Author Topic: Romanian President Basescu Restates Support For Palestine-Israel Direct Negotiat  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Romanian President Traian Basescu said Monday, after meeting with Palestinian National Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas, that Romania encourages and strongly supports the resumption of direct negotiations between Palestine and Israel. 'Basescu, is an ugly,self absorbed power hungry dictator of Romania, a country which surely will be punished for its treasonous acts towards Israel. - IMO
"We have analyzed the possibility of resuming direct negotiations between Palestine and Israel, something [Romania] strongly supports and encourages, not only as regards the relationship between the two states, but also within the alliances of which we are a member. We believe the correct solution is for the two states to exist side by side in peace and security," Basescu said after discussions with Mahmoud Abbas at Cotroceni Palace, in Bucharest.

The Romanian head of state added that direct negotiations must take place on the basis of the Quartet on the Middle East's "road map for peace" and the Arab peace initiative. "We also believe Hamas needs to make a clear choice regarding elections, a solution put forward by Egypt, as mediator, accepted by the Palestinian Government and which, in our opinion, should be accepted by Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip. We think Hamas has an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to the strengthening of the Palestinian state, by accepting the proposals intermediated by Egypt," said Basescu.

Asked by a Palestinian journalist whether Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is willing to sign a peace agreement with the Palestinian National Authority, Basescu said yes.

"I think he is. I know Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Peres well. I am convinced Prime Minister Netanyahu, as well as Peres, want peace in the Middle East. At the same time, I am aware of the concern about the security of the Israeli people and Israeli politicians are not worried about the Government in Ramallah, but about groups which are constantly tempted to refuse to recognize the state of Israel and undermine its existence. Unfortunately, such groups undermine the strength of the Palestinian state. I am certain of this and I say this as a person who knows politicians in Ramallah and in Tel Aviv: both sides want peace, peace in security, not a false security, but long-term security guarantees," Basescu explained.

He told the Palestinian journalists that Romania has a tradition of excellent relations with Israel and with Arab countries.

"As regards the Middle East, we do not choose one side or the other. Given Romania's closeness and the dependence of its national security on security in the Middle East, our objective is peace in the region. Another thing that makes us look closely at the region is that around half a million Romanian speakers live in Israel. If we add together the families and young people from Arab countries, who were educated in Romania, the figure will be similar. There are about 500 mixed families living in Palestine alone. Therefore, you can count on [Romania] as a country which sincerely wants to contribute to dispute resolution and to the start of a real peace process in the Middle East. Bear in mind that Romania recognized the state of Palestine in 1988," Basescu said.

Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestinian National Authority, appreciated Romania's position.

"We are confident Romania will act both independently and within the European Union to drive the peace process. I told Mr. President that we are prepared to take part in direct negotiations as soon as we receive positive signals that progress can be made through them. Our position on the recent talks between Israel and the United States is based on the Road map to peace. We are doing everything in our power to ensure the unity of the Palestinian state and we wish Hamas would sign the Egyptian document to continue on the road towards elections," Abbas said.

Abbas denied that direct negotiations depend on reconciliation with Hamas.

"These negotiations have nothing to do with Hamas' position, with whether Hamas would agree or not. As you know, previous negotiations with the Olmert Government began during internal Palestinian disagreement. If we take part in these negotiations, should progress be achieved towards them, we will also try to settle with Hamas. We are well aware of the importance of reconciliation, but if negotiations do take place, we will attend them," Abbas concluded.
http://www.mediafax.ro/english/romanian-president-basescu-restates-support-for-palestine-israel-direct-negotiations-6544338

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Romania is for most the most part a cowardly nation made up of thieves and opportunist... but what do I know I only lived there!