Author Topic: Unions make up 40 percent of employees exempted from Obamacare  (Read 762 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Unions make up 40 percent of employees exempted from Obamacare
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
http://conservativeactionalerts.com/blog_post/show/1921

[Wednesday], the Deparment of Health and Human Services announced it had granted more than 500 new waivers to Obamacare's requirement that health plans have annual limits of no less than $750,000. This annual limit requirement climbs to $1.25 million next year and then to $2 million.

The reason these exemptions from the law are needed is that Obamacare forces all health insurance consumers to over-insure themselves and pay high premiums as a result. Without the waivers, many companies, non-profits and unions would simply drop their health plans. As of 2014, the waivers will no longer be available -- at least, that's the way the law is written.

It is worth noting that there are 166 union benefits funds now exempted from this requirement, which account for about 40 percent of the exempted workers. This means that although there are only 14.6 million unionized employees in the United States, and 860,000 of them are already exempted from this provision of Obamacare.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Unions make up 40 percent of employees exempted from Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
The fact that they were immediately granted waivers so these people wouldn't lose their original health insurance tells you that if they are exempted, we should all be exempted.  The law is supposed to apply equally to everyone.  Why do some of us deserve it and not others?  They contributed to the Democrat party.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
The fact that they were immediately granted waivers so these people wouldn't lose their original health insurance tells you that if they are exempted, we should all be exempted.  The law is supposed to apply equally to everyone.  Why do some of us deserve it and not others?  They contributed to the Democrat party.

yes, but I heard someone make a very good and what I think is valid point the other day. When all the provisions of Obamacare go into affect and the majority of the population is stuck with sub par insurance coverage, the unions will have one heck of a bargaining tool to recruit more members. It goes something like this...

Union hack: So, you don't like your health benefits?
Non-union worker: No, they stink.
Union hack: Well, let me show you what you can get if you join the union.
Non-union worker: Wow! Those benefits are great!
Union hack: Just sign on the dotted line and you can have them too.
Newly unionized worker: Okay, give me a pen!

The unions recruit more members = more union dues collected = more political activism supporting the Democratic party = more Democrats elected = more power and benefits for the unions.
See, everybody is happy...if you're a Democrat politician or a union hack, that is.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
yes, but I heard someone make a very good and what I think is valid point the other day. When all the provisions of Obamacare go into affect and the majority of the population is stuck with sub par insurance coverage, the unions will have one heck of a bargaining tool to recruit more members. It goes something like this...

Union hack: So, you don't like your health benefits?
Non-union worker: No, they stink.
Union hack: Well, let me show you what you can get if you join the union.
Non-union worker: Wow! Those benefits are great!
Union hack: Just sign on the dotted line and you can have them too.
Newly unionized worker: Okay, give me a pen!

The unions recruit more members = more union dues collected = more political activism supporting the Democratic party = more Democrats elected = more power and benefits for the unions.
See, everybody is happy...if you're a Democrat politician or a union hack, that is.
Just be sure that the medical plan is supplied by the union and not the employer... In many private sector jobs the health insurance is supplied by the employer not the union  and the exemption does not apply... It seems that this exemption was aimed at the larger bargaining units...Supplying health care to its membership means big money to Unions....They would never have went along with the shvartza President's health care program if it meant loosing out on all the dollars they skim off of supplying health care to the membership.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years