Author Topic: Amazing examples of sacrifice from your hometown that influenced you...  (Read 734 times)

Offline Daniel Michael ben Avraham

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
I have often wondered what it was that made me have a different paradigm of the world compared to all of the nutty left and self hating Jews you see running around today.  When I look back at my childhood and my influences I realize that a large part why I am the way I am is because I grew up with examples of great sacrifice and obligation in fighting the evils of the world.  Also, to me the past was never explained as being something that was distant and irrelevant.  I was brought up feeling that my ancestors were not forgotten memories; rather, they were real people that were separated by time that I would have to meet some day.  I do indeed expect to have long conversations with my grandfathers when my time in this world has run its course.  Every day I feel their eyes upon me.  I will have to face them some day and I strive to be able to stand tall in their presence.  Have you ever thought what it is going to be like?  I hope I have the backbone to live the life of obligation I am bound to follow by my creator and meet the high expectations I know my father have.  As Jews our job in this world is the continual struggle, thus the name Israel.  I will work every day to ensure my sons learn this lesson as well.

I grew up just a block from the grave of one of the heroes of the greatest generation, Harlon Block.  You know him from the war memorial of the battle of Iwo Jima where the American flag is being raised.  You may remember that he was portrayed in the film "Flags of our Fathers."  I used to visit him often knowing that he grew up in the same little Texas town I did (he has since been moved to the site of the flag raising sculpture at the Marine Military Academy).  All that separated us was time and circumstance.  Gosh there were some brave young men back then.  Here are some pictures of some of the examples of sacrifice I grew up with from my home town.

They were the greats:
http://www.iwojima.com/team.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Block

There were many other people of sacrifice and obligation which influenced me.  The young men mentioned are only some of the ones that are better known.

Can y'all share examples from your home towns and places you grew up?

שבת שלום
דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא