Author Topic: Hindutva, Christian Missionaries, Black Supremacism in India  (Read 4399 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Hindutva, Christian Missionaries, Black Supremacism in India
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
http://www.oztorah.com/2010/07/wandering-jew-ask-the-rabbi/

Wandering Jew – Ask the Rabbi

Q. What is the origin of the name, “Wandering Jew”?

A. There is a plant which bears the name Wandering Jew because it is has a tendency to spread. The name was probably given without conscious antisemitic malice. There is also a bird called Wandering Jew, and even a card game and a game of dice. However, in Christian legend there is certainly a mythical figure called the Wandering Jew who embodies anti-Jewish animus. The underlying notion is that the Jews are destined to wander and be reviled because they rejected Jesus.

The story takes many forms and its origin is likely to have had little if any specific connection with Jews. Not until the 13th century did it become a clearly antisemitic legend, often linked with the tradition that an officer of the high priesthood struck Jesus on the way to the cross and Jesus condemned him to suffer punishment until the so-called second coming (“You will go on forever until I return” is what Jesus is said to have told him). The Wandering Jew is said to be called Ahasuerus, the same name as the Persian king in the story of Mordechai and Esther. The Wandering Jew legend says that the Ahasuerus who struck Jesus was a Jerusalem shoemaker.

Centuries of anti-Jewish prejudice inexorably conditioned Christian communities to see the Jew as a pathetic sinner doomed by his rejection of Jesus. The Wandering Jew was given different names in different versions of the story and became the central character in a sheaf of poems, novels and artistic and musical works, though the tragedy of the Holocaust has largely discredited the notion. However, some fundamentalist Christian circles who hang on to the story find it hard to come to terms with the vitality, dignity and creativity of the Jewish people and the vibrancy of the State of Israel.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
WJ,

Were you aware that the term 'Wandering Jew' is an offensive term to Jews? It has been a label which the Church used to portray the Jews as homeless and unloved by G-d? Where did you learn this term? Could you please explain its usage by you? I certainly hope you were not aware it was an offensive term to some...

I also just learned it is not always a derogatory term...

The term 'Wandering Jew' made me go looking through my book collection since I had a book some years ago by that title... Remarkably I managed to find it... The book is by Eugene Sue... The book is quite old it was printed in the 1840's... It's over 600 pages of very tiny print which makes it uninviting to read... It seems I must have started reading it at some point since it has bookmarks that I put there that are about a hundred pages in however the story must have left little or no impression on me since I don't recall a thing about it...A "Wickedpedia article about the book title shows the term is indeed offensive to Jews... I always thought the book was about the Jewish diaspora... It turns out the story line  is something quite different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:30:35 PM by cjd »
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm well-familiar with "wandering Jew" the plant. It has purple leaves and flowers, loves shade, and can take over favorable areas quickly. I actually have suggested that it's time to find a more socially conscious name for it.

Offline JustaGypsy

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
I didnt know that it is offensive to Jews. I just know Gypsies were associated with the WanderingJew and accussed of having stolen the nails to Jesus Crucifixation thats why they are doomed to wander the earth similar to Jews because of "deceit". Thats why i call myself WanderingJew, because im a Gypsy. Should i change my name?
once you go black we dont want you back!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »
I didnt know that it is offensive to Jews. I just know Gypsies were associated with the WanderingJew and accussed of having stolen the nails to Jesus Crucifixation thats why they are doomed to wander the earth similar to Jews because of "deceit". Thats why i call myself WanderingJew, because im a Gypsy. Should i change my name?

I am forgiving and understand that you didn't choose it to offend.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
I am forgiving and understand that you didn't choose it to offend.

I have a hard time buying that it's an honest mistake. Everybody knows what "wandering Jew" means, Jew and Gentile.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
WJ, if you are a Christian, as you claim, why would you call yourself Wandering Jew?

I would appreciate an answer.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
Please change your name.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
I have a hard time buying that it's an honest mistake. Everybody knows what "wandering Jew" means, Jew and Gentile.

I was going to say that I suggest he change his name. If he does not we will know that he doesn't care about being offensive. I give people the benefit of the doubt till they show a reason to doubt.

Offline JustaGypsy

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 01:24:35 AM »
WJ, if you are a Christian, as you claim, why would you call yourself Wandering Jew?

I would appreciate an answer.

-I changed my name
-WanderingJew because Gypsies were accused of being similar to the WanderinJew
-There are Jews who are Christians, the First Christians were all Jews (Peter and Paul just to name a few)

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 01:25:51 AM »
OK if you are really a Gypsy how come you don't refer to yourself using the proper name of Roma? And what's with your racist signature?

Offline JustaGypsy

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 01:27:56 AM »
-Gypsy is more popular than Roma, lots of People dont even know what Roma is
-The signature is not racist its just a preference, namely not to breed with black races