Author Topic: Nearly half of all cancers are down to Alcohol/smoking and poor diet!  (Read 1200 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
Maybe stating the obvious, but i remember a ear ago a jtf member posted that diet and healthy lifestyle has no impact on whether you will have cancer or not, its purely down to luck or genes. Well strong research suggests the polar opposite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16031149

Cut down on your alcohol, and start eating more beetroots, onions, sweet potatoes and tomatoes folks...oh and oily fish such as salmon and Mackrael.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Nearly half of all cancers are down to Alcohol/smoking and poor diet!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
I also advocate eating properly, and exercise, BUT by your headline alone you prove the opposite.
 - Nearly half? What about the other majority half? + with the fact that most people don't even eat properly, and exercise the recommended amount? That would suggest that eating badly, etc. etc. gives even less cancer. 
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
Healthy eating and exercise is important but some people do everything right and still get cancer.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
No question that eating well, not excessively drinking, and not smoking are important for living healthy.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Healthy eating and exercise is important but some people do everything right and still get cancer.

there are people that smoke like chimneys and still live to be over 90 plus. But they are the exception not the norm. You go to places like detroit where obesity, alcoholism and drugs are pevalent and i bet you cancer rates are higher than the norm.

There are black people that are rightous, that does not stop the fact that the majoraity are trash. There are people who practice safe sex that have gotten Hiv.

So at the end of the day, although there are other factors that you cannot help, its proven that on average, a healthy life decreases your chance of getting cancer.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
I do not believe half of what Doctors are telling us.... Maybe some day we will know what causes cancer but I think that the majority of the doctors are just shooting in the dark..

A quick look at the topic of 'Smoking and Alzheimers disease' indicate that there are some studies which say that smoking increases the risk of dementia and Alzheimers disease while there are competing studies which indicate that smoking actually decreases the risk of dementia...

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/medical/alzheimers/2010-10-26-smokingAlz23_ST_N.htm
Study: Alzheimer's risk spikes 157% with heavy smoking

http://www.forces.org/evidence/carol/carol16.htm
ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE IS ASSOCIATED WITH NON-SMOKING
ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE IS ASSOCIATED WITH NON-SMOKING
Graves' pooled reanalysis found, "A statistically significant inverse relation between smoking and Alzheimer's disease was observed at all levels of analysis, with a trend towards decreasing risk with increasing consumption (p=0.0003). A propensity towards a stronger inverse relation was observed among patients with a positive family history of dementia."

Only three studies have ever linked smoking with AD. The reanalysis, in which the author of one participated, noted, "Since veterans may be expected to smoke more than the general population, and since smokers have been found to respond less frequently to questionnaires than non-smokers, the positive result observed for this study may be spurious."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/mar/05/smoking-alzheimers-goldacre-bad-science
If the media were actuarial about drawing our attention to the causes of avoidable death, newspapers would be filled with diarrhoea, Aids and cigarettes every day. In reality we know this is an absurd idea. For those interested in the scale of our fascination with rarity, one piece of research looked at a period in 2002 and found that 8,571 people had to die from smoking to generate one story on the subject from the BBC, while there were three stories for every death from vCJD.

So you've probably heard that smoking may prevent Alzheimer's. It comes up in the papers, sometimes to say it is true, sometimes to say it has been refuted. Maybe you think it's a mixed bag, that "experts are divided". Perhaps you smoke, and joke about how it will stop you losing your marbles.

I think smoking is definately not good for the body and don't suggest anyone do it. I only smoked cigarettes for two weeks while in highschool to impress a girl...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:50:03 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
Nobody can guarantee good health.  Look at Arthur Ashe who was a fine athlete and as far as I know a clean living guy, who had a heart attack in his thirties and contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion.  On the other hand we can influence the odds by healthy and sensible living.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Nobody can guarantee good health.  Look at Arthur Ashe who was a fine athlete and as far as I know a clean living guy, who had a heart attack in his thirties and contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion.  On the other hand we can influence the odds by healthy and sensible living.

Hes no roger federer ;)

but seriously The point im making is that you will decrease the odds.

Look at it like poker, i could play 100 percent perfect strategy and still lose. But on average i would beat you guys at poker. Same with healthy life style. I cant guarentee anyones future, whether healthy or unhealthy. But IMO you are making your own luck by having a "healthy" lifestyle.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »
I believe this. Still, 50% of cancers don't appear to be anyone's fault, at least with the knowledge we possess now.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
I do not drink or smoke and when ive got the time i walk about 5 miles a day !  I cannot afford to eat well ! Just basic food mostly dairy products .  But in my area there are high levels of RADON gas  >:( Which is not good! :o

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
I think some cancers are just age related. I used to have Eva and one of the things they said is that ferrets are really prone to cancers because they have such a short lifespan... same goes for a lot of other animals with short lifespans, the aging process has a lot to do with being prone to cancers. I think this applies to people in that, the older someone is, the bigger their risk factors.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »
Genetics for certain cancers also
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
If you needed to smoke to impress a girl, you were going after the wrong girl.  :o

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »

So the other half is what? Plutonium-239??
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774