Author Topic: Healthy Recipe: Roast Beets and Daikon  (Read 6333 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Healthy Recipe: Roast Beets and Daikon
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
Roasted Daikon and Beets

This was so good!!!

Ok so you get a big daikon radish. It looks like a parsnip kind of or a big white thing about the length of your forearm. You also get a bunch of beets with 3-4 beets in it.

Wash all the vegetables really well, this is important to prevent foodborne illness even in vegetables.

Cut the tops off the beets (I recommend saving the greens to cook separately rather than throwing them away, they're nutritious and full of good-for-you stuff). After washing them well cut the ends off the beets, careful not to squirt juice everywhere.

Cut the beets into chunks of about the same size and set aside.

Get the Daikon and after washing it cut the ends off, peel it with a vegetable peeler and then cut it into chunks about the same size as the beets you cut. If it's a long one you may want to cut it in half before peeling it.

Coat the vegetables in olive oil and season with what you want to season them with (a little salt is good).

Preheat the oven then bake the vegetables at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

The beets will turn out earthy and sweet and the daikon will still have a little spiciness to it.

I made it this morning with the following amounts:
beets 11.8 oz. (144 calories)
daikon 12.5 oz. (67 calories)
olive oil one tbsp (119 calories)

calorie total: 330 for whole pan of baked vegetables, or if you split it in half (which you probably will) about 165 calories per serving.

Root vegetables are really healthy and delicious, and roasting brings out their natural sweetness and flavor.

The beets might turn your pee red but nothing unhealthy about that!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Healthy Recipe: Roast Beets and Daikon
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Glad you're eating healthy, Rubystars.  Sounds delicious.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
Roasted Daikon and Beets

This was so good!!!

Ok so you get a big daikon radish. It looks like a parsnip kind of or a big white thing about the length of your forearm. You also get a bunch of beets with 3-4 beets in it.

Wash all the vegetables really well, this is important to prevent foodborne illness even in vegetables.

Cut the tops off the beets (I recommend saving the greens to cook separately rather than throwing them away, they're nutritious and full of good-for-you stuff). After washing them well cut the ends off the beets, careful not to squirt juice everywhere.

Cut the beets into chunks of about the same size and set aside.

Get the Daikon and after washing it cut the ends off, peel it with a vegetable peeler and then cut it into chunks about the same size as the beets you cut. If it's a long one you may want to cut it in half before peeling it.

Coat the vegetables in olive oil and season with what you want to season them with (a little salt is good).

Preheat the oven then bake the vegetables at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

The beets will turn out earthy and sweet and the daikon will still have a little spiciness to it.

I made it this morning with the following amounts:
beets 11.8 oz. (144 calories)
daikon 12.5 oz. (67 calories)
olive oil one tbsp (119 calories)

calorie total: 330 for whole pan of baked vegetables, or if you split it in half (which you probably will) about 165 calories per serving.

Root vegetables are really healthy and delicious, and roasting brings out their natural sweetness and flavor.

The beets might turn your pee red but nothing unhealthy about that!

Thanks for the recipe Rubystars.  I am trying to eat in more and I have been cooking at home.  The problem is at the end of the day I'm tired and not into having to do a lot of work in the kitchen.  This sounds easy to make and delicious

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
Rubystars, is 40 minutes enough to cook the beets? the ones I have encountered are really hard and need longer cooking times to become softer.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
Rubystars, is 40 minutes enough to cook the beets? the ones I have encountered are really hard and need longer cooking times to become softer.

They are for me but then again I think they taste ok raw. You can cook them longer if you want. According to the world's healthiest food site you shouldn't cook them longer than an hour if you want to preserve more nutrition. I'm sure they're still healthy if cooked longer than that though.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
Glad you're eating healthy, Rubystars.  Sounds delicious.

It makes a big difference that I can sort of have a sense of adventure by exploring new vegetables and fruits I haven't had before. I had a cashier get excited when I was buying Yucca and she asked me where I was from.   :::D I had that before I started eating healthy though.

I recommend red bananas those taste better than regular bananas (they have to be ripe though).

Also radish greens are good and a type of sweet potato called boniato is really tasty.

Thanks for the recipe Rubystars.  I am trying to eat in more and I have been cooking at home.  The problem is at the end of the day I'm tired and not into having to do a lot of work in the kitchen.  This sounds easy to make and delicious

You're welcome I'm going to try to be posting more recipes when I find out stuff like this. I forgot to mention that regular radishes can be substituted for the daikon if you can't find it. Roasted they basically taste identical in my opinion but the daikon is cool because it's big.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
They are for me but then again I think they taste ok raw. You can cook them longer if you want. According to the world's healthiest food site you shouldn't cook them longer than an hour if you want to preserve more nutrition. I'm sure they're still healthy if cooked longer than that though.

Thanks, Rubystars, I'll try this when I get a hold of some daikon radish.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
Where did you find this recipe, Rubystars?  What's the name of this "world's healthiest cookbook" you mentioned?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
Where did you find this recipe, Rubystars?  What's the name of this "world's healthiest cookbook" you mentioned?

I found it by making it and realizing it turned out well and this is the site that I got the other information from:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=49

"Unlike some other food pigments, betalains undergo very steady loss from food as the length of cooking time is increased. For example, one recent study has shown the red betalain pigments in beets to be far less heat stable than red anthocyanin pigments in red cabbage. The difference between 15 minutes of steaming versus 25 minutes of steaming, or 60 minutes of roasting versus 90 minutes of roasting can be significant in terms of betalain damage. For these reasons, we recommend that you keep beet steaming times to 15 minutes or less, and roasting times under an hour. "

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
It sounds like it could be good, but why no meat of any kind in it? Why not some chicken?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »
It sounds like it could be good, but why no meat of any kind in it? Why not some chicken?

You could eat that too. The vegetables could be  a side dish.