Author Topic: Is this ethno centric Sephardic only dating  (Read 39371 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Is this ethno centric Sephardic only dating
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »
My uncle calls Ashekenazim "Ashekenaziftim". He thinks it's stupid to go to Ashkenazic synagogues. He's ethnocentric. He calls salad at Sbarro at the mall "Ashkenazic salad" because it's not the small pieces of salad like Israeli salad. He doesn't understand that it's Ashkenazic or Sfardic, but rather Italian.

My grandmother only make Iraqi food. For holidays she makes the same food as everyday. At my house in The United States, we have special food for holidays such as brisket or turkey. I made that for myself when I was at my grandmother's house for holidays. She said "What are we, Ashkenazim". I said that my mother is Ashkenazic and that she doesn't make Ashkenazic food all the time. I usually only eat Ashkenazic food for holidays such as chicken soup and gefilte fish. For the rest of the year, I eat food of whatever ethnicity. My grandmother says she's not a restaurant. My uncle said gefilte fish is not Kosher For Passover but rather "Kosher For Purim".

I eat both Askanazi and sefardic,i wonder what he considers Sefardic?is Italian o.k. ,greek, turkish,Albanian ,Yugoslavian,portugesse.Or does he mean Yemenite or Iraqi,Egyptian,or Syrian.I bet he's Syrian. How about Libyan ,morrocan or Tunisian Jews
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:09:41 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
He's Iraqi.

Some foods aren't Jewish foods, so they aren't Ashkenazic or Sfardic.

I know i don'nt think any food is stricktly Jewish
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 06:13:06 PM »
I actually enjoy(ed) having a taste of Chulant on Shabb-t, but besides that askenazi food is never spicy like Sefardi food (the way I like it).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »
Gen tzo extra spicy kosher chinesse ;D

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
Why did Jews start getting classified as Sephardic or Ashkenazic and why do some people still use these classifications?  I think it had to do with differences in culture among people living in different regions of Europe.  But why did want some kind of a difference in culture? 

Does this thread belong in the dating section?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
My uncle calls Ashekenazim "Ashekenaziftim". He thinks it's stupid to go to Ashkenazic synagogues. He's ethnocentric. He calls salad at Sbarro at the mall "Ashkenazic salad" because it's not the small pieces of salad like Israeli salad. He doesn't understand that it's Ashkenazic or Sfardic, but rather Italian.

My grandmother only make Iraqi food. For holidays she makes the same food as everyday. At my house in The United States, we have special food for holidays such as brisket or turkey. I made that for myself when I was at my grandmother's house for holidays. She said "What are we, Ashkenazim". I said that my mother is Ashkenazic and that she doesn't make Ashkenazic food all the time. I usually only eat Ashkenazic food for holidays such as chicken soup and gefilte fish. For the rest of the year, I eat food of whatever ethnicity. My grandmother says she's not a restaurant. My uncle said gefilte fish is not Kosher For Passover but rather "Kosher For Purim".

Why is it called Israeli salad?  When I've got this from Kosher places, it wasn't much different from other salads. 

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
I actually like that their is some seperation, most of you wouldnt understand but for us it doesnt seem right that Sefardim are allways under the control of Askenazim, the Yeshiva system is just one example where we have Sefardim learning by Askenazim and never vica versa.

What does it matter, as long as we're all Jews?  Ashkenazim are not in control of anything and Sfaradim aren't under any control, it's just all Jews together with one another.
Ehud, in Israel, the Ashkenazim control 90% of the govermant, yeshivas, high-tech compenys ect', some of tham thinks that the sfaradim are inferior to tham .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

newman

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
I actually like that their is some seperation, most of you wouldnt understand but for us it doesnt seem right that Sefardim are allways under the control of Askenazim, the Yeshiva system is just one example where we have Sefardim learning by Askenazim and never vica versa.

What does it matter, as long as we're all Jews?  Ashkenazim are not in control of anything and Sfaradim aren't under any control, it's just all Jews together with one another.
Ehud, in Israel, the Ashkenazim control 90% of the govermant, yeshivas, high-tech compenys ect', some of tham thinks that the sfaradim are inferior to tham .

That's why they are sitting on their tuchis while the mostly Sephardic town of Sterod is being blasted by muslim rockets. The Askenazi elite couldn't care less.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
I was wondering, was Meir Kahane Ashkenazi or Sephardic?  I tried looking it up but found nothing.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »
Sephardim are still looked down upon by many ashkenazim in Israel and the government is still anti-sepharadic to an extent, perhaps it is because many hold right wing, anti-arab views (justifiably), but most likely the "Shwortzechai" mentality still exists amongst some Ashkenazim.
There was a Yediot Ahronot piece a few weeks ago that found that Moroccons for example are still overlooked for jobs in favour of ashkenazim with lesser qualifications (it must also be said that Russians, Ethiopians and Charedim were also overlooked).
Does anyone really believe that the Israeli government would allow arab rockets to fly in everyday on North Tel Aviv or Ramat Hasharon? They don't care about Sderot, a mostly Sepharadic town.
This Sepharadic Dating site is a great idea!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 04:28:15 AM »
Sephardim are still looked down upon by many ashkenazim in Israel and the government is still anti-sepharadic to an extent, perhaps it is because many hold right wing, anti-arab views (justifiably), but most likely the "Shwortzechai" mentality still exists amongst some Ashkenazim.
There was a Yediot Ahronot piece a few weeks ago that found that Moroccons for example are still overlooked for jobs in favour of ashkenazim with lesser qualifications (it must also be said that Russians, Ethiopians and Charedim were also overlooked).
Does anyone really believe that the Israeli government would allow arab rockets to fly in everyday on North Tel Aviv or Ramat Hasharon? They don't care about Sderot, a mostly Sepharadic town.
This Sepharadic Dating site is a great idea!

What does "Shwortzechai" mean?

newman

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 04:55:25 AM »

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 06:05:50 AM »
I was wondering, was Meir Kahane Ashkenazi or Sephardic?  I tried looking it up but found nothing.
Half sefardic half ashkenazi .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
The yiddish curse word for blacks is "Shvartza Chalereh", shvartza by itself is benign and just means black.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »
If you're a Sephardic and only attracted to middle-eastern looking people then I suppose it's ok, but still... What is a good idea is for people to keep their cultural identity though :).

I guess I'm the ironic twist that doesn't fit the stereotype because I'm Sephardic and as un-middle-eastern looking as you can get. Go figure.  :)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »
Why did Jews start getting classified as Sephardic or Ashkenazic and why do some people still use these classifications?  I think it had to do with differences in culture among people living in different regions of Europe.  But why did want some kind of a difference in culture? 

Does this thread belong in the dating section?

Because there are some physical and cultural differences between the sephardic and ashkenazi.

although i'm a mix since my mothers German (ethnic) but my dads North African and Romanian (there was a large sephardic population there), I think I identify more as Sephardic. None of our family really ate "Ashkenazi" cuisine, I think couscous was more common at our dinner table.

Anyways, there are less Sephardic than Ashkenazi so I can understand why they want to stick together.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
If your part Sefardi then your Sefardi becuase the Sefardic genes are the more dominant ones. (just kidding).

Lisa- stay with your own kind, I mean it. going for people with other cultures is difficult and hard to ajust, remember its not only you marrying your husband, your family also has to get along with him. Why would you want an Askenazi guy when their are many Persian Jewish men availabe.  I personally would only go for a Bukharian Jewish girl, or a culturally Sefardic girl, and mayyyybe an askenazi girl if she is extremly attractive and overall a success (as if that type would go for me, but you never know)

We Jews are one people..  I hate when we enforce cultural divides, as if the Jewish heart can be divided.  Sorry Ben Roshel, I want to agree with you, but cannot here.  On another note, I am Ashkenazi, but find I am more culturally Persian/Sefardi./Mizrachi.  I attend a Sefardic synagogue with an Ashkenazi rabbi.  I don't want to marry an Ashkenazi woman, but would if I actually met one I liked.  Maybe, its the fact I grew up with a very meshugah and dominating secular Ashkenazi mother and grandmother is why I fear to marry one.   
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.