Author Topic: Sid Meier's Civilization V  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Sid Meier's Civilization V
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
Just a funny tidbit here.  I love this game, but have only played up to civilization III.  Look at the different empires and then look at Arabia...

http://www.civilization5.com/#/civilizations-all/
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Just a funny tidbit here.  I love this game, but have only played up to civilization III.  Look at the different empires and then look at Arabia...

http://www.civilization5.com/#/civilizations-all/

the arab guy sounds like awad from "jamil v'awad yotzim l'jihad" from Latma

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
I played civilizations V, playing as the Greeks, addicting game.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
I played civilizations V, playing as the Greeks, addicting game.

HOw is it compared to civilization IV and III?   Never played IV, but I have it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »
I got 4 a few years ago and played it for a while but there was something wrong with it and it became a huge problem to load up the game.    There were a few times that it took many many tries to load the game up, I downloaded the patches and fixes and it still just wouldn't work properly.  Eventually I just decided it wasn't worth my time.  Cool game though.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »
I got 4 a few years ago and played it for a while but there was something wrong with it and it became a huge problem to load up the game.    There were a few times that it took many many tries to load the game up, I downloaded the patches and fixes and it still just wouldn't work properly.  Eventually I just decided it wasn't worth my time.  Cool game though.

was it a download game?  Funny I got it a few years ago on Ebay and the only thing I ever did with it is read the manual on Yom Kippur in 2009.  I like the idea of there being religions.  Did that civilization IV?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:48:33 PM »
I got 4 a few years ago and played it for a while but there was something wrong with it and it became a huge problem to load up the game.    There were a few times that it took many many tries to load the game up, I downloaded the patches and fixes and it still just wouldn't work properly.  Eventually I just decided it wasn't worth my time.  Cool game though.

was it a download game?  Funny I got it a few years ago on Ebay and the only thing I ever did with it is read the manual on Yom Kippur in 2009.  I like the idea of there being religions.  Did that civilization IV?

It was a game I bought from the store actually.   It may be the only computer game I've bought in the past 5 years or so (or more).  I don't try to get them online because I don't know much about it and probably it will end up not working optimally.  the safer bet is to get the actual game, but of course that didn't work out for me either.

It was sid meier's civilization 4, and yeah it had religions, that was pretty cool, I used to be General Rabbi Kahane and of course adopted the Jewish culture and religion aspects to my empire.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
I got 4 a few years ago and played it for a while but there was something wrong with it and it became a huge problem to load up the game.    There were a few times that it took many many tries to load the game up, I downloaded the patches and fixes and it still just wouldn't work properly.  Eventually I just decided it wasn't worth my time.  Cool game though.

was it a download game?  Funny I got it a few years ago on Ebay and the only thing I ever did with it is read the manual on Yom Kippur in 2009.  I like the idea of there being religions.  Did that civilization IV?

good one  what did the character look like?
It was a game I bought from the store actually.   It may be the only computer game I've bought in the past 5 years or so (or more).  I don't try to get them online because I don't know much about it and probably it will end up not working optimally.  the safer bet is to get the actual game, but of course that didn't work out for me either.

It was sid meier's civilization 4, and yeah it had religions, that was pretty cool, I used to be General Rabbi Kahane and of course adopted the Jewish culture and religion aspects to my empire.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »

I was usually doing the WWII scenario, so I think they used Eisenhower's picture, but it had the changed name.     On games that I started from scratch, I think I was using one of the middle eastern characters, possibly Cyrus the great if I remember correctly.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

I was usually doing the WWII scenario, so I think they used Eisenhower's picture, but it had the changed name.     On games that I started from scratch, I think I was using one of the middle eastern characters, possibly Cyrus the great if I remember correctly.

Wish there was an option to create your own civilization and leader.

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
I've played all the Civ games...will get to V soon.

But I have to ask...fifth iteration of the game...and still...no Hebrews!?!?!  Come on, Sid, so many minor historical civilizations and you completely ignore the most significant.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
From 20 years ago, Pirates, was a great game.  Swashbuckler!
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
I've played all the Civ games...will get to V soon.

But I have to ask...fifth iteration of the game...and still...no Hebrews!?!?!  Come on, Sid, so many minor historical civilizations and you completely ignore the most significant.

Yeah, I agree.