s parliament. The State Department informed him that serving in another nation’s government would deprive him of his U.S. citizenship. Citing Afroyim, Kahane asserted that the State Department had no power to take his passport away. The court agreed. Kach’s Israeli opponents outlawed those with dual citizenship from serving in the Knesset (Kahane voted in opposition). So to run for reelection, Kahane formally renounced his U.S. citizenship (he lost). When he re-entered the United States with his U.S. passport, the State Department again tried to take it away. The case went back to court, where the State Department lost again.
       With some exasperation, the State Department pointed out that, after all, Kahane had renounced his citizenship. But Kahane’s priceless response was, in effect: “Oh, I only did that because I had to, under Israeli law, to run for the Knesset. The U.S. government cannot deprive me of my U.S. citizenship — only I have that power and I do not choose to use it. I changed my mind.” He won, and the State Department appealed. Kahane, however, was murdered while the appeal was pending and there the matter rests, as a matter of law. But as a matter of policy, some of us are waist-deep in the “Big Muddy.”