Author Topic: Glorifying/spoofing the eating of chametz on Pesach  (Read 866 times)

Offline wonga66

• Master JTFer
Glorifying/spoofing the eating of chametz on Pesach
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
These fellows make a song spoofing/glorifying the eating of chametz on Pesach!

Are they real Jews?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Glorifying/spoofing the eating of chametz on Pesach
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
I can accept a spoof that wishes to east chametz, but won't.  But this one bothers me because it seems to glorify breaking pesach early.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Glorifying/spoofing the eating of chametz on Pesach
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
Chametz is symbolic of the Yetzer Hara. It is also related to arrogance, ego, and an inflated sense of self-worth...

I would say that judging from the looks of this group they are full of themselves, full of chametz, and they are acting like HaSatan in trying to tempt religious Jews into violating the commandments.

It is very difficult for a Baal Teshuva to keep Chametz free for the entire week of Pesach. This year I did pretty well although I did stumble on some issues of Kitniyot. I am still learning...

I still have not eaten any bread products, and I will not do so till tomorrow night. I realize I am using the computer early but I have to work today and am not able to completely keep the Chag.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1781/jewish/Arrogant-Bread.htm
The characteristic of leavened dough (Chametz) is that it rises and swells, symbolizing pride and boastfulness. A Matzah, on the other hand, is thin and flat, suggesting meekness and humility. Passover teaches us that Chametz – arrogance – is the very antithesis of the ideal of Torah.

When an arrogant man is confronted with the obligation of performing a Mitzvah that demands a measure of self-sacrifice (for example, charity, which involves sharing his possessions with his less fortunate fellow) he avoids fulfilling his obligation. He reasons: “I am wealthy because I deserve it. In fact I am entitled to more than I presently possess, so why should I give some of it away?”

Moreover, the egotism of the arrogant person deprives him of the ability to discern the worthiness of his neighbor and he smugly concludes that the other is truly far below his level.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/199,450/What-is-the-kabbalistic-view-on-chametz.html

Well, the difference between Chametz and Matzah is that chametz is bloated, which signifies arrogance, while the matzah is flat, signifying humility. So chametz gets a pretty bad rap.

The Zohar makes a pretty radical statement in saying that eating chametz on Passover is like bowing to idols, probably because arrogance is self-worship, a form of idolatry. The great kabbalist Arizal said that he who abstains from even a tiny bit of chametz over Passover is ensured that he will not sin [unintentionally] throughout the year.

"...eating chametz on Passover is like bowing to idols, probably because arrogance is self-worship, a form of idolatry...."

The Arizal also wrote a pretty interesting prayer to recite during the ritual of burning the chametz: “May it be your will, G-d…that just as I am destroying chametz from my home and my domain so shall all “outside forces” and the spirit of impurity be removed from the earth and may you remove our evil inclination from within us and give us a heart of flesh to serve you in truth and may all darkness and wickedness be consumed in smoke…Amen. Get the picture?1

Also, it is not only a violation of the Torah for a Jew to eat chametz on Passover, it is a violation for a Jew to even own it on Pesach...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14