Author Topic: 16 year old baby... May hold secrets of aging!!!  (Read 2202 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
16 year old baby... May hold secrets of aging!!!
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
This is an interesting story. This is a good example of using science for a good reason. I post this story instead of the other {creation of living bacteria dna cells} because I believe that advance may not be used for good purposes. I am wary of science in this day and age because the potential for use of advanced technologies against humanity is still very possible. Imagine if Hitler had some of the technologies we know about today... It is scary to think that the inhumanity which existed 60 years ago still exists, and another madman may {and will} arise and use this advanced technology against us.

But this story is very interesting... A baby born 16 years ago has not developed more than a years growth in over 16 years... There was a genetic mutation in the aging of the cells and scientists are attempting to learn what this mutation is. It is possible this would permit extending human life, which is a good thing...

I also was puzzled by the families mentioning that the 16-year old baby was given a Bat Mitzvah.. I don't know if that would be halachically permitted if the girl is not able to learn the Torah and recite the Haftorah portion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538020,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r1:c0.000000:b0:z5

The Curious Case of Brooke Greenberg: 16-Year-Old Has the Body and Mind of a Toddler
Friday , August 07, 2009
By Jessica Doyle

Like most 16-year-olds, Brooke Greenberg enjoys shopping and listening to rock music.

But unlike other girls her age who are learning to drive and going to the prom, Brooke still wears diapers, travels in a stroller and can’t walk or talk. Like a toddler, Brooke is 2-and-a-half feet tall and weighs only 16 pounds.

“For the past 10, 11 years, she’s looked the same,” said Brooke’s father, Howard Greenberg. “The price is, she’s adorable. She stopped aging at the right age.”

Doctors aren’t sure how or why, but Brooke, who lives in Baltimore, Md., developed a mutation of the gene that controls aging and development.

Dr. Richard Walker, a biomedical researcher and editor-in-chief of Clinical Interventions in Aging, discovered Brooke’s mutated gene. He has been studying her case since 2006.

“Brooke is a unique individual because she has a mutation in the developmental gene that prevents her from aging, and she’s in the developmental phase,” Walker said. “There’s no hope for her, but what she brings to science is information on how we may be able to delay aging.”

Click here to see photos of Brooke

Click here to watch Brooke and her family on 'FOX & Friends'

Brooke, one of four children, is definitely a “Daddy’s girl.” Her father spares no expense for his daughter. Like her sisters, Brooke had a Bat Mitzvah — the Jewish rite of passage into adulthood — when she turned 13. And he buys her the best strollers and baby swings.

“That’s what she really loves,” said Caitlin Greenberg, 19, pointing to the swing, as Brooke propelled herself back and forth, a smile forming on her small face.

Caitlin, a sophomore at Towson University, and her other sisters, Emily, 22, and Carly, 13, are of normal size and development. They still interact with their “little” sister as if “she’s just one of the gals,” Caitlin said.

But it’s a difficult life for the Greenbergs. The state of Maryland has provided two nurses to help care for Brooke 16 hours a day, because she was getting sick often and needed a feeding tube inserted in her stomach.

“From the ages of 1 to 5, she spent 65 percent of her life in the hospital,” her mom, Melanie, said. “It takes her 10 hours a day just to eat. She’s medically fragile.”

According to Walker, development and aging are at opposite poles of the life continuum, but they are controlled by the same genes. In young childhood, these genes initiate structure and function and coordinate change (single cells eventually become full-functioning adults).

“Once we’re adults, we don’t want to change,” Walker said. “We all want our bodies to be about 21. But those genes don’t turn off at that time. It causes the bodies’ stability to erode, and that’s what aging is. The punchline: if you can get those genes and turn them off, then you wouldn’t have aging.”

Essentially, Brooke’s aging and development genes have been turned off.

Her bones are that of a 10-year-old, her teeth are 6-years-old, her brain is less than a year old, Walker said.

Yet, her hair and nails, protein synthesis, grow normally.

“We’re still searching for the mutation,” Walker said. “Once we find it, we are going to try to manipulate it in experimental animals to see if we can extend their lifespan.”

In the meantime, the Greenberg family takes each day with Brooke as it comes. They don’t dwell on the negative; instead, they consider Brooke’s life a gift.

“Maybe she holds the keys to medical history,” Caitlin said.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: 16 year old baby... May hold secrets of aging!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »
Wow that is shocking.  Kind of sad too.  The family seems to be holding together, and continuing to be loving so that is a good thing. 

I think it would be terrible if people were able to stop aging; imagine if Nancy Pelosi was alive for 1,000 years.  Career politicians would be astronomically even more horrible and destructive than they are now.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
Wow that is shocking.  Kind of sad too.  The family seems to be holding together, and continuing to be loving so that is a good thing. 

I think it would be terrible if people were able to stop aging; imagine if Nancy Pelosi was alive for 1,000 years.  Career politicians would be astronomically even more horrible and destructive than they are now.

Wow, that is a really scary thought... Ouch!!!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »
I think I read about that a long time ago.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »
At first I thought you were talking about a big baby:

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:51 AM »
Wow, Ive never heard of anything like this.  Ive heard of accelerated aging, but never something like this.

I guess anything is possible.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:20:59 AM »
That's really sad for that family.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
Hey if science can stop and reverse aging I'd go for it, I could use another lifetime or two, it's so hard to get it right the first time with all of that trial and error.  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

• Gold Star JTF Member