Author Topic: Special Aliyahs?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Special Aliyahs?
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
Has anyone else here gotten an Aliyah which seemed to have special meaning to you?

This has happened to me very many times... Maybe it is because I have a small minyan and Im good friends with the Gabbai, so I get an aliyah pretty much every time we get together for a Shabbaton.

But there are always seven aliyahs on Shabbat... And it seems like a case of Divine Providence when I get called up for an aliyah which has special meaning to me...

For instance last Shabbat... They called me up for the aliyah which I used for my signature line. And nobody in my minyan reads what I write here.

If anyone has any good stories of getting an aliyah which had special meaning I would love to hear it.... I hope Im not the only one who feels this way.

http://www.chabad.org/library/howto/wizard_cdo/aid/365943/jewish/The-Aliyah.htm
The Aliyah

During the Shabbat Torah service, eight men are called by the Gabbai (Torah service coordinator), to "come up" to the Torah for an aliyah (honor). There is one aliyah for each portion of the Torah that is chanted. An additional aliyah, designated the Maftir aliyah, is given to the person who will read the Haftorah. The Haftorah is a chapter of Prophets that is designed to express poetically and prophetically the messages included in the Torah reading for the day.

The first aliyah is given to an individual who is a descendant of Kohanim (the priestly families who served in the time of The Temple). The second aliyah is given to an individual who is from the tribe of Levi. The remaining aliyot are given to descendants of the other Israelite tribes ("Yisroel"). If no Kohen is present, a Levi or Yisroel may be called for the first aliyah.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Special Aliyahs?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:37:39 AM »
I am not sure if it counts as a full Aliyah, but last Friday I went to a Shul I have never been to before and they asked me to come up and say the Kiddush over the wine with two other men, who were regulars, since I was a new face in the Synagogue.  I have never been up to the Bimah before during a service to do anything like that.  It was quite a thrill!

[the cup was quite full with Manischewitz, more so than I expected!  Much fun!]
 :dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein