Author Topic: Facebook Use Lowers GPA  (Read 376 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Facebook Use Lowers GPA
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/education/blog/facebook-use-lowers-GPA/

Facebook, the ultimate time-suck, is also a GPA saboteur, according to a recent study. Students who study with their Facebook pages open, even just as background "noise," receive lower grades and have GPA's that are 20% lower than their non-multitasking peers.

Research Says

Researchers sampled 216 students between the ages of 19 and 54. They discovered that Facebook users averaged grade points of 3.06 while non-users posted GPA's of 3.82 on average.

Netherlands's psychologist Paul A. Kirschnera of the Centre conducted the study for Learning Sciences and Technologies at the Open University of the Netherlands with Aryn C. Karpinskib of Ohio State University. Their findings are set to be published soon by Computers in Human Behavior.

The Multi-tasking Myth

Kirschnera is quick to point out that Facebook is not necessarily to blame as much as is the myth that young people are good at multi-tasking.

Young people today are portrayed as fluent multi-taskers much more capable of actions like texting, listening to music and reading at the same time than their elders.

According to the research, however, this is nonsense. Kirschnera contends that performing multiple tasks takes more time, which leads to more mistakes, and that schools should "resist the fashionable views of educational gurus that children can multi-task, and that we should adapt our education systems accordingly to keep up with the times."

Social networks are not the only danger to learning. Educators should also keep an eye on increasing dependence on computers for information and research.

What Do You Think?

Is multi-tasking a myth? Are we too dependent on computers and the Internet? Share your stories.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
Re: Facebook Use Lowers GPA
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
I don't understand the allure of these social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter. If I want to get together with friends I give them a call or if I need to meet with a bunch of them I might use e-mail. It makes me sick to see grown donkey men updating their facebooks like faggy little fangirls.

I know a guy whose girlfriend almost dumped him because he added a female acquaintence to his facebook account. It's just madness.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
Re: Facebook Use Lowers GPA
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
I don't understand the allure of these social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter. If I want to get together with friends I give them a call or if I need to meet with a bunch of them I might use e-mail. It makes me sick to see grown donkey men updating their facebooks like faggy little fangirls.

I know a guy whose girlfriend almost dumped him because he added a female acquaintence to his facebook account. It's just madness.

it has to do with you being able to send a message to your entire school instantly while having the ability to read what they think. i think Facebook is awesome unless it is being used obsessively.