Author Topic: A Torah Jew's response to "The Dangers of 'Ex-Gay' therapy," NBC program  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Wow!

OmedYashar is a wonderful Jew, and here he attests to his own personal experience with JiM, Journey into Manhood, which helped him marginalize and eliminate his sexual desires for other men, so that he can achieve his personal aspirations of Torah observance and (G-d willing) a loving marriage with children in the future.

OmedYashar takes the APA to task for their politically correct stance with which these so-called psychiatrists delegitimize every single person who sincerely dislikes the same-sex desires they feel and every person who seeks instead to have a real heterosexual relationship and desire despite their current inclinations.   Everyone who wants to rid themselves of their same-sex desires rather than adopting the gay-lifestyle are done a disservice by the APA and the NBC program which trumpeted their dishonest views. 

I was already amazed with OmedYashar's story, and now I am even more impressed with his determination and courage.   

You can look at his blog to know more about his background.  http://abrahamsfaith.blogspot.com/

This video is very important.  It certainly opened my eyes because I was starting to believe all that hype about "they can't change" etc...   

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
Re: A Torah Jew's response to "The Dangers of 'Ex-Gay' therapy," NBC program
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
even though i support gay rights, i agree with what this guy said completely. i believe that sexual orientation is caused by a combination of nature and nurture and if someone decided that he wants to at least change the nurture part and become straight, he should be given the tools available to straighten up. i think that they should research into safer methods of psychologically changing someone

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »
It's not like changing underwear. Imagine trying to change a heterosexual into an exclusive homosexual and getting him to be attracted to the same sex. In effect doing the opposite to a homosexual is probably even more difficult but not necessarily impossible.

It's not an easy thing to change like that. My heart goes out to homosexuals who want to stop.  Those people should be given the highest compassion and patience.

To encourage them that it's ok to live that lifestyle is the least compassionate thing a person can do to them. I think that if not giving that option more of them would at least want to try and stop the behavior.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
My only issue is fairness to women who marry these men being heartbroken when they revert (which many will) to homosexuality.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »
My only issue is fairness to women who marry these men being heartbroken when they revert (which many will) to homosexuality.

But some of them, like Omed Yashar who made this video, are changing because they deeply desire to have a loving relationship with a woman to have a marriage and kids.    Consider this:  If change has really occurred where the therapist and patient feel they've made real progress (Omed yashar obviously feels that way), then, is it not quite similar to the scenario of a baal teshuvah Jew who might some day "revert" to promiscuity?   No one considers it "unfair to women" that baalei teshuva get married to other bt girls or FFB girls and have families with them.   

I think you are being unfair to these men to deny them their aspirations.   Who defines what person is "perfect" and therefore ready for a risk-free marriage?   There is no such thing!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
It's not like changing underwear. Imagine trying to change a heterosexual into an exclusive homosexual and getting him to be attracted to the same sex. In effect doing the opposite to a homosexual is probably even more difficult but not necessarily impossible.

It's not an easy thing to change like that. My heart goes out to homosexuals who want to stop.  Those people should be given the highest compassion and patience.

To encourage them that it's ok to live that lifestyle is the least compassionate thing a person can do to them. I think that if not giving that option more of them would at least want to try and stop the behavior.

There was a guy I used to go to the shooting range with and I found out he was gay, I asked him why he followed that lifestyle and he said that he grew up a Christian and dated women and was attracted to women but was emotional similar to a women. When he went through several breakups, he started dating guys and admitted he wasn't born gay that it was a lifestyle change.

I highly doubt homosexuality is something someone is "born" with, I think there are other factors that influence it like metrosexual lifestyle or if someone is doing something they aren't supposed to (like a boy playing with barbie dolls) and the parents don't tell him it's wrong, they believe there is nothing wrong with those feelings and nothing suppresses it.

Think of it like this, how many kids used to step on bugs or would use those magnifying glasses to burn insects because they thought it was funny? Kids don't know right from wrong so if they grow up with that mentality, is it any surprise that this would explain how homosexuality is tolerated and why men are dating other men?

It is immoral and a sin, there's no need to sugarcoat it.

Obviously there's reasons people become gay, the problem is society today tolerates it and gives them justification that what they are doing is right.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
We don't know if it is something someone is born with, but for many homosexuals, men for example, they have attraction to other men like a woman has an attraction to a man.  It is as if they were supposed to be women and it is astounding.  Not saying that all homosexuals are like this, but there are many that I know who are like this.

I wasn't sugar coating anything either.  Men should not practice homosexuality. But having a homosexual attraction is not a sin.  It is a problem for those men who are only attracted to the same sex.  The question is how to fix it.  And quite frankly, for those who are of the homosexual persuasion, we have to compassionate and realize that changing teams, so to speak, is far from easy.

There was a guy I used to go to the shooting range with and I found out he was gay, I asked him why he followed that lifestyle and he said that he grew up a Christian and dated women and was attracted to women but was emotional similar to a women. When he went through several breakups, he started dating guys and admitted he wasn't born gay that it was a lifestyle change.

I highly doubt homosexuality is something someone is "born" with, I think there are other factors that influence it like metrosexual lifestyle or if someone is doing something they aren't supposed to (like a boy playing with barbie dolls) and the parents don't tell him it's wrong, they believe there is nothing wrong with those feelings and nothing suppresses it.

Think of it like this, how many kids used to step on bugs or would use those magnifying glasses to burn insects because they thought it was funny? Kids don't know right from wrong so if they grow up with that mentality, is it any surprise that this would explain how homosexuality is tolerated and why men are dating other men?

It is immoral and a sin, there's no need to sugarcoat it.

Obviously there's reasons people become gay, the problem is society today tolerates it and gives them justification that what they are doing is right.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein