Author Topic: Small group of families that support the mosque  (Read 1050 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Small group of families that support the mosque
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »
It's about 100 against to each one for

http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/focus-u-s-a/focus-u-s-a-9-11-bereaved-families-group-we-support-efforts-to-build-nyc-islamic-center-1.313215 

This remembrance day seems like no other, with the controversy surrounding the Islamic center meant to be built in Lower Manhattan. Why do you support this project?

I am an American citizen, and I know that my family and many American families have the same story – families that came here to escape religious persecution. It just doesn’t make sense in America that we say no to the Muslim people – to the very people who denounced this horrible tragedy. This is, in our opinion, an act of peace and understanding and reconciliation. That’s what '9-11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows' stands for.

I have been teaching writing and rhetoric for 26 years, and I have been teaching students what rhetoric and racism are and what mechanisms work here – how no one think they are racists and bigots, and still we are nation that has a very bad history regarding racist tendencies and religious intolerance. These Muslim people didn’t perpetrate the crime on 9-11. 19 hijackers backed by a horrible criminal group Al-Qaeda did it, and also the Taliban supported that work, but not Muslim American people.
9-11 - AP - August 25 2010    

Donna O'Connor, national spokeswoman for September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, lost her daughter on September 11, 2001.
Photo by: AP

Did the Islamic center backers contact you asking to intervene on their behalf?

No. We reached out to Daisy Khan (Executive Director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement , wife of Imam Rauf who stands behind the Park 51 initiative), though not right away. But when it was clear that they were being ripped on by a lot of people who we thought were using 9-11 families as a monolithic voice against Daisy Khan – we as an organization reached out to her to say: “Look, we don’t think you are these horrible conquerors, we don’t think that this Islamic cultural center is more than just an attempt to build the facility, to support residents of Lower Manhattan with a swimming pool, with a gym, with a prayer center, with a memorial to 9-11, with all the other things this center was going to be for the use of people in Lower Manhattan.

So we reached out to her to say: "We are sorry you are going through this." When it got huge and reached a crescendo, Daisy actually tried to call me one day, and I couldn’t talk to her – I was inundated with people from the press calling and asking why we were 9-11 family members and we didn’t agree with other 9-11 family members who basically took the position that if we are going to do this, Allah is going to kill all the Americans.

It was so hyper inflated on the part of other people that should know better that to use the inflated inflammatory diction. I am happy they have the right to do it, just as I am happy that Imam Rauf and Daisy Kahn have the right to build this Islamic cultural center. So frankly, I never had an opportunity to have a conversation with Daisy after things got to a crescendo. But I look forward to having this conversation at some point. I don’t know what necessarily we would say, except for how stunned we are at all of this.

But as for the question – are we collaborators and in coalition with Imam and Daisy Khan – no, we are not. We don’t have to be. But we support the Muslim American efforts to build this facility. And we think it will be really shameful if they’ll be forced to move it elsewhere. I think it says to Muslim American people who are peace-loving people and raising children in this nation that they are another group in this nation that is not valued. I know what pain can be inflicted on groups of people when they have rhetoric shout at them in negative way”.

Did it take time for you to reach this position?

“In part this was always my position. My first response was on 9-11. We were in Canada when the attacks happened, and my husband and I barely made it over the border when they closed the border to Canada. I can’t tell you what it felt like to not be on the American soil during those attacks, and hearing that the Pentagon had been hit. When we got home, I remember thinking absolutely what I think today – we should not have attacked one other country before our government looked into how to keep American commercial airliners from flying into buildings. That was my number one question – how could that have happened?

And we need to really think about American foreign policy. I do not condone acts of terrorism – criminal acts perpetrated against civilians. It’s always horrible, evil and wrong. I don’t think there is one good reason on Earth my child had to be murdered because she went to work. At the same time I don’t think the first response to acts of violence had to be retribution. I think when we defend ourselves, we used to take measures after careful solid thought – some attempts of diplomacy. I am not naïve, I am not a pacifist, I just believe that human beings should not be murdered. And I don’t think the first act after a crime like that should be dropping a bomb”.

What kind of reactions have you received?

No matter how many people in this nation spoke out against the Iraq war, we still went to war. In 2006, when the American people elected a new Senate and Congress, we issued a mandate that we wanted the Iraq war stopped – and still no one heard us. So the response to our call that it wasn’t done in our families or in our children's names fell on deaf ears.

In the last year we saw rise in attempted domestic terrorism attacks. Do you believe that President Obama was right in his approach of dialogue with the Muslim world?

I don’t think we are ever going to stop these kinds of acts in a world once invoked language becomes part of the conversation culture. To me everything is language, everything is in a linguistic realm. And once those kinds of behaviors have been enacted, they will continue to be enacted until the emotion stops. I don‘t know any individual or government who can stop this. I think it is disingenuous of any political party to claim they are going to keep us safe. Nothing is going to keep us safe until we either run out of hate, or run out of weapons.

I think that’s unfortunate, whatever we can do to stop the hate, the motivation for using the weapons. But we are always going to have criminals and criminal behavior. Law enforcement is something we can get better at, but I think it is really part and parcel of what has happened in the U.S. over the past 9 years – that anything that occurs has political ramifications and political use. And I think that it’s exacerbating the crisis. To me it’s like throwing oil on a fire.

Some people claim that there are legitimate reasons to be wary of Islam. For example, you never hear about Buddhist terrorist attacks.

I am not going to dismiss horror that was perpetrated on our nation on 9-11. I would be the last person to minimize it. My kid is dead and I miss her profoundly. I am not diminishing terrorism. It’s a natural thing to fear that thing happening again and from those same people. But as a nation we had 9 years of “be afraid” from our leaders, when one said: “Let’s get Saddam Hussein." And we went as a nation and started war in Iraq when Osama Bin-Laden was nowhere near Iraq, looked nothing like Saddam Hussein. So part of this anti-Muslim sentiment comes out of 9 years of this fear mongering. That part of our leaders, it could have been minimized – but it wasn’t.

Since 9-11, I have known a lot of ordinary American people who never would have said “Look what those Muslims have done.” They never would have said that. Now they think they are doing me a favor, as a person who lost a loved one in September 11, by saying, “Look at those terrible people – and they are trying to rub your nose in this Ground Zero mosque victory.” And I’d like to ask them – who told you that? Where you are getting this from? Two months ago, you would never have said that. Why would you say it now? And clearly it’s because of what we’ve been told for 9 years. And it’s wrong.

Do you go to the remembrance ceremonies?

I never go to the ceremony at Ground Zero, because it was used for political purposes for several years, and frankly, it is excruciating to me to see it replayed in this way. I have spent 9-11 speaking out on certain issues, I have spent 9-11 at home with my family, trying to forget that 9-11 is a day when everybody remembers this horrific crime, as most of us live with it every single day of our lives. I have spent it at my daughter’s grave. I will never, however, think that it’s okay to participate in this ceremony until it’s said that the way 9-11 was used at a nation is over. And on that day, I might participate.”

A couple of years ago you urged the government to reopen the investigation.

I will never do it again. It’s over, because I think that we have choice in our lives: to continue to be angry, or to move on with our lives. I have two sons and I want them to see a happy, forgiving and loving mother. And I want them to see me experiencing joy again. And it’s over for me. If American people are comfortable with the fact that 18 minutes of air traffic control didn’t mean that my daughter was saved, and no one wanted a deeper investigation – I am not going to ask any more for it, it’s over for me. It’s better to move on. Whatever happened on that day will be discovered at some point, not in my lifetime. I am done with that, I will never do it again publicly."

So why do you stay involved in the current project, 9-11 Families for Peaceful Tomorrows?

It’s a group of family members that get together and say: there is a different response to violence, than anger, hate and retribution and more war. We don’t believe its advancing the cause for peace and we believe that all people should have the opportunity to live in peace.

Some 9-11 first responders claim that they feel abandoned.

When congress is debating whether or not 9-11 first responders – and some of them weren’t even from NY, they came from all over the country – it was months digging through the pile. How we could ever say, “We are going to think whether or not to pay for your medical expenses?” That it mind boggling. They were abandoned. They are not me, they are not my family, but I feel like they singlehandedly, in many cases, tried to save my daughter, that’s my feeling for them. They are heroic, and America has abandoned them – they shouldn’t go and ask for help. We should have been there with open arms for them.

Do you feel safe in today’s America?

There are so many threats. I guess I am afraid right now of a kind of hate that is growing, where political leaders are capitalizing on our fears. And I actually had a conversation on radio yesterday with a woman named Hedy Epstein, who is a Holocaust survivor – and her thinking about what is happening around Ground Zero and the way it’s being exploited, the way terrorism is being exploited by some people for political reasons. Her feeling was that there was a kind of rampant fear and intolerance running through Germany before Hitler came to power. And I am worried that when and if fascism comes here, we won’t even have resources to recognize it before it’s full blown – and there won’t be allies to save us. rofl holocaust survivor...not

I think sometimes we all get caught up in what acts of war and aggression ought to be – we forget to stop and think of what are the logical consequences of maintaining this level of hostility. I am one of those people trying to say simply, “Can we just take a look and understand that the logical consequences are dire?” And so, for me, the only comfort is to talk to people like Hedy Epstein who say, “The biggest danger, the biggest threat to America is that we will scare ourselves into fascism, or into war. That is, I think, the biggest danger here.
who is Hedy Epstein

http://hurryupharry.org/2010/01/07/the-sad-case-of-hedy-epstein/

A kike terrorist

The sad case of Hedy Epstein

Gene, January 7th 2010, 9:54 pm

This is slightly painful for me to write.

Hedy Epstein, an 85-year-old Jewish refugee from Nazi Germany, recently became an icon of the Free Gaza Movement and Viva Palestina when she flew from the US to Cairo and began a hunger strike after Egyptian authorities initially blocked a “solidarity march” into Gaza.

Ms. Epstein is routinely referred to by new-found admirers like Seumas Milne as a “Holocaust survivor,” as if this lends her extra credibility. I don’t know if this is how she describes herself. But it is a cynical misuse of the phrase.

Ms. Epstein was born in Germany in 1924 and left the country for England in 1939 as part of the Kindertransport to England. Her parents and most of her family in Germany were murdered in the Holocaust. Clearly her experience was harrowing and heartbreaking.

But is she really a Holocaust survivor? As I understand the term, it refers to a Jew who was in Nazi-occupied territory during the Holocaust. By almost all historical definitions, the Holocaust began in 1941 with the Nazi invasion of the USSR, by which time Ms. Epstein had been living in England for two years. If you want to call her a Holocaust survivor, you also have to call Henry Kissinger a Holocaust survivor. He and his family left Germany for the United States only a year before Ms. Epstein. And yet I’ve never seen or heard him described as as such. I think referring to either one as a Holocaust survivor– especially to score political points– is demeaning to those who really are.

Why is this painful for me? I knew Hedy Epstein slightly when I lived in St. Louis, Missouri, in the 1980s. We had a mutual friend, and were both regular guests at our friend’s Passover seders. I remember her as a dignified and decent woman with a strong social conscience. I don’t recall any hostility to Israel on her part. It’s sad that she is lending her name to a movement which is so hostile to Israel that it has been warmly received by Hamas leader Ismael Haniyeh in Gaza, who awarded them medals that they proudly displayed.

MIDEAST ISRAEL PALESTINIANS

The Free Gaza Movement website leave no doubt whose side it is on:

Speaking for all Palestinians, Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh accused Abbas of having “justified” [Operation Cast Lead], and added that his decision “cannot be seen as a conciliatory act. (It reflected an attitude that) would perpetuate internal conflict” and continued Israeli oppression. More than ever, Abbas exposed himself as an imperial tool on the side of the dark forces that perpetuate occupation and conflict and deny his people redress, justice, and the freedom they deserve.

It’s sad that Hedy Epstein is allowing herself to be used as a symbol by those like Milne, George Galloway and others who would be happy to see Israel– home for about half of the world’s Jews– disappear from the map.

Also distressing is that Ms. Epstein sits on the advisory board of the anti-Zionist group Deir Yassin Remembered, which is led by Holocaust deniers Daniel McGowan and Paul Eisen, both staunch defenders of imprisoned Hitler-lover and Holocaust denier Ernst Zundel (McGowan visited Zundel in prison). The Jew-hating Israel Shamir is a former board member. For this, Deir Yassin Remembered has been denounced even by anti-Zionists like Tony Greenstein and Sue Blackwell. Does Hedy Epstein know? Or care?

When I lived in Israel, I would sometimes see real Holocaust survivors on the buses, with their concentration camp numbers– somewhat faded but still visible– tattooed on their forearms. It’s deeply disturbing that Ms. Epstein– out of what I can only hope are misguided but decent motives– is in effect lending her support to a movement which only a few years ago was pleased to blow up those buses and everyone on them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:39:51 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Small group of families that support the mosque
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »
The so-called peaceful sufism opens the floodgates of onrushing hardliner muslam.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
Selfhating freaks. It should have been them in the building.

Online syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:28 AM »
Selfhating freaks. It should have been them in the building.

Brilliant...
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
It sounds like that small group of 9/11 family members are suffering from "Stockholm Syndrome" - sympathy with your hijacker and his cause.  They were probably memembers of the Democratic party/Leftists, and came to the conclusion that their relatives died because of, in their opinion, "the oppressive foreign policies of the United States."  It's very sad that they feel this way.  Hopefully, they won't go totally over to the other side like Cindy Seehan. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
Hedy Epstein the so called Holocaust survivor she never was even in a prison belongs to this group    IHR the Institute  for historical review a nazi group 

http://www.ihr.org/rounduparchive/0703.shtml
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03