Author Topic: what does the Halacha says on Chozrim Betshuva?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Super Genius

• New JTFer
what does the Halacha says on Chozrim Betshuva?
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Just interested to know since i converted back to Judaism.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: what does the Halacha says on Chozrim Betshuva?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
I don't know who are you anyway
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
How does one convert back to Judaism? Do you mean you were born Jewish and went off the derech, and what did you 'convert' to?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I suspect that this person is one of the recurring trolls we have to deal with.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »
It is ben m.

The question doesn't even make sense.    What does the halacha say about hozrim betshuva regarding what ?

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
Super Genius wrote:

To an advance the discussion in a Torah shiur, Rabbi Moshe Feinstein,
would often try to "interpret" the intention of an improperly phrased question addressed to him.
I will try this method here.
Perhaps, Super Genius, was originally a Gentile, who converted to Judaism.
After some time, he left the observance of Torah and converted to another religion.
Later, he decided, he really did believe in Judaism and wants to return to it.
The question he had, might be, does he need a new conversion?
Answer, if you were a sincere convert at the time of your conversion, which includes the commitment to observe the Torah entirely and had the conversion done properly by means of a proper rabbinical court  of legitimate rabbis and not phoneys such as so-called reform and conservative rabbis, then your conversion remains valid, even if you temporarily went bad.
Then you would not need a second conversion.
Should you take upon yourself, extra stringencies or self inflicted punishments for your past evil actions or at least dip in a mikva?
In previous generations, the rabbis were more prone to suggest, but not require, extra stringencies or self inflicted punishments to help the atonement or Teshuva process.
In later generations, given the weaknesses of modern society, the rabbis are usually more inclined to suggest more and fixed Torah study as a correction measure.
A higher level of repentance is to make a public fixing in the very area that you had your fall.
So for example, when Julius Ciss, who was once active in the Jews for Jeersus movement (the name of the christian deity was intentionally mispelled) returned to Judasim, he ended up becoming the head of the Canadian branch of Jews for Judaism, a countermissionary organization
see http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/News.aspx/2744 for details
I am giving you a general outline. You should however consult with a rabbi, because in some cases, mere ideological repentance is not enough. For example, if you were a robber, you would have to return the money, in many situations to the victim. Again, consult a rabbi for details.
Furthermore, if let's say you were involved in Jews for Jeersus and you fear any contact with them, even for countermissionary purposes might pull you down, then stay away entirely from these evil influences.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:55:42 AM »
That is a very good response edu, but I think we know who this is...

If this is Ben M I believe he was born Jewish but went off the derech, he has expressed some nazi tendencies on the forum, and this has caused him to be shunned here. I do not have any real animosity towards him but I have heard allegations that he associates with another ex-JTF member who has spread libels and slander against JTF and Chaim Ben Pesach, the leader of this forum. If this is the case we need to consider carefully whether we will forgive him.

If he expresses a sincere desire to do teshuva, to ask for forgiveness for his past transgressions, then I think that we should allow him to do so. I do not want to stand in the way of any Jew doing teshuva. But it is difficult to believe that within such a short period of time that he has been able to disconnect from some of his wilder ideas, such as his very strong racist ideas, and his adulation of nazis. But I do know that teshuva is possible, even in some very extreme cases. This is why I am willing to personally extend my forgiveness to him.

This is not an official policy, and I sense that other JTF members are still going to hold a grudge against him. Of course I am stipulating that he has actually gone to a Rabbi, and has begun to study Torah, and has a true desire to learn the Jewish faith. If this is the fact then maybe we can assist him in this...

If he has not done teshuva then he is engaging in a very devious plot. And to try to deceive the righteous is an evil deed.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »

If this is Ben M I believe he was born Jewish but went off the derech,

He's born a chiloni, he was never on any derech.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »

Even a Chiloni can do Teshuva... Maybe he was never religious but just being born to a Jewish mother is enough to be counted among the Jewish people. If there is a question concerning the Jewishness of the mother then there may be some problems...

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

Even a Chiloni can do Teshuva...  
 I DIDN'T CONTRADICT THAT MUMAN

I am BT, remember?  That means I did not grow up "on the derech."   I am well aware that people from different backgrounds can become traditional religious Jews.   There is no reason to lecture me about this.

Maybe he was never religious but just being born to a Jewish mother is enough to be counted among the Jewish people. If there is a question concerning the Jewishness of the mother then there may be some problems...

I DID NOT SAY HE IS NOT JEWISH.  But being a Jew does not mean one is on the derech.  Or else this criminal would still be considered on the derech because he's still Jewish.   Please make sense.

"Off the Derech" is a phenomenon that refers to a Jew raised religious (or became religious) but then goes off the derech, meaning he stops observing the mitzvoth.

You said "maybe he WENT OFF THE DERECH"    Went off the derech means he had to be on a derech to begin with.    A chiloni is not on the derech.

Btw, ben m is a nazi, so don't compare him to an off the derech Jew.     At least off the derech Jews are not necessarily traitors to our people and dont hate us and can possibly come back to the fold if they realize their mistaken ways.  

Those who become nazis need the electric chair.