Author Topic: Modern orthodox Rabbis being gay is o.k  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Modern orthodox Rabbis being gay is o.k
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 12:04:23 AM »
OK, let's say that a boy is born naturally a little on the feminine side--he is artistic and shuns sports and hard physical activities or war-related toys. It's very likely that in this cruel world, such a child is going to be mercilessly picked on on the playground (and perhaps by his own parents), and quite likely will be called "gay" repeatedly. What do you think this does to his psyche? Do you not think that he will eventually begin to wonder if everybody is right?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
OK, let's say that a boy is born naturally a little on the feminine side--he is artistic and shuns sports and hard physical activities or war-related toys. It's very likely that in this cruel world, such a child is going to be mercilessly picked on on the playground (and perhaps by his own parents), and quite likely will be called "gay" repeatedly. What do you think this does to his psyche? Do you not think that he will eventually begin to wonder if everybody is right?

You know that I agree with what you said here... This is why the Gay Agenda and the medias perpetuating the 'hip gay lifestyle' is so detrimental to our children today. DBF I agree with you in principle here but my answer is that we should teach good morals and tune out the bad messages. It is true that in todays society with TV being shoved down childrens throats it is very difficult to protect children from these dangerous messages.

I have said before that I have not watched TV in over seven years now... It doesn't affect me or my family. All I can do is put out a positive message, one which encourages children to have heterosexual relationships in a monogamous fashion.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »
Maybe Chaim understands the statement, or the intent behind it, as accepting homosexual behavior itself. Some of the signatories probably would like try to push towards this direction. But as a matter of principle I think what Raul said and I said is correct. There is no general cherem on sinners. I mean for individuals who know they engage in sinful behavior but they don't solicit other people to engage in it, and do not try to rewrite the the Torah so that it would approve of their sins. If that is the case I can't see why only homosexuals should be banished while for example philanderers, adulterers, or TV/radio reporters who work on shabbat shouldn't.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
Muman,

You misunderstood my point.  When I wrote feeling "different," I meant "different" in a gender different sense.  I think your example of divorce is a good one, but it has zero to do with homosexuality.  Anyway, how I feel or think about this has been explained in many posts here in JTF.  Not interested in getting involved in old disagreements or arguments. 

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »
God bless the innocent children, but the parents are committing acts that are abomnible to the Lord.

Leviticus 18:22- Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, that is detestable.  Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. (Sodom and Gomorrah).  And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.  Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the destable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them.  (I Am The Lord Your God.)  Very Very clear what these words mean.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
G-d bless the innocent children, but the parents are committing acts that are abomnible to the Lord.

Leviticus 18:22- Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman, that is detestable.  Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. (Sodom and Gomorrah).  And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.  Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the destable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them.  (I Am The Lord Your G-d.)  Very Very clear what these words mean.

Debbie,

The nations which were driven out did not include Sdom, so I don't think that is what Hashem is talking about in that pasuk... He is talking about the nations he 'WILL DRIVE OUT' which are the Caananite nations. The Caananites were also very debased people so I think you should study the context of the scripture before making such a statement..

The episode of Sdom occured in Abrahams lifetime... Moses lived 7 generations after Abraham...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
I agree, but we all should be aware that the scriptures still apply as they were written to today's world.  God's word has not changed over the centuries, it is still a guide for man to follow and obey.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
I agree, but we all should be aware that the scriptures still apply as they were written to today's world.  G-d's word has not changed over the centuries, it is still a guide for man to follow and obey.

It is true that Torah is the truth and it will stand throughout the Generations... But we must not selectively pick which sins are more sinful than others because Torah doesn't explicitly say which sin is worse. Based on the # of times in Torah it appears that Shabbat desecration is one of the worst sins..

Jews will never accept the NT... So try to stick with Tanakh and Talmud...

http://www.ou.org/chagim/shabbat/protect.htm

"We can now perhaps begin to understand the extreme gravity with which the Torah views the violation of the Shabbat, and how it could say, "Those who desecrate it shall die; anyone who does a Melacha on that day - that soul shall be cut off from the midst of its people." (Shemot: 31,14)

"Indeed, who could do such an act, knowing its full implications, unless he were already dead to all the spiritual aspirations of the Jewish people? It is the simple truth, which we have unfortunately witnessed so many times in recent years, that when the Shabbat goes out of the life of an individual, a family, or a community, their Jewishness is turned into a hollow mockery, to be discarded altogether by those who come after."

"In matters of such seriousness, even unthinking transgressions must be guarded against. It is a very poor excuse, when fundamental questions of this nature are at stake, to say, "I wasn't thinking." Shabbat presents special dangers in this respect, since it concerns actions which we are in the habit of doing all the other six days of the week. Jews at all times, conscious of all that is at stake, have been determined not to be dragged down by habit and forgetfulness. They have therefore sought methods of protection against unintentional desecration of the Shabbat."

Let me conclude this by saying that all SIN is horrible and will one day cease. We should rebuke all Jews who transgress the commandments. But I don't think every person who has same sex attraction is more evil than one who thinks it is OK to openly and boldly violate the 39 Melachot on Shabbat. Both lead to the same desecration of Hashem..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:08:59 AM by muman613 »