Author Topic: Plocker Op-Ed on YNet : Claims Wikileaks supports Israels position  (Read 592 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I am still caught in the middle on this topic.... But this op-ed in YNet, which I consider to be a left of center news source, seems to support some JTF members opinion on this topic...

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3991204,00.html

The world thinks like us

Op-ed: WikiLeaks boosted Israel by revealing that most world leaders share our views
Sever Plocker

Had WikiLeaks not existed, Israel would have had to invent it. The massive leak of US diplomatic documents produces a clear, unequivocal picture: The whole world, and not only Israel, is terrified by the Iranian nuclear threat.

Iran’s nuclearization is not Israeli paranoia, as certain camps try to argue. It makes all world leaders, from Riyadh to Moscow, lose sleep. The Iranian issue is the common thread in the hundreds of thousands of documents that were leaked and it produces a narrative whereby the world expects Israel and the United States, in this order, to do something to stop “Hitler from Tehran.”

Some people feared WikiLeaks’ leaks because of the embarrassment to American diplomacy and the fears that the lives of US agents would be jeopardized. Yet that was a false alarm. The leak does not hurt America’s foreign policy, with the exception of a few tales recounted by junior diplomats.

The leak reinforces the main message of two US administrations - which turned out to be incredibly similar to the main message conveyed by Israeli governments: Iran constitutes the clear, immediate and greatest threat to the world’s stability, and the world needs to act towards uprooting this malignant tumor. All the rest is dwarfed by it.

Israel largely unscathed

Some media outlets indeed tried to make a big deal out of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s supposed order to US diplomatic staff to spy after senior UN officials. However, scrutinizing the documents makes it clear that this had to do with concerns about close cooperation between some UN officials and Hamas/ Hezbollah. This theme had been frequently raised by Israel too.

In fact, the ocean of leaks has not yet produced an item that casts a negative light on Israel. Netanyahu came out of it (relatively) ok, Olmert came out of it (relatively) ok, and even Mossad Chief Meir Dagan’s statement about the US need to encourage the protest of intellectuals and students in Iran is commensurate with a liberal, democratic worldview and with accumulated experience in toppling dictatorships.

It is doubtful whether in recent years Israel’s foreign and defense policy received such significant backing and reinforcement as happened Sunday. At least on the Iranian front, and apparently in respect to quite a few other issues too, world leaders – including the Arab world – think like us but are ashamed to admit it. WikiLeaks exposed this shame.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Plocker Op-Ed on YNet : Claims Wikileaks supports Israels position
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
That's why I wonder what the purpose of wikileaks was?  Was it to bring the evil US govt to justice like JTF tries to do?  Or was it because the person who stole the documents was genuinely evil and hates this country and wants it destroyed?

I would support someone who wants to change America for the better even if it means doing a wikileaks thing to bring about a change to the regime.  But in this situation, I doubt that was this guy's intention.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:58 PM »
It doesn't really matter what you "consider" ynet to be.   It is in fact a leftist news site.    But what you quoted is an op-ed, so do you happen to know what "Sever Plocker" 's political alignment is?  If not, there's really nothing to say about that.   

Muman, if you are trying to say that JTF'ers are wrong because ynet takes the same position, that is excessively passive-aggressive of you, and it is a totally fallacious argument!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »
It doesn't really matter what you "consider" ynet to be.   It is in fact a leftist news site.    But what you quoted is an op-ed, so do you happen to know what "Sever Plocker" 's political alignment is?  If not, there's really nothing to say about that.   

Muman, if you are trying to say that JTF'ers are wrong because ynet takes the same position, that is excessively passive-aggressive of you, and it is a totally fallacious argument!

NO KWRBT,

I have said I am still undecided on whether this will help or hurt Israels interests. I am looking at articles from many different sources, using googles news aggregator. I have found many opinions and I don't know what exactly to believe. I want to see what the pundits are saying, and then try to understand why...

I am not trying to say anyone is wrong or right at this time.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
That's why I wonder what the purpose of wikileaks was?  Was it to bring the evil US govt to justice like JTF tries to do?  Or was it because the person who stole the documents was genuinely evil and hates this country and wants it destroyed?

I would support someone who wants to change America for the better even if it means doing a wikileaks thing to bring about a change to the regime.  But in this situation, I doubt that was this guy's intention.
Umm Dan... newsflash, this country doesn't exactly deserve not being destroyed...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »

Umm Dan... newsflash, this country doesn't exactly deserve not being destroyed...

Everybody has free will.. Every nation has free will to turn things around before it is too late.  Maybe America still has a chance.  If it is to be destroyed, well, I would rather Americans die fighting for a better America than to sit passively.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »

You don't mean that Dr.BrennanFan.  We do not exactly deserve to be destroyed...we need to be restored.  I agree with Dr. Dan's post. 

Wikileaks is not the answer to our problems and corrupt government officials.  We the people are.  I think it makes us look weak in the eyes of other countries to have leaks like this occur.  I think the appearance of weakness is detrimental in our standing in the world.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
We look weak in the eyes of other countries because we have become so self-hating, greedy, and shiftless that we elected a monster like BHO, not because of Wikileaks. All Americans care about is getting goodies for free (healthcare, food, tuition, etc.) and don't give a damn about Nazism in the Oval Office.

And I meant every word of what I said--America lynched Jonathan Pollard and made Israel give up Gaza and is pressuring it to commit national suicide, and most Americans either don't care or are actively supporting those abominations. Biblically speaking America does deserve the ultimate punishment... I hope that G-d spares the innocent, but usually the "innocent" (myself included) are people who knew the evil going on and didn't do enough to stop it.