Author Topic: Possible evidence Pot/marijuna is harmful to brain  (Read 6423 times)

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
Possible evidence Pot/marijuna is harmful to brain
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
To contribute to the fascinating discussions on the effects of pot. I will use again the example of my now banished and not mourned ex acquaintance Josh Zachariah.
  Josh was a very heavy pot user and smoked whenever he got the chance. He was always extolling its tremendous benefits and virtues. It was kind of his one man crusade and I usually tried to steer clear of the subject when talking because he could go on about it at length.
  Apparently it allowed him to see things clearly and was very good for his brain. The conversation that started the end of the relationship was when I broached the subject of muslims. Here's what his drug enhanced psyche had to say on that issue.

On being presented with my huge barrage of evidence that B.O body odour is a fifth columnist and muslim president of the U.S

JZ said:
Yeah but ya know. Hes a democrat, hes gonna try and blend in with other cultures.

Just because he dressed like a muslim and bowed before the saudi king doesn't mean hes a muslim.

!!!!!!!!!

On being presented with numerous videos which I thought were impossible to argue with and would convince any right thinking person.

JZ said:
Come on dude, whats the deal with Obama, you seem kinda obsessed with it LOL. Who's this chaim dude he seems a hard core rightwing nut. Who cares if hes a muslim. It doesn't matter, maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Maybe hes a secret hindu doesn't matter.

Yeah sure Josh, doesn't matter that the president LIED to the people of the U.S to get into office, an impeachable offense if I'm not mistaken.

JZ said:
Sure I mean, man, muslims are like outbreeding you on your own shores bro, but what do you have against them in particular?

Up until this point Josh had almost convinced me that Pot was not only non-toxic (probably true) but also incredibly good for you in many ways. Almost to the point of convincing me to try it out. I am being unfair to him here (he deserves it) Josh was capable of discussing some heavy concepts (Far ouuut Man!!)
  The proof of the pudding is in the eating however and after getting the above responses I began to have niggling doubts that maybe it had a severely detrimental effect on ones critical thinking abilities.
  The last line is a classic, what do you have against people who are outbreeding you on your own shores? Oh nothing much bro nothing much, just life and liberty thats at stake.[/size]
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Possible evidence Pot/marijuna is harmful to brain
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if there is evidence that it causes sterility in men.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

Don't need a report to tell me those smelly morons smoking pot will have brain damage.
You see them wobbling all over the streets babbling to themselves and laughing. How can anyone argue that pot has no effect on the brain.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
This is not scientific proof of anything. This is your subjective experience. While my experience is the complete opposite. I know many scholars and professionals who also smoke, and they are even right-wing... I also knew many years ago right-wing conservatives who smoked pot...

So while you may have fun ribbing your friend with this there is little to support your conclusion.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
Don't need a report to tell me those smelly morons smoking pot will have brain damage.
You see them wobbling all over the streets babbling to themselves and laughing. How can anyone argue that pot has no effect on the brain.

When you observe responsible, professional people who smoke it and continue to be productive and creative you realize that it is not as cut-and-dried as you suggest..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »
Just say no to drugs....unless you are sick and need it to survive.  Even Chaim says so.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:17:29 PM »

Sounds like a drunk not a pothead. The pothead would most likely  be in his room, probably watching  old reruns of star trek and thinking "How is Data aging?" LOL

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Joke.

The drunk takes the stop sign .The pothead waits for it to turn green. ;D

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
I didn't know JTF had members whose life purpose is to whitewash weed!

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:26 AM »
WOW people are still talking about this
The point is people who do it once in a while and live productive lives don't care, are not convinced and will still do it no matter who says it, even if it's a law, even if prominent people on this forum say so even if 10000 people say so, if people want to do it they will do it (unashamedly) and wont be convinced otherwise! Oh and yeah it does lower sperm count but that's actually a wanted effect from some tokers I know.

Anyways let's move on!

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:18 AM »
Everything Hashem makes has a useful and destructive purpose. Even microbes ..even a mosquito!  It does not kill brain cells, it does make changes but it does not kill braincells. I dont know many more times I can say this without loosing my breath, This is DEA propaganda , since when are JTFers so naive they listen to whatever the government says.

One last time , TCH, CBD ect do not kill your braincells. Where do people get these facts from? ( the GOV does not count)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:00:25 AM by Chai »

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
3) Doesn't Marijuana cause brain damage?
    The short answer: No.

The long answer: The reason why you ask this is because you probably heard or read somewhere that marijuana damages brain cells, or makes you stupid. These claims are untrue.

The first one -- marijuana kills brain cells -- is based on research done during the second Reefer Madness Movement. A study attempted to show that marijuana smoking damaged brain structures in monkeys. However, the study was poorly performed and it was severely criticized by a medical review board. Studies done afterwards failed to show any brain damage, in fact a very recent study on Rhesus monkeys used technology so sensitive that scientists could actually see the effect of learning on brain cells, and it found no damage.

But this was Reefer Madness II, and the prohibitionists were looking around for anything they could find to keep the marijuana legalization movement in check, so this study was widely used in anti-marijuana propaganda. It was recanted later.

(To this day, the radical anti-drug groups, like P.R.I.D.E. and Dr. Gabriel Nahas, still use it -- In fact, America's most popular drug education program, Drug Abuse Resistance Education, claims that marijuana "can impair memory perception & judgement by destroying brain cells.'' When police and teachers read this and believe it, our job gets really tough, since it takes a long time to explain to children how Ms. Jones and Officer Bob were wrong.)

The truth is, no study has ever demonstrated cellular damage, stupidity, mental impairment, or insanity brought on specifically by marijuana use -- even heavy marijuana use. This is not to say that it cannot be abused, however.

4) If it doesn't kill brain cells, how does it get you `high'?
    Killing brain cells is not a pre-requisite for getting `high.' Marijuana contains a chemical which substitutes for a natural brain chemical, with a few differences. This chemical touches special `buttons' on brain cells called `receptors.' Essentially, marijuana `tickles' brain cells. The legal drug alcohol also tickles brain cells, but it will damage and kill them by producing toxins (poisons) and sometimes mini-seizures. Also, some drugs will wear out the buttons which they push, but marijuana does not.

5) Don't people die from smoking pot?
    Nobody has ever overdosed. For any given substance, there are bound to be some people who have allergic reactions. With marijuana this is extremely rare, but it could happen with anything from apples to pop-tarts. Not one death has ever been directly linked to marijuana itself. In contrast, many legal drugs cause hundreds to hundreds of thousands of deaths per year, foremost among them are alcohol, nicotine, valium, aspirin, and caffiene. The biggest danger with marijuana is that it is illegal, and someone may mix it with another drug like PCP.

Marijuana is so safe that it would be almost impossible to overdose on it. Doctors determine how safe a drug is by measuring how much it takes to kill a person (they call this the LD50) and comparing it to the amount of the drug which is usually taken (ED50). This makes marijuana hundreds of times safer than alcohol, tobacco, or caffiene. According to a DEA Judge "marijuana is the safest therapeutically active substance known to mankind.''

6) I forgot, does marijuana cause short-term memory impairment?
    The effect of marijuana on memory is its most dramatic and the easiest to notice. Many inexperienced marijuana users find that they have very strange, sudden and unexpected memory lapses. These usually take the form of completely forgetting what you were talking about when you were right in the middle of saying something important. However, these symptoms only occur while a person is `high'. They do not carry over or become permanent, and examinations of extremely heavy users has not shown any memory or thinking problems. More experienced marijuana users seem to be able to remember about as well as they do when they are not `high.'

Studies which have claimed to show short-term memory impairment have not stood up to scrutiny and have not been duplicated. Newer studies show that marijuana does not impair simple, real-world memory processes. Marijuana does slow reaction time slightly, and this effect has sometimes been misconstrued as a memory problem. To put things in perspective, one group of researchers made a control group hold their breath, like marijuana smokers do. Marijuana itself only produced about twice as many effects on test scores as breath holding. Many people use marijuana to study. Other people cannot, for some reason, use marijuana and do anything that involves deep thought. Nobody knows what makes the difference.

more
. If marijuana use were truly a causative factor for schizophrenia, the United States likely would have seen a large increase in cases of schizophrenia in the last 30 years as a result of increased use in the 1960s and 1970s. However, a review of epidemiological evidence up to 1990 failed to show these results, suggesting the relationship between marijuana use and psychiatric illness is not completely direct (Thornicroft 1990).

I can go on forever showing studies that disprove this myth.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
OK fine. Lets justify pot by comparing smoking one or two joints of weed with smoking 6 packs a day for 100 years.
Oh look that tobacco addict died of cancer after smoking 16 packs for 200 years! He should have been smoking one joint a year instead.
Let's all do pot instead of dieing of cancer. And lets not forget how we're hurting mother earth.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 02:48:31 AM »
Please!
Joints are BAD!! Most joints are rolled with actual tobacco so obviously if people smoke joints and end up with cancer it's because they smoked tobacco along with it it's their own fault.

The best method is by using a vaporizer, it does not burn the substance, just heats it up into vapor. Or use water pipes etc to filter out the smoke. Joints are just stupid and look like tampons.
Not only that, marijuana can be eaten (pot brownies) and you would not have to worry about getting lung cancer.

Anyways who cares, just go to NORML and read the facts

But you guys are soooo right, pot is soo bad and we must all believe this or else this will happen:

better not do drugz kidz!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or this http/youtube.com/watch?v=LoVVukAdQCo&feature=related
or this HILARIOUS scene where a nice christian family finds a joint lol http/youtube.com/watch?v=JB24X05F0wI

HA this one reminds me of the people who believe the propaganda http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZypVZxo9irc&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:35:06 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:50 AM »
Listen Everyone....

Let us not argue this topic on JTF, I do not consider this to be an issue which JTFers should have to think about when there are far more important things which need our attention.

Chaim also has laid down the official JTF position which I respect although there are issues which I still have on the topic. But I am not going to argue against Chaim who has spent his time explaining how he feels. In general I agree that humans should not have to seek pleasure from substances. While I personally know how much it is pleasurable I also feel that it brings a soul down to consider its physicality.

Our spirit longs to be 'high' and we attempt to seek that high spiritual plane through the use of substances. I have tried many substances in my younger days and I know that it is attractive. We should not indulge in pleasure, even acceptable pleasure, because of this effect of bringing our soul down from the high level to the lower physical level.

Let this topic pass and maybe we will all come to agree in the future.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
Yeah no one's opinions are going to change so let's move on!!!!!!!

(I can respect other people's opinions, doesn't mean I agree or am convinced but I can respect and tolerate just as I would expect others to respect n tolerate my views or at least agree to disagree rather than keep going on a discussion that no one will ever agree on).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:03:23 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:48 AM »
I agree , I do not think it is an important issue. I respect JTFs  official position on this 100%.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:43 AM »
Just say no to drugs.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
For the people who say pot doesn't destroy brain cells and is not addictive, my question is why are pot smokers so obsessive about it ? why all the propaganda they do ? how come they lack the conscious and buy it from the most evil drug dealers. In Israel Arab terrorists supply most of the drugs including cannabis. Buying any drug on the street means giving your money to Hezbullah and other muslim Nazis. Those of you in north America should also beware of who supplies your habits. All the Mexicans and South American drug cartels are incredibly evil and doing buisness with them is a sin. They also have ties to Hezbullah and other muslim Nazis. Think about it before you purchase your stash on the street. If you must use it, then grow it yourself. And don't tell me then you are not an addict.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
Btw, Chai, I do want to thank you for your kind words and complement of me on AskJTF. It means a lot.

Offline Canuckguy

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
So stop taking marijuana and parroting Vancier like zombies.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
Did your vibrator get stuck this morning, Ralph? If so you need to get to the emergency room and stop b**tching at us.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »

Btw, Chai, I do want to thank you for your kind words and complement of me on AskJTF. It means a lot.

:)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

Yup, we got a troll here...

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
For the people who say pot doesn't destroy brain cells and is not addictive, my question is why are pot smokers so obsessive about it ? why all the propaganda they do ? how come they lack the conscious and buy it from the most evil drug dealers. In Israel Arab terrorists supply most of the drugs including cannabis. Buying any drug on the street means giving your money to Hezbullah and other muslim Nazis. Those of you in north America should also beware of who supplies your habits. All the Mexicans and South American drug cartels are incredibly evil and doing buisness with them is a sin. They also have ties to Hezbullah and other muslim Nazis. Think about it before you purchase your stash on the street. If you must use it, then grow it yourself. And don't tell me then you are not an addict.

No one here I don't think said that it not addictive ,it is and smoking it causes cancer but braincells it does not kill ,for all the harms that isn't one of them its like saying tea kills cells BC it relaxes you