Author Topic: The Torah of the King, the commandment is in this coming Parasha  (Read 342 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Is it a coincidence that recently we were discussing a book that Rabbi Yitzak Shapiro wrote entitled "The Torah of the King" which became notorious to the Israeli government because of accusations that it advised people to kill muslims. The book does discuss the various halachas concerning when a Jew is permitted, or commanded, to kill non-Jews. The Tanakh is a prime source for the book along with the Gemara. But while I am studying this coming Shabbat parasha I read the commandments concerning the Jewish king, and the Torahs he must write...

Deuteronomy - Chapter 17

14. When you come to the land the Lord, your God, is giving you, and you possess it and live therein, and you say, "I will set a king over myself, like all the nations around me,"
15. you shall set a king over you, one whom the Lord, your God, chooses; from among your brothers, you shall set a king over yourself; you shall not appoint a foreigner over yourself, one who is not your brother.
16. Only, he may not acquire many horses for himself, so that he will not bring the people back to Egypt in order to acquire many horses, for the Lord said to you, "You shall not return that way any more."
17. And he shall not take many wives for himself, and his heart must not turn away, and he shall not acquire much silver and gold for himself.
18. And it will be, when he sits upon his royal throne, that he shall write for himself two copies of this Torah on a scroll from [that Torah which is] before the Levitic kohanim.
19. And it shall be with him, and he shall read it all the days of his life, so that he may learn to fear the Lord, his God, to keep all the words of this Torah and these statutes, to perform them,
20. so that his heart will not be haughty over his brothers, and so that he will not turn away from the commandment, either to the right or to the left, in order that he may prolong [his] days in his kingdom, he and his sons, among Israel.

INN Story on Rabbi being harassed for this book : http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/news.aspx/139031
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: The Torah of the King, the commandment is in this coming Parasha
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
If he had been alive rabbi neither kahane would have made a good candidate for king
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »
He would, but you can't be a priest and a king

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
Muman, the gouvernment is basically right. But this is not the fault of the Torah, nor the fault of the Rabbis, but the fault of the Muslims. If the Muslims would behave like just normal people with common sense the law would never condemn them to punishment.

Imo this whole accusations are hypocritical, because nearly every land has today laws against hatecrimes. The problem is, that because the Muslims give their facist ideology the appearence of a religion nobody enforces the law on them and their propagandists.

If murderers who openly admit, that they did their crime because Islam commands it, are caught, it is said they are insane etc. Apologies and more apologies.

It is a twisted world.

The right to self defense exists even in secular Israel. So hot air about matters of course.  ::)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani