Author Topic: America's Debt Crisis  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: America's Debt Crisis
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »

Most of the time, it makes sense to just buy on strong fundamentals and hold; and assuming these fundamentals dont change, it makes sense to actually buy more when the stocks go down or at least, dollar cost average your investment over time.

However, this all becomes tricky, when there is a slow-motion train wreck on the horizon.  The impending catastrophe WILL affect everything, and there will be almost no where to hide.  Many investors know this, but they are just trying to milk any sort of return they can find, which is why large dividend stocks are quite popular now.  Its also why Gold is so absurdly high.

Very good points.

The only caveat I'd add to the first paragraph is that sometimes a little technical analysis can go a long way beside fundamentals because sometimes a company is fantastic, but it's stock is not ,for whatever reason (irrational wall street and their love affairs with certain companies, fickle behavior, etc).   So fundamentals tell a lot but not the whole story, there are broken stocks out there of great companies.  And there are nice companies whose stocks are absurdly popular (chipotle mexican grill, green mountain coffee such and such, certain growth stocks)

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 04:16:29 AM »
Btw there has been a selloff in recent days just as I predicted but if they don't get a deal done WOW WILL it be a real bloodbath I wonder how low into the 11,000's we'll get just in the first few days.  But actually if they get a deal done it seems likely the market will head upwards despite negative growth data recently published.  Let's see what happens.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »
Now the house has approved the phony debt deal and I think senate votes tomorrow at noon (probably can be assumed they pass it before any vote).   I haven't done a detailed tech analysis but the market is probably due for some rebound and it just so happens to coincide with this.  Well, let's see what happens.

Offline England4Ever

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 01:01:32 AM »
It sadends me that America is being destroyed my affirmative action monkeys!
It looks in the next 100 years, there will be a planet of the apes!  :'(

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Your mama is affirmative action monkey. Planet of apes is where you belong  >:(
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
debt limit increased, nothing will change.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
I was updating LIBOR rates today and they are up.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
I was updating LIBOR rates today and they are up.

I'm sure the Fed will put a stop to that when they decide to do another round of 'Quantitative Easing'

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
I'm sure the Fed will put a stop to that when they decide to do another round of 'Quantitative Easing'

Lol can't wait for that one.  Like PED's for the stock market.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »

Yup zero affect on market.  Tomorrow and rest of week we will find out if it will fall through key levels of support or if perhaps today's action was some selling exhaustion and we will see a rebound within trading range.    Really hope it won't fall thru because... well, look out below.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
Yup zero affect on market.  Tomorrow and rest of week we will find out if it will fall through key levels of support or if perhaps today's action was some selling exhaustion and we will see a rebound within trading range.    Really hope it won't fall thru because... well, look out below.

I will tell you that if and when terrible information comes, thats when the techies often loose their shirt.  I am sure that there have been plenty of traders looking at their charts for the last few days, and made a lot of bad short term decisions based upon their charting.

Fundamentally bad information isnt something that markets bounce back from....  thats not to say there WONT be a bounce, but it may be a dead cat bounce.   and ultimately... all this bad information will make its way into every sector.

The recent rally has been a bit of a mirage, kinda like the 'recovery'.  There never was a recovery, there was only a collapse, followed by a bunch of non-sense Keynesian window dressing to make it seem like our economy was expanding, and now that is fading away, and we are going back into the abyss... in worse shape than before.  Hopefully, when we hit bottom, our government will tighten its belt and the Fed will give up on printing money, but I kinda doubt it....   we may be in for stagnation that continues for years... followed by credit downgrading... followed by turmoil... followed by painful austerity measures.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
I will tell you that if and when terrible information comes, thats when the techies often loose their shirt.  I am sure that there have been plenty of traders looking at their charts for the last few days, and made a lot of bad short term decisions based upon their charting.  

I don't see why.   The indexes have just now reached key support levels.  If one has the guts to buy and also thinks its not about to fall thru support and enter a bear market, now would be the time to buy, not the past few days.  Most of the "news" is just noise and its used to explain what the market does, not really the other way around.

Fundamentally bad information isnt something that markets bounce back from....  thats not to say there WONT be a bounce, but it may be a dead cat bounce.   and ultimately... all this bad information will make its way into every sector.

"Fundamentally bad" is a relative term.  The data shows a lack of growth which should be there to really call it a recovery.   The growth is not zero but very low.  Nonetheless, corporate earnings are mostly quite good and stock prices ultimately reflect the earnings and growth of the company.  So this counterbalances all the doom and gloom about how much money people are spending.  Honestly for me, I don't get it.  People are supposed to save money and not just spend it all.  It should be a sign of a healthy economy.  Nonetheless people still spend money on certain things and those companies turn profits.  The importabce of some of the data is overblown imo.

About a dead cat bounce was it also one in march and in late june?  How many dead cat bounces will there be then?  Look I can see that a head and shoulders reversal MAY have formed but it hasn't happened until it falls through.  Perhaps we merely entered a trading range rather than a full blown bear market.  I reserve judgement at this point but I don't really get all the doom and gloom.

The recent rally has been a bit of a mirage, kinda like the 'recovery'.

What makes it a mirage?  You really think the appropriate response to subprime collapse was the dow losing 600 points?  There are companies who never stopped profiting in the billions during that period but saw stock price drop 50% or more. To me the giant collapse was more of a mirage than the recovery of the markets.  Its not like we even reached the highs of the pre2008 period!

Its time americans look around and use common sense.  Things will have to change we cannot live the way we once did.  There will be some painfull changes too and we will not have a ponzi scheme debt expansion going forever til the govt bankrupts itself.  People will need advanced degrees more than ever to find work, many will not find appropriate jobs etc.  But all of these unfortunate realities do not mean that las vegas sands should be a 1 dollar per share stock! (As 1 example)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:07:43 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
The global market is very sick... A great deal of this money is built on rotting foundations... A good shakeup in the system could bring down the entire house of cards... Even the so called money lender nations will find themselves holding the bag should the worse happen... This stock market will be jumping around for some time to come... People who think a recovery is around the corner will see that the bottom of the market is a great way off and whats worse is still sinking... The system is juggling right now to keep investor confidence up however soon this juggling game is going to start showing it's true colors... At that point the actual real money that sustaining the system will be pulled out leaving the vast majority of investors wondering just what happened... The sad fact is that the financial world just doesn't want to face the fact that the day of reckoning is not very far off... As far as being highly educated goes it may help to some extent however people in India and China can be just as educated and they work for a lot less money... Unless America starts getting things at home in order the wolves at the door will soon be inside calling all the shots... To some extent they are doing this already.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »

No real cuts were made and the rate of spending will continue to increase.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
The "haves" are the ones propping up the stock market with all their moolah, and the movement of this wealth is what moves the markets.  Guys like u and me are just along for the ride, no question about that.   But why should all the investors remove their money from stocks?  Where are they gonna put it that is any better for them?

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »

::)

If our politicians weren't a bunch of crooks and thieves they would have cut spending across the board for all of these wasteful social programs for the "minorities" such as welfare, food stamps, Section 8 Housing and Medicaid. Instead our economy is nothing more than a sophisticated wealth redistribution scheme.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »
::)

If our politicians weren't a bunch of crooks and thieves they would have cut spending across the board for all of these wasteful social programs for the "minorities" such as welfare, food stamps, Section 8 Housing and Medicaid. Instead our economy is nothing more than a sophisticated wealth redistribution scheme.
How else would the filthy animals buy support... With nearly 40% of the population paying little or no taxes it is almost impossible to get meaningful support for any spending reduction... A politician was speaking on TV the other day and he said that the only way to set things right is to have everyone pay even a little tax... People with no skin in the game could not care less how much money government fritters away... If this situation is not brought under control the 40% will soon be higher and at that point America will be just another 3 world banana republic.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
The "haves" are the ones propping up the stock market with all their moolah, and the movement of this wealth is what moves the markets.  Guys like u and me are just along for the ride, no question about that.   But why should all the investors remove their money from stocks?  Where are they gonna put it that is any better for them?
Yes, this is very true... The big money people are the ones holding the cards... In normal times the money people were happy enough to share a piece of the action with the little guy to keep things moving... Whats changed the picture is government cutting into the profit margin... Big money will always find a safe haven for their wealth... Gold , commodities, minerals... Things the little guy would have a hard time investing in... As for the reason lets just say the existing business model no longer functions as it should.   

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
I don't see why.   The indexes have just now reached key support levels.  If one has the guts to buy and also thinks its not about to fall thru support and enter a bear market, now would be the time to buy, not the past few days.  Most of the "news" is just noise and its used to explain what the market does, not really the other way around.

Not really.  What often happens is, when there is no fundamental data or institutional trading, most trades are from the technicians... its the techies who create the majority of the noise.

The reason I don't like Tech analysis, is that tech traders have a TERRIBLE track record.  Techies that are 'brilliant' one year, can't beat a dart board the next year.   A lot of the so-called evidence for technical analysis is data-snooping bias or selectively marketing certain tech funds and ignoring all their funds that do poorly.

HOWEVER,  I do think that certain forms of short term analysis can work, and this involves being able to identify irrational human behavior influences on stock prices vs. legitamate influences on stocks.  This is when you look at the impact of emotions, cognitive errors, irrational preferences, but this is VERY hard to do.

"Fundamentally bad" is a relative term.  The data shows a lack of growth which should be there to really call it a recovery.   The growth is not zero but very low.

Nonetheless, corporate earnings are mostly quite good and stock prices ultimately reflect the earnings and growth of the company.  So this counterbalances all the doom and gloom about how much money people are spending.  Honestly for me, I don't get it.  People are supposed to save money and not just spend it all.  It should be a sign of a healthy economy.  Nonetheless people still spend money on certain things and those companies turn profits.  The importabce of some of the data is overblown imo.

If you beleive that the recent data is NOT bad and is being overblown, you are STILL making an analysis based on fundamentals, not technicals.  You are saying, the data is mediocre, but it WONT significantly bring down a company's earnings because of X,Y, and Z.  Hence, if traders suddenly sell because they are missreading the data, they are being irrational so you will buy.  That is NOT technical analysis, that is you analyzing fundamentals to a different conclusion than the market.

HOWEVER, if you saw data that you DID beleive pointed to a double dip, and then you saw traders selling off,  you would NOT buy, because you would beleive that the data would ultimately affect prices, and the sellers are generally being rational.

Even though I don't agree with your assesment, your methodolgy is sound.
About a dead cat bounce was it also one in march and in late june?  How many dead cat bounces will there be then?  Look I can see that a head and shoulders reversal MAY have formed but it hasn't happened until it falls through.  Perhaps we merely entered a trading range rather than a full blown bear market.  I reserve judgement at this point but I don't really get all the doom and gloom.

I am NOT  a technical analyst, which is why I said there MAY be a dead cat bounce,  prices may stabalize, or prices may fall off a cliff, I just don't know what the short term will bring, and never will try to predict short term trends.  But what I said is that IF there IS an upward movement in the short term, it will likely be from the technicians looking at their charts, and saying, hey, the price has past a support level, so now we should buy... and since I beleive there will continue to be bad news, this spike will ultimately (I dont know when) be corrected.

A dead cat bouncing is a rare occurance, simply because downward trends are rare because economic contractions are rare.  The economy expands far more often than it contracts.... and events like the great depression or great recession are very rare, once in a lifetime events.

That being said, things are VERY different now than they were a few months ago. (Will go into that in next response)

What makes it a mirage?  You really think the appropriate response to subprime collapse was the dow losing 600 points?  There are companies who never stopped profiting in the billions during that period but saw stock price drop 50% or more. To me the giant collapse was more of a mirage than the recovery of the markets.  Its not like we even reached the highs of the pre2008 period!

I assume you meant 6000 points,   Anyhoo,  I really dissagree with what you said here.

The subprime collapse was FAR more significant than any other crisis in our lives.  I can't say for sure what the appropriate level of the Dow should be at this point in time, but I will explain why it skyrocketed back up to 13,000 and the last couple years has been a mirage.

The economy has been greatly distorted to appear as though we were entering a recovery stage in 2010 so nearly everyone bought into this, especially since they could say, well, its following the patterns of previous recoveries, just a bit slower.

Huge amounts of government spending were used to increase demand, and although it was innefficient, it still affected overal demand, and since companies had already lowered their payroll costs so dramatically, these sudden increases in demand looked great to their bottom line... and like magic.... companies looked profitable again.. and the stock market skyrocketed.  Also, the historic printing of money greatly affected prices, especially since it has pulled down the dollar to new lows compared to currencies like the Franc (Now being used as a benchmark).

More significantly, our government made the real estate market look like it had recovered with their tax incentives.   This was the biggest trick up their sleeve, since most economists acknowledge that a recovery is impossible withoout first having stabillity in the market that caused the bubble in the first place.   And in 2010, most economists said it all worked, and we were in the middle of a slow but steady recovery. Even more amazing... most economists said the real estate collapse was over.... (I am still amazed by this)

However, ask them again now,  and they will give you a different answer. Some have even suggested we are already in a double dip.  All these programs/incentives/stimulants are dissapearing, and we are finding out that you can't fool the economy and things are simply returning to where they should be... even worse in some instances.  This is why it is a mirage and this is why the recent price drops ARE warrented, they are not just noise.  And this is also why the news will continue to be unexpectedly 'dissapointing' like they have been over the last few months.

Its not JUST about the fact that the government sugar high is over.  The most important factor is that the Real estate bubble hasnt finished bursting.  Even though its way down to 2002 levels, it will probably continue to dive below 2000 levels.  Remember, even in 2000, Real Estate values were overpriced. Real Estate prices in the United States from 1995 to 2007 soared WAY beyond inflation.  Before 95, prices had largely followed inflation.  The bubble was HUGE, about 50 times larger than the dot com bubble, and used far more debt, and affected most of the west, not just the U.S.   The only thing close for comparison is the Japanese real estate boom, which was still not as large but prices still havent recovered 15 years after the fall.

And none of this is taking into account when we have a credit rating reduction.  This will be devastating.... honestly, beyond comprehension.  It won't be for a while, but mark my words, tax revenue will continue to be below expectations, and when the GOP attempts to cut spending in 2012, especially entitelments, it will cause absolute pandamonium from the public, and the 'cuts' won't end up being cuts afterall.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »
Btw I did mean 6000 points not 600 but u probably knew what I meant

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »
Briann on the point you raised that I am using the fundamental data.   To some extent you are right but not totally correct because I was mainly stating that as my personal opinion not as a reason for trading.  But you are right in the sense that my belief there would impact my decisions to some extent.    But I would favor an approach that combines TA with fundamentals.  Some companies are just junky and I would agree that no matter what kind of trend its in, it would not be wise to play around with its stock.    Imo the tech analysis is not something that's going to be a magic formula that can make you millions no matter what, its something that can help a person plan their entry and exit points and it can help limit losses or improve gains if used properly.   In some instances it won't work, but in a lot of cases, probably most cases, it can help u avoid turning a small loss to a bigger loss or help u keep a stock a bit longer for better profits.   It works actually on the premise you mentioned about sentiment and emotions.  These chart patterns are a way of surveying those things even if they seem unrelated, they're not.  And when they do work, they work because of the herd mentality.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
Good (and interesting) points about the mirage as you see it.

Personally I don't think the ratings agencies would dare downgrade us because they will experience backlash from the govt who will try to grind them hard and use their 2008 behavior as justification for new regulations that will hurt these agencies.   As corrupt as that is that they will basically do what the govt wants to cover their own hides, I think that is what will happen.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:01 AM »
Good (and interesting) points about the mirage as you see it.

Personally I don't think the ratings agencies would dare downgrade us because they will experience backlash from the govt who will try to grind them hard and use their 2008 behavior as justification for new regulations that will hurt these agencies.   As corrupt as that is that they will basically do what the govt wants to cover their own hides, I think that is what will happen.

I know that there is a conflict of interest, and we will see alot of warning and postponing, but eventually, they will just not have any choice. We are already past 100% debt to GDP in a league with highly indebted countries like Italy and Belgium., and they theoretically can already downgrade us.  I hope I'm wrong but I have zero faith in our politicians.

As far as technical Analysis, its so subjective.  For example there are a some technical indicators saying we are on the verge of a massive selloff.

Here is an example, of an article today.  I don't really beleive in this, but here it is anyway.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44005971

The S&P 500 triggered a scary technical signal — a head and shoulders pattern in the chart — leaving investors to wonder if it's the sign of more selling to come — or just a head fake.

The so-called head and shoulders pattern is formed when the chart pattern shows three rallies, with the middle rally peaking higher than the first and second, thus creating a head. If the market breaks the "neckline," that is a trend reversal signal and can mean more selling ahead.

"What we're having is a classical technical breakdown. When the S&P broke down through the 1248 to 1250 region, it violated the neckline on a head and shoulders formation, " said Art Cashin, director of floor trading at UBS [UBS  15.76    0.05  (+0.32%)   ].

"If it's a valid head and shoulders then you begin a countdown to where it occurred. I think it counts down to 1120," Cashin said. The market feels oversold and ready for a bounce, but the fact that the S&P is now negative for the year could weigh on sentiment, he added.

"You watch the rebounds. They should be restrained by the neckline at 1248 to 1252. A rally can only be a success if it punches above that," he said.

The pattern doesn't always trigger a break through the neckline and a selloff.

"There have been a few head fakes with this pattern since we came off the 2008 lows," said Scott Redler of T3Live.com. He said the S&P started forming the pattern several times, but it was never triggered. "That's why nobody trusts this pattern, but it feels different this time."

In the chart below, the market first rallied, forming the top of the left shoulder in late February. It then rallied to a higher level, forming a head in May. It then dipped down to a neckline before rallying to form a right shoulder in July. Typically, the neckline is formed at an area of prior support. That would be the 1249 to 1280 zone, according to Redler.

"Today's move down through 1249 was the bottom end of the neckline which traders have been watching," said Redler. "What a head and shoulders tries to do is it tries to measure the potential move of a correction and the way you do that is from the top of the head to the neckline. The high was 1370. The neckline would be an average of 1270. That gives you a measured move for technicians to pick an area to buy. That takes you down to a zone of 1150 to 1180," he said.

"That correlates to a pretty big support level from last year. That will be the level traders are watching," he said.

Redler said another reason he was expecting this formation to be triggered was by the action in the industrial sector ETF, Industrial Select Sector SPDR Fund and the SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF. Both showed head and shoulder patterns.

Redler, who watches the market's short-term technicals, recommended raising macro cash in longer-term positions last Thursday when he saw the right shoulder start to get fully developed. It was also when the SPY, the ETF representing the S&P, broke its 50-day moving average at 1310.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »
Its true there was a head and shoulders pattern.  I mentioned it in one of my posts.  But the guy who wrote the article didn't wait for a confirmation of the pattern which can be a big mistake.  It has to actually fall through the support and also close below it.  Well it did that today.    So I believe we have now entered a bear market phase.   Either way, next stop dow 11,000.   I imagine there will be some upticks along the way but that is where we're headed.

Btw, I don't get what you mean by saying its "so subjective" but the patterns are patterns because they have happened before and a different result would actually be a big surprise but usually herd mentality wins out.  Add to that the fact that so many TA traders are active these days and it also adds a bit of self fulfilling prophecy to the mix.    Look out below.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Its true there was a head and shoulders pattern.  I mentioned it in one of my posts.  But the guy who wrote the article didn't wait for a confirmation of the pattern which can be a big mistake.  It has to actually fall through the support and also close below it.  Well it did that today.    So I believe we have now entered a bear market phase.   Either way, next stop dow 11,000.   I imagine there will be some upticks along the way but that is where we're headed.

Btw, I don't get what you mean by saying its "so subjective" but the patterns are patterns because they have happened before and a different result would actually be a big surprise but usually herd mentality wins out.  Add to that the fact that so many TA traders are active these days and it also adds a bit of self fulfilling prophecy to the mix.    Look out below.

Subjective meaning 2 different technicians look at the same chart and come up with 2 completely different conclusions to where the price will go.  I saw TONS of this in the last few days.  There are lots of times when technical theories conflict with one another and give opposite suggestions.