Author Topic: Could you name some good Jewish music for me?  (Read 565 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Could you name some good Jewish music for me?
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:46:14 AM »
  I am trying to expand what I listen to.  I would like to learn more about Jewish music.

-I like Klezmer music [Ashkenazi?], but I am not really familiar with any specific artists.

-I am also interested in what Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews have listened to over the years, or Jews from anywhere for that matter.

-I know I like an artist who goes by, Mordechai ben David, and he is from Israel [he has sort of a modern sound, but its religious].

-Debbie Friedman is cool sometimes, and I have also heard songs in Hebrew played to nylon string guitars that I like... though I cannot remember any specific nylon guitar playing Jews specifically by name.

-If you have a recommendation it does not need to be strictly traditional, I sometimes like heavy metal and electronic music as well [not hiphop though, although I like a few Matisyahu songs]. 

If you can help me out it with discovering some new good Jewish music I would really appreciate it.

Todah Rabbah!  8)
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Could you name some good Jewish music for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
Very interesting you should ask that...

I was just listening to some modern/classic Jewish music. Mostly Chassidic and classical Ashkenazi music.

I am currently listening to Mordechai Ben David. Or MBD.

How about Lipa Schmeltzer?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:08:29 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:15:35 AM »
Of course I also listen to Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach quite a lot:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:25:08 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:12:56 AM »
Thanks Muman, I will give these a listen.  ;D
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »

Well, there is plenty of Jewish music I love...

In my opinion, one of the most beautiful things you can ever listen to are the Jewish Songs for Cello and Piano, interpreted by Sonia Wieder-Atherton and Daria Horova.

As far as Yiddish songs are concerned, I recommend Di Goldene Pawe by Jalda Rebling (very beautiful, makes me cry...).

One thing I am a great fan of is Tangele : The Pulse of Yiddish Tango.

When it comes to Klezmer, I love Yom, a real virtuoso. The Klezmorim, The Chicago Klezmer Ensemble and The Budapester Klezmer Band are among my favorite bands. You also have a beautiful record by the famous Itzhak Perlman : Klezmer, In the Fiddler's House.

In a more modern spirit, I enjoy Anthony Coleman playing compositions by Mordechai Gebirtig.