Author Topic: Torah Execution Methods  (Read 6342 times)

admin

Torah Execution Methods
« on: May 20, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
The Torah way of execution is stoning. Hanging is only after the body is already dead.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
Re: Torah Execution Methods
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »
The Torah way of execution is stoning. Hanging is only after the body is already dead.

Sekilah, Serefa, Hereg, Va Henek, are the Torah way of killing.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Can you elaborate? I don't get it..once someone is dead, why hang them?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

shimonchaim

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

Sekilah, Serefa, Hereg, Va Henek, are the Torah way of killing.
the way of killing someone according to torah law is sekialh which means throwing someone of a cliff and then stoning them. serefa which is burning the people would light the victim on fire. hereg which i think means he would drink poison and the last one henek means you would either get choked or your neck would be slit

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »
Hereg is a form of beheading
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:55:13 PM »
Well, I'm not sure about the Torah - but I know the Talmud specifies several different types of execution:
Sekila - stoning
Serefah - burning
Hereg - decapitation
Chenek - strangulation

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
The way in The Talmud is the Torah way. The Talmud is The Oral Torah.

I know that, but I thought you were talking about methods specified in the written Torah.  But, if you weren't, then I think I gave the answer, didn't I?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:17 PM »

I know that, but I thought you were talking about methods specified in the written Torah.  But, if you weren't, then I think I gave the answer, didn't I?

Actually I belive that those 4 methods are specified in the 5 Books of Moses. The Oral Law and Rabbis actually were a lot more lenient and wouldnt execute that many people (even when they were wronge), in fact if their was even 1 execution in 70 years that Sanhedrin would be concidered a killing (something similar to that tome) Sanhedrin.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:22:58 PM »

Actually I belive that those 4 methods are specified in the 5 Books of Moses. The Oral Law and Rabbis actually were a lot more lenient and wouldnt execute that many people (even when they were wronge), in fact if their was even 1 execution in 70 years that Sanhedrin would be concidered a killing (something similar to that tome) Sanhedrin.
Yes, Gemara Makos talks about that, and a better word would be "bloodthirsty" rather then killing, though the response to that statement is a overly lenient Sanhedrin causes murder to increase in the world
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

Yes, Gemara Makos talks about that, and a better word would be "bloodthirsty" rather then killing, though the response to that statement is a overly lenient Sanhedrin causes murder to increase in the world
I've usually seen it translated as "murderous."  But, basically the same thing.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
So is one form of execution worse then the other?Do certain forms apply to different sinful doings? Are they still carried out today?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »
I think you can also pour hot liquid metal down the throat :o :o yes different punishment for different transgressions.I guess beheading is theleast painfull
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:14:09 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03