Poll

What if you had a son or daugher and they were going to marry or be in a relationship with the following, in which situation would you be apt to disown your own child, if at all?

If he/she married someon a of a different relgion, but opposite sex?
If he/she were to decide to be in a relationship with somone of the same religion but same sex?
He/she marry someone of the same religion but that person is an evil terrible human being?
I refuse to disown any of my children if, Gd forbid, this were to happen.

Author Topic: Gd forbid this would happen to anyone but....  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Gd forbid this would happen to anyone but....
« on: May 26, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
Give reasons for your choice.  I also want to know what people of different religions and denominations thing especially fellow religious Jews.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Gd forbid this would happen to anyone but....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:33:23 AM »
I would like to vote more then once
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:47:59 AM »
My friend, this would be too easy a poll if you can pick all of the above.  But you can change your vote if you needed to :)

Right i'm just thinking why I chose a certain answer and I still can't justify why my answer is worse than the other ones.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »
Ok I chose, if my son or daughter, GD forbid, married someone of opposite sex but different religion..subject to change vote

this is why:

1. Gay couples can't make children. So no one innocent gets hurt.
2. Same religion couples that have bad marriages will get divorced but will have kids. All though the divorce will trouble the children, it too, becomes their strength to overcome later.

However, in a marriage with two different religions, the child born to the couple will have a confused soul...I think the the other two choices are the lesser of two evils to what can happen to children born to the couple...

Allen-T

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
I wouldn't disown my kid. I've made enough mistakes already.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »
O.K i could'nt stand having a gay kid
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Allen-T

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
My son is as not-gay as possible. Thank God. He's been chatting up the ladies since he was 4!! ;)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
My son is as not-gay as possible. Thank G-d. He's been chatting up the ladies since he was 4!! ;)

Thats funny :D

Allen-T

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
My son is as not-gay as possible. Thank G-d. He's been chatting up the ladies since he was 4!! ;)

yes, it was a bit embarassing when I'd take him in a supermarket and a sexy woman would walk by and he'd be like "oh wow, man...hey baby". But the ladies always loved it coming from a 4 year old!!

Allen-T

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »

yes, it was a bit embarassing when I'd take him in a supermarket and a sexy woman would walk by and he'd be like "oh wow, man...hey baby". But the ladies always loved it coming from a 4 year old!!

That's funny.  Like father like son.  ;D

Not at all. I have been involved with girls since I was 14, generally for a few years with one woman, then another. And I generally would fixate on one woman and go all out to win her over. My son is of the hit on every thing that wiggles mentality. I once went to visit him last year and there were 3 girls with him on the porch. I asked his mom about this and found out 7 just left. I constantly tell him I will kill him if he starts fornicating and so far I think he hasn't. He has had a positive attitude about women pounded into his head all along and I think that I have convinced him of how selfish, evil and damaging to the woman it is if he starts fornicating. He's a good kid.   

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 12:01:11 PM »
I wouldn't disown my son/daughter if they decided to marry someone of a different faith.  I would rather attempt to convince the non-Jewish spouse to convert, especially if the non-Jewish partner is the female.  If my daughter decided to marry a non-Jew, I would convince for a conversion, and if that's not possible I would attempt to persuade them to raise the child Jewish.  After all, the child WOULD be Jewish, and if a daughter can provide you a Jewish grandchild, I don't think it is justified to disown.  If my child decided to be in a homosexual relationship, I would try to convince him to attempt to be straight.  I believe homosexuality to be a natural inclination, and even though it is wrong and disgusting, I would never punish my child for something he was born with.  I think I could live with my child's decision to marry an evil human being, but I would definitely distance myself from him/her and try to become as active in the child's life as possible.  I would consider disowning my child if they married an extremely evil person, but that person would have to act on that and do horrible things to warrant that.  So in certain situations I would think that a horrible, evil spouse would warrant disowning, but I chose the last option because the horrible evil one is somewhat unclear and left open to interpretation.  There are some situations that I believe would warrant disowning:

1)The child becomes a self-loathing Jew, Nazi, anti-semite, or Muslim.
2) The child decided to marry a Muslim and raise his child in the Islamic faith.

"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
I believe homosexuality to be a natural inclination,

I'll tell you this i never had that inclination

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I believe homosexuality to be a natural inclination,

I'll tell you this i never had that inclination

Well obviously you're not a homosexual then.  Good for you.  I meant that it's a natural inclination for homosexuals, not in general of course.  It is an inclination that can be overcome with enough strength though, like with pedophilia.  I personally know some homosexual Jews who are trying to overcome this inclination, and if you ask any of them whether they were born with homosexuality, they will all tell you yes.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
I wouldn't disown my child based on who he/she would marry. The only situation I would consider disowning my child is if he/she became a crack addict to the point where there is no hope of recovery.

Bannedfan

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 10:19:33 AM »
I don't think you should disown your child for any of these reasons. In the parable of the Prodigal Son in Scripture, the father did not disown the prodigal even though he did much worse than all of the above.

Imerica

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »
If he/she married someon a of a different relgion, but opposite sex? 
If he/she were to decide to be in a relationship with somone of the same religion but same sex? 
He/she marry someone of the same religion but that person is an evil terrible human being?

I chose that I wouldn't disown my children at all in any case. . If any of my daughters married someone who was evil to them, no matter what religion they followed I'd be there for them no matter what. Its the evil, terrible person I'd be against.

If either of my daughters married someone of the same sex I'd still be a supportive mom and wouldn't disown them. That doesn't make any sense to me.

And if they decided to marry someone of a different religion, I'd be for it also.  Nothing is worth me losing touch with my girls.