Author Topic: Israel's Chief Scientist dismissed for doubting evolution & global warming  (Read 35659 times)

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
Re: Israel's Chief Scientist dismissed for doubting evolution & global warming
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
As can be seen from your postings, this subject is a major mental stumbling block for many.

They have been brought up on their mother's milk that the universe is billions of years old and that the Earth goes round the Sun.

When they become chozer b'teshuvah, they are faced with a cognitive dissonance crisis over the Torah's dating & cosmology. So much of a crisis, that for some there's a risk of a mental breakdown and even relinquishing Judaism as a result.

Aish HaTorah identified this, and put Schroeder to work to devise a satisfactory reconciliation, for their "Discovery Program".

And Schroeder did a good job, invoking Relativity, that the universe can be both 16 billion years old and 6000 years old, as well as both Heliocentric & Geocentric, all at the same time: thus, everyone's happy.

As I wrote, Schroeder's idea is good for those for whom a reconciliation is a major issue of emunah.

I personally don't need a reconciliation, as I am an Absolutist, not a Relativist: there is an aether, and the Earth is stationary wrt it, as shown by the zero-velocity MM experiments, and all the others. As far as I am concerned the universe is 6000 years old, preceded by Six Days of 24 hours, as shown by the 18 evidences I presented before viz: the rate of decrease of the earth and sun's magnetic fields, the rate of decrease in the size of the solar disc, the high residual warmth of the moon and mere half-inch of dust on its surface (which amazed the Apollo astronauts who had been told to expect being swamped!), the decrease in the speed of light, the paucity of helium and micro-meteoric dust in the atmosphere, the rate of mineral deposition into the oceans, the fallacious premises of radiometric dating, the still "unwrapped" state of the arms of the great spiral galaxies, the thickness of Saturn's rings, the continued existence of short-term comets, human population statistics, the dearth of human records and artifacts older than 6000 years, polystrate fossils, the abiogenic theory for the origin of oil, dendochronolgy (tree-ring dating), pleochroic haloes etc.

It's a good feeling that whether Relativist or Absolutist, a literal interpretation of our Torah is fully supported. This seems to be something that you cannot tolerate and irks you! Since Rav Kahane himself was a firm believer in a 6000 year old universe, if you are to be honest and consisitent with yourself, you should change your "Kahane-Was-Right BT" monica!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:10:04 PM by wonga66 »

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
As can be seen from your postings, this subject is a major mental stumbling block for many.

They have been brought up on their mother's milk that the universe is billions of years old and that the Earth goes round the Sun.

When they become chozer b'teshuvah, they are faced with a cognitive dissonance crisis over the Torah's dating & cosmology. So much of a crisis, that for some there's a risk of a mental breakdown and even relinquishing Judaism as a result.   

I think the risk of mental breakdown and relinquishing of Judaism is with you.  That is why you fight so hard on the views I'm presenting even though they are acceptable within Jewish belief.  You are very threatened that science might have something valuable to say because perhaps you were always taught (incorrectly) that "everything other than Judaism is sheker."    But in reality, you know that science uncovers some truths about the universe and it scares you because you probably mistakenly think that science and all other fields of wisdom or thought contradict Torah and therefore must be avoided and shunned.    So if science does have some truth to tell the world, but science is against Torah according to your rabbis, HOW CAN THAT BE!?  So you fight science. And you take a lazy route in understanding Chumash.   But again, this was a mistaken teaching that you were never weaned from even though men are supposed to grow up and mature and get passed the cheder level of understanding.   Unfortunately you still think that no other fields of wisdom can coincide with Torah, including a field that pursues the truth through demonstration of fact.  Thus you naturally feel repelled by truth-seeking endeavors because implicitly you assume that facts contradict Torah.   But if you fall into the above-described apikorsus of denying that truth has any relevance to Torah, it is dangerous for your soul and a major problem.  So be wary. 

I never had Judaism.   I came to practice it later on in life and learning about these issues was part of that process.   I go where the evidence leads me.   Views I've formulated through study and exploration over time are ones which many great rabbis, including ones I am close with, assert are acceptable within Jewish faith - so why should I assume otherwise just because wonga doesn't like my view, or considers it kefira, or would rather cling to something infantile because my beliefs are complex and require effort?  I'm a Jew regardless, but of course it would be a major problem if facts contradicted Judaism or Torah.  How could that not be a problem?   Would anyone feel happy about that or that that's not a problem?  However, I'm perfectly fine struggling with a problem if it exists (of course, that's not a real problem in the general sense - the facts agree with Torah).  And there are plenty of issues in life - personal problems, challenges, emunah, etc - to struggle with as a life-time effort and life-time project to know G-d.   But I am not at risk of any mental diseases or illnesses, thank G-d.

Aish HaTorah identified this, and put Schroeder to work to devise a satisfactory reconciliation, for their "Discovery Program".

And Schroeder did a good job, invoking Relativity, that the universe can be both 16 billion years old and 6000 years old, as well as both Heliocentric & Geocentric, all at the same time: thus, everyone's happy.

As I wrote, Schroeder's idea is good for those for whom a reconciliation is a major issue of emunah. 

So you are basically saying it's ok to lie to people to make them frum.   How admirable...   ::)

Schroeder does not consider his work a "lie for nebuchs" and he believes in it, as do a lot of people.   Even some from your neck of the woods who were born "absolutists."   (what a ridiculous term to describe yourself).

I personally don't need a reconciliation, as I am an Absolutist, not a Relativist: there is an aether, and the Earth is stationary wrt it, as shown by the zero-velocity MM experiments, and all the others. As far as I am concerned the universe is 6000 years old, preceded by Six Days of 24 hours,

Chazal never said this.   So why do you have to insist on it?   Well, I simply don't.   I still think it's funny the way you constantly harp on it, though.

as shown by the 18 evidences I presented before viz: the rate of decrease of the earth and sun's magnetic fields, the rate of decrease in the size of the solar disc, the high residual warmth of the moon and mere half-inch of dust on its surface (which amazed the Apollo astronauts who had been told to expect being swamped!), the decrease in the speed of light, the paucity of helium and micro-meteoric dust in the atmosphere, the rate of mineral deposition into the oceans, the fallacious premises of radiometric dating, the still "unwrapped" state of the arms of the great spiral galaxies, the thickness of Saturn's rings, the continued existence of short-term comets, human population statistics, the dearth of human records and artifacts older than 6000 years, polystrate fossils, the abiogenic theory for the origin of oil, dendochronolgy (tree-ring dating), pleochroic haloes etc.

In other words you lie to yourself because you are uncomfortable in engaging reality and facts.  You are afraid of what might happen.   You are afraid you might drop Judaism (G-d forbid!) 

Please do not stop practicing Judaism, wonga.   

Btw, the part I put in bold is a real laugher.

It's a good feeling that whether Relativist or Absolutist, a literal interpretation of our Torah is full supported. This seems to be something that you cannot tolerate and irks you!

Firstly, I don't know what you mean by these terms relativist/absolutist.

Secondly, depending on what you mean by literal (and for the purposes of this discussion all along I've been basically considering that term to mean that maaseh bereshith are a literal accounting describing the manner in which G-d created the world in the sense that it's factual checklist of every event and a scientifically described way and order in which it happened with literal descriptions and literal time scale etc)  - but maaseh bereshith are described as not literal by chazal so why does it make sense to insist on that?   anyway.... -    by this meaning of literal, the facts contradict the literal account.  By this definition of literal you mistakenly date the earth/universe as 6000 years old - and thus the facts contradict it.  The facts contradict a 6000 year old world.    So that doesn't irk me; I simply reject your interpretation (and your science) and some of your theological convictions which I also feel are baseless.  And consequently, I have a different approach to these subjects that I know to be wiser, more accurate, and more truthful.  I am quite confident in that much.

Since Rav Kahane himself was a firm believer in a 6000 year old universe, if you are to be honest and consisitent with yourself, you should change your "Kahane-was-righ" monica!

I never saw him writing or speaking about that (Please quote it if you have something!), but even if he did, I simply disagree in light of my own knowledge.   There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a rabbi, even one you consider great and one whom you "follow."  The name "Kahane-was-right" doesn't mean Rabbi Kahane is my "chassidic rebbe" or a perfect godlike figure I must imitate like a robot.   

Rabbi Kahane spoke often about the fact that a person doesn't need to go and ask a Rav for every single thing if he can figure out the subject for himself and delve into it, he can determine the halacha - and rabbis certainly can do this.  He himself certainly did this on a host of issues.   He said that it's only when one feels they do not know and cannot figure out the issue that they then ask their Rav - this was how he described his relationship with Rav M. Eliyahu.     If that is how he felt about halachic matters, how much moreso with regard to hashkafic matters would Rabbi Kahane encourage me to delve into the matter and come to an understanding to the best of my abilities!     Of course, since I'm not a rabbi myself, I've had help... With other rabbis!    If that's not acceptable to you, you have major problems buddy.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2010, 02:02:05 AM »
I think another thing that scares people is the concept of deep time. Human beings can sort of understand 6000 years. They have a general concept of how long a century is, and then they say there are 60 of those centuries in the past. This is something that's easy for them to grasp and visualize. 13 billion  years of the universe's age is such an incredibly vast, incredibly long amount of time, much of it without any humans at all. It's such a long amount of time that the human mind can't really comprehend it. I think this can be literally terrifying to some people, and so they want to cling to what's comfortable, something they can understand.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2010, 04:22:39 AM »
What's wrong with rating that evolution might be a description of how Gd made species?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Israel's Chief scientist dismissed for doubting evolution & global warming
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »
Putting words in our mouths now?

I have yet to hear a rebuttal to evolution or something like that as a description of Gd's hand in creating His divine creatures.

I have not seen any proof of anything other than talking about a theory which has many questions.

Humans are not the product of random mutations. Believing this degrades the human being to the level of a common animal. If you really want to believe you are a animal, you can justify any immoral act. Humans have so much to be grateful for, why would anyone want to try to say we are just a random mutation. That is criminal in my mind. To hate Hashems most brilliant creature that much as to bring him down to the level of a slug or protoplasm? That is just the worst thing that people can do.

I will bow out of this discussion because it pains me to think people actually believe this stuff. You are entitled to continue bickering about how your mother and father were baboons and your sister was an ape, but I know my family is descended from the divine light of creation...

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:49 AM »
Scientists have built a very compelling case for evolution over the years... Museums  are filled with fossils that show the evolutionary changes in various creatures over time... Honestly some accommodation has to be made for this evidence besides plainly ignoring it... I personally believe whatever the process G-ds hand was behind it.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »
 The fallacy of Radiometric dating and the unwarranted infering of vast ages,is based on the arbitrary assumption that none of the daughter elements were present at formation,viz. the patent and gross inaccuracy of the Uranium/Lead,Rubidium/Strontium,and Potassium/Argon methods.

Different methods giving ages of 14m, 30m, 95m and 750 million years for the same piece of rock.The unreliability of Carbon 14 is renowned eg.a freshly killed seal,when dated by the method showed that it had died `1300 years ago'!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
Each dating method has a different range of time for which it is valid. Also it might depend on what kind of material is being dated.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/carbon-14.htm

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
One issue with carbon or other elemental dating methods is that it ASSUMES that the rate of decay is CONSTANT. But we cannot know if the rate of decay was CONSTANT before humanity. Also according to Torah the laws of nature changed after the Flood of Noach. Is it a known fact that these CONSTANTS have NEVER changed?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »
I think another thing that scares people is the concept of deep time. Human beings can sort of understand 6000 years. They have a general concept of how long a century is, and then they say there are 60 of those centuries in the past. This is something that's easy for them to grasp and visualize. 13 billion  years of the universe's age is such an incredibly vast, incredibly long amount of time, much of it without any humans at all. It's such a long amount of time that the human mind can't really comprehend it. I think this can be literally terrifying to some people, and so they want to cling to what's comfortable, something they can understand.

Very interesting.

I draw a parallel.   Just as earth and the life on earth is a tiny miniscule blip on a gigantic vast unintelligibly large universe - so to the window of human existence on earth is but a small drop in the ocean of time that earth has existed!      Nonetheless, despite all that, (and it should give us pause and inspire humility) we are still nonetheless very important and the main reason for creation.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »
One issue with carbon or other elemental dating methods is that it ASSUMES that the rate of decay is CONSTANT.

There's no reason to think otherwise.    The elements exhibit a characteristic rate of decay that can be determined and calculated with mathematical equation.     You are basically saying, since the dating contradicts what I feel to be the age of the world, therefore it must be that that rate was somehow different at one point (for what reason?   What was the rate?   How did it change?).    But scientists don't have any reason to believe the rate was different.    Why should they deny their own findings because of your theological belief about the age of the world?

And if God made things appear that way, then that is essentially the way it is, conspiracy theories aside.
Likewise, when food is thought to be kosher based on halacha and one eats it, if objectively it really wasn't kosher because of some unknown issue that was impossible for this person to discern, he is not accountable for a sin in eating that food.  For all intents and purposes it was kosher (given he went through the appropriate halachic requirements to determine its kashrut).    Similarly, if the world appears by all scientific investigation to be old, then we can consider it old.   If there was some unknown reason why all of our scientific methods are flawed even though we can't pinpoint why, and there is no reason for us to believe they are wrong, we are not accountable.   God made things appear that way, didn't He?   So why would He deceive us (that's rhetorical - I've heard very lame answers to that question) and hold us accountable to deny our senses and deny the facts as we can discern them? 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »

Very interesting.

I draw a parallel.   Just as earth and the life on earth is a tiny miniscule blip on a gigantic vast unintelligibly large universe - so to the window of human existence on earth is but a small drop in the ocean of time that earth has existed!      Nonetheless, despite all that, (and it should give us pause and inspire humility) we are still nonetheless very important and the main reason for creation.

I'll just add one more thing and I hope it's not blasphemous...this universe is hardly even a blip to Hashem.

and one more thing...the beginning of time to the end of time barely comes close to the time it takes for Hashem to "blink His eye".

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
Re:  "the beginning of time to the end of time barely comes close to the time it takes for Hashem to "blink His eye". "

Do you think that Ha'Shem wears glasses?

Only reason I ask is because so many people, which He created, have to wear glasses for vision correction.

Or...were we all Created with perfect vision and eyesight, but degenerated and deteriorated somewhere along the line?

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Scientists have built a very compelling case for evolution over the years... Museums  are filled with fossils that show the evolutionary changes in various creatures over time... Honestly some accommodation has to be made for this evidence besides plainly ignoring it... I personally believe whatever the process G-ds hand was behind it.

thats not evidence, fossils are just bones in the ground...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

I have 20/15 vision. So I suppose Gd has 20/infinity physically and time focusing.  :P

Re:  "the beginning of time to the end of time barely comes close to the time it takes for Hashem to "blink His eye". "

Do you think that Ha'Shem wears glasses?

Only reason I ask is because so many people, which He created, have to wear glasses for vision correction.

Or...were we all Created with perfect vision and eyesight, but degenerated and deteriorated somewhere along the line?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

thats not evidence, fossils are just bones in the ground...
Fossils are fossils and bones are bones... They have found enough of both to paint a very compelling case for evolution...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years