Author Topic: Anyone else try Firefox 4.0?  (Read 945 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Anyone else try Firefox 4.0?
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Yesterday I downloaded the latest browser released from Firefox, Firefox 4.0. I have been using Firefox as a browser for both my Linux and my Windows machines for several years. I seldom have a need to use Internet Explorer though at work I do some development in Windows 7 and Windows XP and must use IE for some tasks {for example when you run Windows Update you must run IE}.

I have not tried IE9 which is Microsofts latest release of the Internet Explorer browser. But so far I am very satisfied with the Firefox 4.0 release. The user interface is a bit less cluttered and it is aesthetically good looking. Firefox 4.0 supports themes but I have not tried them yet...

Today I read that Firefox users downloaded the latest Firefox over 9M times in the last day. Meanwhile Microsoft boasts only 2M downloads for IE9.... It looks like Firefox is the preferred browser today...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382459,00.asp

Mozilla's latest browser release, Firefox 4, has snagged about 7 million downloads in its first 24 hours, surpassing the 2.35 million obtained by Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9.

Firefox 4 made its debut on Tuesday and quickly zoomed to 1 million downloads. By day's end, the live counter on the Firefox 4 Download Stats Web site logged about 3 million downloads, and it is now - by Wednesday morning- approaching 7 million.

Microsoft's IE9, which made its debut last month, reached 2.35 million downloads in its first 24 hours. However, at this point, its reach is limited. IE9 can only be downloaded on machines running Windows Vista and Windows 7 - not XP - in order to accomplish its hardware acceleration using those OSes' version of DirectX multimedia APIs. According to February data from Net Applications, about 55 percent of computer users worldwide still use Windows XP, followed by 23 percent on Windows 7 and 11 percent on Vista.

http://glow.mozilla.org/
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Re: Anyone else try Firefox 4.0?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
I haven't downloaded the latest version yet. Firefox is much faster than IE and with less freezes.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Firefox is far better for customization.  However, I honestly thing Google Chrome is the most reliable, and much less likley to hangup.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
I have been using it for months. Especially to access JTF forums. But I prefer Chrome most of the time.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
I have used firefox in the past. I will check out the new one. I am using chrome at the moment

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Earlier I have used firefox. Now I am happy with google chrome.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »
Again I will disagree. I tried Chrome and was not impressed. I found the UI lacking compared to Firefox...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
Again I will disagree. I tried Chrome and was not impressed. I found the UI lacking compared to Firefox...

Thats why I use both.  If I want smooth, hangup free browsing, I will use chrome.  But if I want more, I use firefox. Like running multiple profiles, using scripts, addons, customizing setting, etc.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
I have not switched over to the 4 yet but I will do so very soon... I have used Firefox since it's been out and find it to be great... Internet Explorer is a joke compared to even the early Mozilla Firefox... The few times I used Explorer I found it to be very annoying... I also distrust it since it seems to be a gateway for a lot of problems...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
Now that I have had a chance to really use Firefox 4 and Firefox 5, I declare:

I like:
* ver 5 gives me more space

I don't like:
* They de-geeked the interface
* they took away my status bar
* they truncate the url when you place your pointer over a link (leading url and ending url are shown and the middle is chopped off)

For all the geeky users out there: use seamonkey.
Also choose seamonkey for those who are nostalgic for the old netscape navigator.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
im currently using google chrome but i do like firefox.
IE is just horsedreck

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
I just upgraded my desktop linux home system to Firefox 5.0.. Sofar no complaints.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

Let me impose this on you:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
Let me impose this on you:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

I sometimes use seamonkey when I need to open a second browser on a second X Window system. On my work system I cannot run two instances of Firefox on different X servers... So I use seamonkey. But I don't like seamonkeys rendering compared to Firefox. Firefox 5.0 rendering is one of the best.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »
I sometimes use seamonkey when I need to open a second browser on a second X Window system. On my work system I cannot run two instances of Firefox on different X servers... So I use seamonkey. But I don't like seamonkeys rendering compared to Firefox. Firefox 5.0 rendering is one of the best.

Why cant you run 2 simultaneous instances of firefox?   What OS do you use at work?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »
Why cant you run 2 simultaneous instances of firefox?   What OS do you use at work?

I use Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with two LCD monitors.... I use the proprietary nVidia drivers which support two methods of dual-screen set-up. One is called TwinView which allows you to drag windows from one screen to another, this is useful for most operations though for one particular application that set-up is not acceptable. One of my software projects at work involves an application called 'Probe Version 2.0' which is used by our software developers to help debug our embedded system software... But when it is run in TwinView mode fullscreen then it splits the screen between the two monitors which is not the intended way it should run... So I always set up the nVidia dual-screen to run with two separate X servers, one on each monitor. You cannot drag windows from one monitor to the other, but you can run applications on either window. I usually run a Windows virtual machine or a remote connection to a Windows machine which I use for developing my applications on Windows. This set-up is acceptable for the way I develop software at work...

I should clarify that I certainly can open several instances of Firefox on one screen at a time... So as I said, I will use Seamonkey when I need to open a web-browser on the second monitor. I usually use this browser to maintain a database I keep of the development boards for our development group...

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »
I use Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with two LCD monitors.... I use the proprietary nVidia drivers which support two methods of dual-screen set-up. One is called TwinView which allows you to drag windows from one screen to another, this is useful for most operations though for one particular application that set-up is not acceptable. One of my software projects at work involves an application called 'Probe Version 2.0' which is used by our software developers to help debug our embedded system software... But when it is run in TwinView mode fullscreen then it splits the screen between the two monitors which is not the intended way it should run... So I always set up the nVidia dual-screen to run with two separate X servers, one on each monitor. You cannot drag windows from one monitor to the other, but you can run applications on either window. I usually run a Windows virtual machine or a remote connection to a Windows machine which I use for developing my applications on Windows. This set-up is acceptable for the way I develop software at work...

I should clarify that I certainly can open several instances of Firefox on one screen at a time... So as I said, I will use Seamonkey when I need to open a web-browser on the second monitor. I usually use this browser to maintain a database I keep of the development boards for our development group

Sorry, Im just confused why you need to use Seamonkey for the dbase.  I am just curious.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:00:15 AM »
Sorry, Im just confused why you need to use Seamonkey for the dbase.  I am just curious.

I am sorry if I didn't explain clearly. I am running 2 monitors on one computer. This is possible with most modern video cards which support VGA, DVI, and HDMI output. I have one monitor connected to VGA and one connected to DVI. The nVidia video card I use supports two modes of dual-monitor... One is called TwinView which as I said supports dragging windows across monitors, the other called dual X-Server which does not... When you use the dual X-servers you cannot run Firefox on both screens. That is the problem...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8400.html

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »
I am sorry if I didn't explain clearly. I am running 2 monitors on one computer. This is possible with most modern video cards which support VGA, DVI, and HDMI output. I have one monitor connected to VGA and one connected to DVI. The nVidia video card I use supports two modes of dual-monitor... One is called TwinView which as I said supports dragging windows across monitors, the other called dual X-Server which does not... When you use the dual X-servers you cannot run Firefox on both screens. That is the problem...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8400.html

Gotya, I understand.  I do like the idea of dragging between 2 screens.  Ironically, if I had the ability, I would want to use this feature with firefox,  as I often have multiple profiles running simultaneously on my computer.  Oh well.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »
I don't see why people still use explorer. It looks like crap and works even worse. Firefox is the best in my opinion.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 04:39:40 AM »
I use chrome and firefox. I have a habit of opening multiple tabs especially when I read news and firefox seems to be more capable to handle a great many tabs than chrome which sometimes chokes.

On the other hand I like chrome interface better, it is cleaner and takes less screen.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
5.0 but it freezes often
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03