Author Topic: Sheva Mitzvot Benai Noach  (Read 4961 times)

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Sheva Mitzvot Benai Noach
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:19:32 AM »
The Seven Laws of Noah demonstrate that almighty G-d has rules and laws for all human beings ...and that G-d loves us all. He does not leave anyone, Jew or non-Jew without guidance. To the non-Jew He has given the Seven Commandments.

Maimonides states "Whoever among the Nations fulfills the Seven Commandments to serve God belongs to the Righteous among the Nations, and has his share in the World to Come.".

Although there are many reasons for a non-Jew to follow the Laws of Noah (because one finds them moral and/or they appeal to his intellect or his sense of justice), in order to become a 'Ben Noah' (Child of Noach), one must, essentially, follow these laws because he recognizes that they were revealed by G-d (Ha shem) through Moses to the children of Israel at Mount Sinai.

Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, leader of the Chabad Lubavitch world Jewish movement, universally respected, and revered said that the Noahide Laws observance by all humankind will bring about universal peace and the Messianic Redemption. The Rebbe explained: because the basic nature of our world is perfect and good, our every good action is real and enduring, while every negative thing is just that -- a negative phenomenon, a void waiting to be dispelled. Hence the common equation of evil and good with darkness and light. Darkness, no matter how ominous and intimidating, is merely the absence of light. Light need not combat and overpower darkness in order to displace it -- where light is, darkness is not. A thimbleful of light will therefore banish a roomful of darkness.

The laws are:

1. BELIEF IN G-D
Do not worship Idols

2. RESPECT G-D AND PRAISE HIM
Do Not Blaspheme His Name

3. RESPECT HUMAN LIFE
Do Not Murder

4. RESPECT THE FAMILY
Do Not Commit Immoral Sexual Acts

5. RESPECT FOR OTHERS’ RIGHTS AND PROPERTY
Do Not Steal

6. CREATION OF A JUDICIAL SYSTEM
Pursue Justice

7. RESPECT ALL CREATURES
Do not be cruel to animals.

When Hashem created the world he gave commandments for all people to follow, these are know as the Sheva Mitzvot Benai Noach. Later when Hashem revealed the Torah Benai Yisrael were given 613 mitzvot to follow, but Hashem still loves the Goyim and wishes them to follow his commandments it is through this service that anyone may draw close to Hashem.

I took most of this from the website http://www.noahide.org
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: Sheva Mitzvot Benai Noach
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:18 AM »
Thanks for this.

Just one correction. Law #7 is not really "Respect All Animals".

It's "Don't eat a limb off a live animal" i.e. the animal must be fully dead before its cut up any of the meat. i.e. Fear Factor sometimes violates this prohibition. Also some non-Kosher slaughterers do start cutting while the animal is unconscious but not really dead.

The imporant thing to know is that is a NEGATIVE mitzvah (though shall not) not a positive mitzvah (though shall). Noachides only have one positive mitzvah and that's to Establish courts of Justice.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
Lubab, have you ever done any work in spreading the Sheva Mitzvot Benai Noach ???
Ramban

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:06:31 PM »
A little. Why do you ask?

I learned about them from a good teacher. It's also important to learn from the Rambam in Hilchos melachim about them.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »
YES I KNOW A GIRL WHO IS A NOAHIDE SHE'S GERMAN ALTHOUGH HER PATERNAL GREAT GRANFATHER WAS JEWISH, SHE TOLD me FOR EACH OF LAWS THERE ARE MANY SUB LAWS .Well anyhow shes been a Noahide for about 8yrs she feesl she now wants become Jewish
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:37:32 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »

I learned about them from a good teacher. It's also important to learn from the Rambam in Hilchos melachim about them.
Two reasons, one I want to know what it is like working with them, showing them the path to Hashem. What challenges you face, how receptive they are, how many Ben Noach there are etc.

And I would like to make a Documentary about the Ben Noach movement someday. So anything I can learn now will be helpful later on.
Ramban

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:53:39 PM »

Two reasons, one I want to know what it is like working with them, showing them the path to Hashem. What challenges you face, how receptive they are, how many Ben Noach there are etc.

And I would like to make a Documentary about the Ben Noach movement someday. So anything I can learn now will be helpful later on.

Here are a couple of good Noahide links (these are rare). One is a yahoo group. Better to ask the people who run these, those questions. I haven't done so much of the hands on, just mostly learning.

NoachideChassid   (for Noachide Law & view) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NoachsNeighborhood/

Dr. Schulman's www.AskNoah.com

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
I am familiar with asknoah.org
Ramban