Author Topic: Found: Ancient Egyptian City from Biblical Times  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
Found: Ancient Egyptian City from Biblical Times
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »
Found: Ancient Egyptian City from Biblical Times

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/138198

by Hillel Fendel

Egypt announces that an ancient city from 3,500 years ago – at the height of the Jewish People’s enslavement there – has been discovered by radar.

Egypt says an ancient city from 3,500 years ago – at the height of the Jewish People’s enslavement there – has been discovered by radar. The announcement was made by the Egyptian Ministry of Culture.

BBC reports that Austrian archaeologists used radar imaging to find the underground outlines of the city, located in the now densely-populated Nile Delta area.

The city is believed to be Avaris, the summer capital of the Hyksos people, foreign occupiers who ruled Egypt for about a century, beginning around the mid-17th century B.C.E.. It was during that time that the Children of Israel began their sojourn in Egypt, which continued later with a “new king who did not know Joseph” (Exodus 1:8), enslavement, and later, the miraculous Exodus.

The radar images show the outlines of streets and houses underneath what are now green farm fields and modern towns.

"The aim of the geophysical survey,” said Austrian archaeological team head Irene Mueller, “was to identify the size of the ancient city… The mission also identified one of the Nile river tributaries that passed through the city, as well as two islands.” (IsraelNationalNews.com)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:30:39 PM by muman613 »
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Found: Ancient Egyptian City from Biblical Times
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »
The city is believed to be Avaris, the summer capital of the Hyksos people, foreign occupiers who ruled Egypt for about a century, beginning around the mid-17th century B.C.E.. It was during that time that the Children of Israel began their sojourn in Egypt, which continued later with a “new king who did not know Joseph” (Exodus 1:8), enslavement, and later, the miraculous Exodus.

Hmmmmm.  That makes sense.  Very interesting. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:01:49 PM by muman613 »
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
I modified the message because (Exodus 1:8) displays a smiley... You can turn off smileys in the 'additional options' button...

I read this story the other day and I hope that those who excavate it will be sensitive to the Jewish historical significance. I don't really trust the Egyptian Antiquities department. Especially that dude who is famous on TV for the pyramid excavations...

This is the Dude
Zahi Hawass
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:07:18 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
Remember that according to Torah the Jews in Mitzrayim lived in a place called Goshen.

Parashat VAYIGASH

You shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near to me, you and your children and your children's children...and all that is yours. (45:10) Why did Hashem choose Goshen as the home for the newly arriving Jewish immigrants? Rashi in Sefer Vayikra comments that Goshen was the most morally depraved area in Egypt. The Egyptian people were the most licentious, immoral people in the world and Goshen was the nadir of Egyptian depravity. This makes our question even stronger: Why Goshen? Furthermore, Yosef seems to emphasize that if they were to live in Goshen, they and their children and grandchildren would remain closer to him. What is it about Goshen that would potentially catalyze this closeness?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14