Author Topic: High school kid named Osama  (Read 30834 times)

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
Re: High school kid named Osama
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2007, 09:42:04 PM »
Have you ever hit another car or person, while driving?
Thankfully I haven't. I had a close one a few weeks ago but there was no contact.
There was no contact? Great. But it could have occurred, right?
You're right, but the difference between the accident and Chaim is that I didn't set out to hurt anyone. I went to pick my stepdaughter up from school and turned too widly out into the road. It was my fault. Chaim knew that there would be a possibility that someone could get hurt by his actions, and he did it anyway. The similarity though is that both Chaim and I owned up to what we'd done.

The difference is that Chaim was honest with himself and with others about chances of hurting someone, and you did not.

When you shop for a car, when you get your driver's licence, and finally when you drive irresponsibly, you choose not to accept the possibility of hurting someone or choose to rely on your insurance policy. That's it.

But the real difference is that you could rely on your insurance, but Chaim could not.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:45:33 PM by Zvulun ben Moshe »
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2007, 09:42:32 PM »
You know what? I would recommend this kid's parents to change his name to Chaim.

I put money that he will be respected beyond the skies, if other kids knew of Chaim ben Pesach.

But if you feel differently, why won't you call your son Osama? Really... Just for experiment.
I don't have a son... Not sure how Osama would look on the 5 girls I have. So no dice. If I had a son, though I don't think I'd name him Osama though. There aren't any black men, that I know of, who would be able to pull that name off. I would name my son after my husband though. I have one daughter who has the female version of my husband's first name as her middle name.

On second thought... why don't I just name the next child "OATMEAL". I like oatmeal. :) There's nothing threatening about the name and its good for you. :) *Lame attempt at being funny...sorry, its late.* lol
Why not just use the names of the great old black child actors Buckwheat or even better Farina ;D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Imerica

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:02 AM »
You know what? I would recommend this kid's parents to change his name to Chaim.

I put money that he will be respected beyond the skies, if other kids knew of Chaim ben Pesach.

But if you feel differently, why won't you call your son Osama? Really... Just for experiment.
I don't have a son... Not sure how Osama would look on the 5 girls I have. So no dice. If I had a son, though I don't think I'd name him Osama though. There aren't any black men, that I know of, who would be able to pull that name off. I would name my son after my husband though. I have one daughter who has the female version of my husband's first name as her middle name.

On second thought... why don't I just name the next child "OATMEAL". I like oatmeal. :) There's nothing threatening about the name and its good for you. :) *Lame attempt at being funny...sorry, its late.* lol
Why not just use the names of the great old black child actors Buckwheat or even better Farina ;D
Okaaay.

Imerica

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
Thankfully I haven't. I had a close one a few weeks ago but there was no contact.
You're right, but the difference between the accident and Chaim is that I didn't set out to hurt anyone. I went to pick my stepdaughter up from school and turned too widly out into the road. It was my fault. Chaim knew that there would be a possibility that someone could get hurt by his actions, and he did it anyway. The similarity though is that both Chaim and I owned up to what we'd done.

The difference is that Chaim was honest with himself and with others about chances of hurting someone, and you did not.

When you shop for a car, when you get your driver's licence, and finally when you drive irresponsibly, you choose not to accept the possibility of hurting someone or choose to rely on your insurance policy. That's it.

But the real difference is that you could rely on your insurance, but Chaim could not.
What are you saying, that I denied ever doing anything wrong. That's totally untrue... there are posts where i said I apologized because I didn't see him. I owned up to it. And a bomb is nothing like a car, only that in careless hands they both can hurt people. The thing is that you dont' need a bomb to take you from point A to point B. After the bomb is dropped, its gone from point A to ground zero...(No reference to WTC... ground zero would be any target).

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »

What are you saying, that I denied ever doing anything wrong. That's totally untrue... there are posts where i said I apologized because I didn't see him. I owned up to it. And a bomb is nothing like a car, only that in careless hands they both can hurt people. The thing is that you dont' need a bomb to take you from point A to point B. After the bomb is dropped, its gone from point A to ground zero...(No reference to WTC... ground zero would be any target).

I wanted you to feel the difference. Neither you nor Chaim intended to hurt anyone and have not. That's why the names Erica and Chaim will still be popular, unless Erica does something really bad.

Osama, on the other leg, intended and did kill thousands of innocent Americans, and this name, unfortunately for all of us, will be associated with evil.

That kid was innocent, but the first party that his parents have to sue is not the US Government, but Osama bin Laden's family and the Saudi Royal Family.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:06:39 AM by Zvulun ben Moshe »

Imerica

« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:01 AM »

I wanted you to feel the difference. Neither you nor Chaim intended to hurt anyone and have not. That's why the names Erica and Chaim will still be popular, unless Erica does something really bad.

Osama, on the other leg, intended and did kill thousands of innocent Americans, and this name, unfortunately for all of us, will be associated with evil.

That kid was innocent, but the first party that his parents have to sue is not the US Government, but Osama bin Laden's family and the Saudi Royal Family.
I see what you're saying, but I have to say that driving a car won't land you in jail... carrying a bomb will though. But I'll concede with the fact that in the wrong hands, both are extremely dangerous. Drunk driver, visually impaired driver... Man on a mission to scare some people.

ETA: Osama will be dealt with if he isn't already dead. And the family should just live with the name they gave their child. They should teach him how to make that name synonomous with peace, intelligence, tolerance, and creativity. Forget suing anyone. The federal govt isn't to blame for what they named his son. It was their choice to change his name and their decision to strip the boy of his identity (non-relative to Osama Bin Laden).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:18:04 AM by Imerica »

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2007, 01:22:21 AM »
Erica, thank you for this long, but very productive debate.

Imerica

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2007, 01:23:39 AM »
Erica, thank you for this long, but very productive debate.
I don't know how productive its been but thank you also.

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2007, 01:26:41 AM »

I see what you're saying, but I have to say that driving a car won't land you in jail... carrying a bomb will though. But I'll concede with the fact that in the wrong hands, both are extremely dangerous. Drunk driver, visually impaired driver... Man on a mission to scare some people.

ETA: Osama will be dealt with if he isn't already dead. And the family should just live with the name they gave their child. They should teach him how to make that name synonomous with peace, intelligence, tolerance, and creativity. Forget suing anyone. The federal govt isn't to blame for what they named his son. It was their choice to change his name and their decision to strip the boy of his identity (non-relative to Osama Bin Laden).

When you look at your first and last post here, you will understand how productive it was.

Imerica

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2007, 03:19:08 PM »

When you look at your first and last post here, you will understand how productive it was.
:) Thanks again.