Author Topic: simple questions: about 3rd day, brother  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Zenith

• Full JTFer
simple questions: about 3rd day, brother
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
although it may have something to do with the 'hebrew language' section, it is related to religion, so I hope there is no problem that I post these questions here.

Question no. 1.
How is your (or ancient jewish) understanding of "come after three days", "the third they, he arrived"?

Question no. 2.
Christian orthodox (I usually say orthodox people, but bec. you may think of jewish orthodoxism, I use "christian orthodox") people say that in hebrew language (or, jews understand that) "brothers" = "relatives", based on Abraham's statement, when he calls Lot, "brother", to justify their claims that Mary was virgin even after the birth of Jesus (which gets to some crazy beliefs, as well) so that they would see her more "holy". My opinion is that the phrase in which Jesus refered to "his brothers" is impossible to be that ambiguous (like "hi everybody!" "-did he invite us to dinner?":)) ). What do you (or ancient jews did) understand of the word "brother"?

I'm not confused about it, I just want to know I asked jews about "what jews understand".

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: simple questions: about 3rd day, brother
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
I don't understand your first question, where do you quote from ?

As for Q2: In the biblical language "brother" = your fellow Jew. Of course it also means actual brother, depending on the context.

Offline Zenith

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
to the first question there was no quoting from the bible. I hoped you can explain without.
anyway,
Gen 42.17-18 "And he put them in prison for three days. On the third day, Joseph said to them: "Do this and live I fear G-d." - and they went back to their father.

1Kings 20.29 " And they were encamped opposite each other [for] seven days; and it was on the seventh day that [men of] battle drew closer and the children of Israel killed of Aram, one hundred thousand footmen in one day." - they fought the 7th day.

Esther 4.16 ""Go, assemble all the Jews who are present in Shushan and fast on my behalf, and neither eat nor drink for three days, day and night; also I and my maidens will fast in a like manner; then I will go to the king contrary to the law, and if I perish, I perish.""
following 5.1 " Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther clothed herself regally, and she stood in the inner court of the king's house, opposite the king's house, and the king was sitting on his royal throne in the royal palace, opposite the entrance of the house."

2 Chronicles 10.5 "And he said to them, "Another three days, and return to me," and the people departed."
with 10.12 "And Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day, as the king had spoken, saying, "Return to me on the third day.""

Gen 40.13 " In another three days, Pharaoh will number you [with the other officers], and he will restore you to your position, and you will place Pharaoh's cup into his hand, according to [your] previous custom, when you were his cupbearer."
with
40.18-19 "And Joseph replied and said, "This is its meaning: the three baskets represent three days. In another three days, Pharaoh will remove your head from you and hang you on a gallows, and the birds will eat your flesh off you.""
with
40.20 "Now it came about on the third day, Pharaoh's birthday, that Pharaoh made a feast for all his servants, and he counted the chief cupbearer and chief baker among his servants"

about Question 2
ok, I'll give you reference from NT:
Matthew 12:46-50 "46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. 47 Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”
48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”"
Matthew 13:55 "Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?"

So, do you understand that Jesus had brothers, from the context?

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »
Zenith I still am not sure I understand your first question. Do you mean to ask how many days to wait and on which day to come ? Well, come in three days means on the third day you come- tomorrow, the day after, and the third day- that is the day you come.

Regarding your second question- there is no doubt that according to the text Jesus had four brothers, sons of his mother Mary- James, Joses, Simon, and Judas.