Author Topic: To the chefs of JTF - chicken soup - Kosher salt or Table salt?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: To the chefs of JTF - chicken soup - Kosher salt or Table salt?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »

THATS A spicy Matzoh Ball!!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

THATS A spicy Matzoh Ball!!

That looks great.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 06:51:51 AM »
KWRBT, here's what I think he means by straining the soup. 

When you make soup, and then refrigerate it overnight, a layer of fat will form overnight.  When you go to reheat the soup, simply spoon off the layer of fat, and you have low fat soup.

That is partly what I mean. Removing the coagulated fat from the top is a must (unless you like greasy, fatty soup). However, remember I said to leave the liquid, chicken and vegetables in the pot overnight. So the other part of it is to use a strainer to catch all the solid stuff and retain only the liquid. As for whether or not that is the soup, actually what you have there is chicken broth. If you want to only have clear chicken broth as your soup, then you are done. However, you can add vegetables, rice, noodles, etc...really whatever you like to "make the soup". It's totally up to you. If you add additional items, the soup only needs to cook long enough to cook those items since it already has all the flavor it needs.

One other thing that I should clarify. When you cook the chicken in the pot, use a chicken carcass because you will be cooking the liquid for hours. If you cook the whole chicken and then plan to add some of the meat in your final soup, the meat will probably be a little tough. What I actually like to do is roast a chicken, have a nice chicken dinner, remove most of the remaining meat, then make the chicken broth with the carcass and use the remaining meat in the final soup.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »

When you make soup, and then refrigerate it overnight, a layer of fat will form overnight.  When you go to reheat the soup, simply spoon off the layer of fat, and you have low fat soup.

That is partly what I mean. Removing the coagulated fat from the top is a must (unless you like greasy, fatty soup). However, remember I said to leave the liquid, chicken and vegetables in the pot overnight. So the other part of it is to use a strainer to catch all the solid stuff and retain only the liquid. As for whether or not that is the soup, actually what you have there is chicken broth. If you want to only have clear chicken broth as your soup, then you are done. However, you can add vegetables, rice, noodles, etc...really whatever you like to "make the soup". It's totally up to you. If you add additional items, the soup only needs to cook long enough to cook those items since it already has all the flavor it needs.

One other thing that I should clarify. When you cook the chicken in the pot, use a chicken carcass because you will be cooking the liquid for hours. If you cook the whole chicken and then plan to add some of the meat in your final soup, the meat will probably be a little tough. What I actually like to do is roast a chicken, have a nice chicken dinner, remove most of the remaining meat, then make the chicken broth with the carcass and use the remaining meat in the final soup.

Thanks, great advice!

When you strain out all the solid stuff, but then add new fresh vegetables and cook them in the broth, what do you do with the original solid vegetables etc?   You don't eat them?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »

Thanks, great advice!

When you strain out all the solid stuff, but then add new fresh vegetables and cook them in the broth, what do you do with the original solid vegetables etc?   You don't eat them?

No, toss them in the garbage. They have faithfully given up their lives for the greater good of the soup.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »

Thanks, great advice!

No, toss them in the garbage. They have faithfully given up their lives for the greater good of the soup.

Ha!   

Got it.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
Is sea salt kosher?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Is sea salt kosher?

I believe sea salt can be kosher but it has to be processed correctly in order to be so.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
How did they kosherfy salt in the days before technology?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774