Author Topic: Possible evidence Pot/marijuna is harmful to brain  (Read 6420 times)

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
Re: Possible evidence Pot/marijuna is harmful to brain
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
This is not scientific proof of anything. This is your subjective experience. While my experience is the complete opposite. I know many scholars and professionals who also smoke, and they are even right-wing... I also knew many years ago right-wing conservatives who smoked pot...

So while you may have fun ribbing your friend with this there is little to support your conclusion.

The point was for me to have fun muman,  ;D
 and also he's not my friend
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
POT is terrible for your brain, it is a gateway drug.  Stop rationalizing your use of it, if you use it.  It kills brain cells.  Really, your denial isn't hurting anyone but yourself

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
Did your vibrator get stuck this morning, Ralph? If so you need to get to the emergency room and stop b**tching at us.

Perhaps Ralph was the one smoking pot himself.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »
Everyone I know that was a habitual user of Marijuana for long periods of time now has problems with memory, and many have issues just completing a sentence.

VERY sad.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:22 AM »
Everyone I know that was a habitual user of Marijuana for long periods of time now has problems with memory, and many have issues just completing a sentence.

VERY sad.

Once again my experience is the opposite... Most of the smart people in my school smoked a lot of pot and went on to be professionals. There is no evidence that long term memory is affected by MJ. In my opinion the effect of pot depends on the individual who smokes it. Some people get lazy while others are motivated to do things, some get introverted while others extroverted. And some people can function as well after they smoked as they did before.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »
POT is terrible for your brain, it is a gateway drug.  Stop rationalizing your use of it, if you use it.  It kills brain cells.  Really, your denial isn't hurting anyone but yourself

This is not true. It is not a gateway drug any more than alcohol is a gateway drug, or aspirin is a gateway drug... There is no relation between the chemical THC which is the active ingredient in Marijuana and any of the hard drugs like Cocaine or Methamphetamine.

The only thing which happens which pot is lied about to young people is to make them think that all drugs are dangerous. Cocaine and Meth ARE DANGEROUS drugs but Pot is not a dangerous drug no matter how biased you are about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

By Marc Kaufman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 26, 2006

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin's previous work on marijuana to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes marijuana is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/142271/smoking_marijuana_does_not_cause_lung_cancer/

Smoking Marijuana Does Not Cause Lung Cancer
New research shows here seems to be something in pot that actually undermines cancer, instead of causing it. -- and the media are doing their best to ignore it.
August 28, 2009  |    

Editor's Note: There is a groundswell of attention in the news to marijuana's role in causing and preventing various types of cancers. Last week, AlterNet published an article from the Marijuana Policy Project about a new study finding that pot smokers have a lower risk of head and neck cancers than people who don’t smoke pot. Earlier this year, the corporate media pounced on a study suggesting that men who had been using marijuana at least once per week and who had started smoking pot prior to age 18 had an elevated risk of testicular cancer known as nonseminoma, which makes up fewer than half of one percent of all cancer cases among men.

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/marijuana

PS: There are many conflicting studies still so it is really difficult to know which is correct... I judge based on my experience... But everyone needs to do what they believe is right, and I do not suggest people smoke pot as I have stated numerous times.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:28:06 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »
I have said before, and I will say again, that nobody should want to have to smoke pot. It is not a good habit to have, neither is smoking cigarettes, or drinking beer and alcohol.... All these habits are bad for a persons soul... We should not seek these things but if we need it in order to repair something broken {as in treating pain, helping healing, etc.} then I believe we should use what we can in order to do so.

I understand why some are for completely making it illegal... But I also know that it is not as dangerous as some make it to be. My experience has taught me what are really dangerous drugs and which ones are less harmful than alcohol.

Certainly no minor {less than 18 years old} should be smoking pot for recreation. Young men and women are developing and need to keep their systems in top shape. Even I did not start doing this till I was at least 20 years old... I am not for general legalization and only support medicinal usage of pot...

PS: I do not know a single Orthodox Rabbi who condones the recreational use of pot... All Rabbis who I know consider recreational drug use to be against Jewish values and a problem within the community.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:49:27 AM by muman613 »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:48 AM »
Muman, I wish you wouldn't defend Marijuana use.  It has destroyed some of my close friends' lives.  It has absolutely caused changes in their mental capabilities.  I am not talking about casual use... I am talking about non-stop use from teen years to now in their late 30's.  Its very depressing when I see how they have slowly morphed from being sharp-minded to mentally confused; scatterbrained individuals.

One friend specifically told me that he thinks it has caused brain damage, and he is currently seeking help for it.  Its a shame that in the past, there werent long-term studies to prove this correlation, but they are finally proving it now, and I will gladly copy and paste the studies if you want me to.

That doesnt mean I think it is lethal, or that it is as dangerous as hard-core drugs.  And of course I am for medicinal use of Marijuana, assuming its legitimate.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 03:45:07 AM »
Muman, I wish you wouldn't defend Marijuana use.  It has destroyed some of my close friends' lives.  It has absolutely caused changes in their mental capabilities.  I am not talking about casual use... I am talking about non-stop use from teen years to now in their late 30's.  Its very depressing when I see how they have slowly morphed from being sharp-minded to mentally confused; scatterbrained individuals.

One friend specifically told me that he thinks it has caused brain damage, and he is currently seeking help for it.  Its a shame that in the past, there werent long-term studies to prove this correlation, but they are finally proving it now, and I will gladly copy and paste the studies if you want me to.

That doesnt mean I think it is lethal, or that it is as dangerous as hard-core drugs.  And of course I am for medicinal use of Marijuana, assuming its legitimate.

I am sorry it seems that I am defending it. I have tried to present both sides, according to my experience, of the story. I know people who have been destroyed by hard drugs but I don't know anyone who has been adversely affected by pot. I will not repeat what I have written and I respect your experience so I will let it rest.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »
Do you not realize that there are REALLY young people reading this forum? ???
I think this is perfect proof that marijuana use impairs judgement.

Please!
The best method is by using a vaporizer, it does not burn the substance, just heats it up into vapor. Or use water pipes etc to filter out the smoke. Joints are just stupid and look like tampons.
Not only that, marijuana can be eaten (pot brownies) and you would not have to worry about getting lung cancer.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
It seems like all the potheads try to give excuses for using it.
It doesn't have to be used as a pain killer, people can live with a little pain but if they have the pot handy and it gives them a reason to use it they will.
If anyone is in that much pain that they need to smoke pot then that shouldn't really help them and they should go to the doctor to get regular pain killers.
Pot is a drug like any other illegal drug, it leads to more and more pot smoking and when that's not enough it leads to stronger and stronger drugs which leads to crime.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
Do you not realize that there are REALLY young people reading this forum? ???
I think this is perfect proof that marijuana use impairs judgement.

Well said Bullcat3

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
This is not true. It is not a gateway drug any more than alcohol is a gateway drug, or aspirin is a gateway drug... There is no relation between the chemical THC which is the active ingredient in Marijuana and any of the hard drugs like Cocaine or Methamphetamine.

The only thing which happens which pot is lied about to young people is to make them think that all drugs are dangerous. Cocaine and Meth ARE DANGEROUS drugs but Pot is not a dangerous drug no matter how biased you are about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/142271/smoking_marijuana_does_not_cause_lung_cancer/

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/marijuana

PS: There are many conflicting studies still so it is really difficult to know which is correct... I judge based on my experience... But everyone needs to do what they believe is right, and I do not suggest people smoke pot as I have stated numerous times.

Muman,

You are absolutely wrong about this.  Look at the statistics from the SAMSHA website.  You really shouldn't post things that are factually incorrect, especially regarding an issue that has such calamitous consequences.  It may have not had this effect on you or some of your friends, but that's anecdotal, and you really don't know what exact effects it had on your friends. You can easily google amotivational syndrome and see the most common consequence of chronic marijuana abuse.  I see this everyday in pts who have abused marijuana.  Yes, there may be some who are resilient, but that is not an indication to state that it is not devastating to one's ability to store, process and retrieve information in the same way that they were able to, pre-abuse

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »
That video discusses the potential cancer-curing properties of THC. There have been studies which support this and there is nothing factually incorrect in that video. Google cancer-killing properties of Marijuana. This is just more evidence that there are many medicinal uses for Marijuana and THC based drugs...

I am tired of arguing about this. As I said it is up to the individual to decide based on the evidence.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
That video discusses the potential cancer-curing properties of THC. There have been studies which support this and there is nothing factually incorrect in that video. Google cancer-killing properties of Marijuana. This is just more evidence that there are many medicinal uses for Marijuana and THC based drugs...

I am tired of arguing about this. As I said it is up to the individual to decide based on the evidence.

it is interesting that people want to dictate to others what they ingest into their bodies. It is none of my business what another individual chooses to consume, ingest, or "use."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
it is interesting that people want to dictate to others what they ingest into their bodies. It is none of my business what another individual chooses to consume, ingest, or "use."

I dont believe that everything should be legal. There are some really danderous substances which people use. Meth & coke are examples of some of the worst. I only support medicinal use to be legal.

Offline Iron Greek

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »
pot is harmless! The leaders and media have been brainwashing people for decades!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
pot is harmless! The leaders and media have been brainwashing people for decades!
For what reason?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
Joints are BAD!! Most joints are rolled with actual tobacco so obviously if people smoke joints and end up with cancer it's because they smoked tobacco along with it it's their own fault.

No that's absolutely incorrect. The amount of anti-intellectual, anti-science viewpoints here shock me, especially since Jews are renown for our scientific ability and discoveries.

When rolling a joint, you empty it of tobacco. After it's emptied, there is NO tobacco left. Even if you want to say that there might be micro fragments of tobacco left in the joint, that's still alright, because it's only one joint. Smoking 1/1000th of a cigarette every week is not harmful.

Also, you are talking about dutches and swishers, but other rolling papers are sold without the tobacco. Of course, smoking a bowl or from a vaporizer is better, but that's not because of the reason that you stated.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
No that's absolutely incorrect. The amount of anti-intellectual, anti-science viewpoints here shock me, especially since Jews are renown for our scientific ability and discoveries.

When rolling a joint, you empty it of tobacco. After it's emptied, there is NO tobacco left. Even if you want to say that there might be micro fragments of tobacco left in the joint, that's still alright, because it's only one joint. Smoking 1/1000th of a cigarette every week is not harmful.

Also, you are talking about dutches and swishers, but other rolling papers are sold without the tobacco. Of course, smoking a bowl or from a vaporizer is better, but that's not because of the reason that you stated.

Huh? Who ever rolls a joint with tobacco? Rolling papers are made out of ricepaper...

The reports I read say that smoking pot and tobacco together is VERY VERY dangerous and should be avoided at all possible...

I never really understood why people smoke cigarettes... I smoked them for maybe a month when i was trying to impress a girl in highschool but other than that I have no desire to smoke cigarettes and consider it a dirty and smelly habit. Here at work we have some Chinese nationals who smoke like chimneys and you can smell them coming down the hallway..

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
Grrrrrrr! People are still going on about it!?
1st off who the hell cares. and 2 yes some people roll joints with tobacco. Some do some don't. Mixing tobacco and weed is called a spliff! And it's not a good thing to mix the both.

Hopefully everyone can move on and agree to disagree on this topic considering that there are more important things to worry about such as the Bakerstinian attacks on Israel where people die rather than keep going on about weed and who's right or wrong or how people smoke it or not.
I would really prefer if we all agree to disagree and focus on more important topics! I am willing do so

In fact I hereby QUIT this topic once and for all! No more. I shall ignore it and read up some other topics that are important. So this is my last post in the pot or any pot related threads.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:10:44 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 02:47:01 AM »

Administrators!!!

I'm starting to wonder why FreedomFighter has not been banned.  A very important standard we have here is for the secular members to be respectful of the many religious members here.  FF08 continually crosses that line.  In fact, he breaks that rule with nearly every post he makes.  Please read through his posts and either give him a warning or remove him from the forum.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:09 AM »
Administrators!!!

I'm starting to wonder why FreedomFighter has not been banned.  A very important standard we have here is for the secular members to be respectful of the many religious members here.  FF08 continually crosses that line.  In fact, he breaks that rule with nearly every post he makes.  Please read through his posts and either give him a warning or remove him from the forum.

I agree that his posts are very disrespectful... Maybe he should do some time in the 'Time Out' section?

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »
Administrators!!!

Well I started the post to have a wee bit of fun at the expense of my ex acqaintance. Now I've already heard every single thing I ever want to hear in defense or in favor of pot from my ex-friend and i dinnae want to hear it again. If people are going to start quarreling and being disrespectful on the thread I'll lock it.
Kay.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
I agree that his posts are very disrespectful... Maybe he should do some time in the 'Time Out' section?

I banned him...I'm sorry Lisa if you really preferred if he was in the Time Out section, but really, he was really disrespectful and a nusance at this point.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein