Author Topic: Thermonynamic view of good and evil  (Read 529 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Thermonynamic view of good and evil
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
I have come up with a very economical formulation. Enthropy - bad; negenthropy - good. Order, the growth of complexity, differentiation, discrimination - good; the disspation of order, chaos, blending, loss of distinction - bad.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Thermonynamic view of good and evil
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
I think not. Chaos is an important element in nature.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
I think not. Chaos is an important element in nature.

I think Hashem is greater than Chaos and Nature combined...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
That's a really pseudoscientific way of looking at things. If entropy wasn't in effect then pretty much everything would come to a screeching halt.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
I think Hashem is greater than Chaos and Nature combined...

G-d is greater than Satan. Yet evil exists for the reasons we cannot fully comprehend. Evil is necessary. It is part of Creation. But still we experience it as evil.

I just wanted to express the idea of goodness in the most economical terms. What is good? Creation. What is Creation? Infinite creativity and the growth of complexity. Like art and knowledge are becoming more and more complex. When art starts to disintegrate (like a lot, not all, of modern art) - that's not a good thing. Entropy in individual life is a loss of coherence, the loss of order that is expressed as aging and finally death. Yes, death is part of Hashem's design, but on an individual level, it is experienced as something deeply tragic and bad.

The rules of Kashrut. What are they? Basically, the rules of separation. Separation is the same as order. Separating A from B creates a unit of information. Information decreases entropy. Mixing things increases entropy (in most contexts).

Give me any example of evil, and I will show you how it could be seen as a loss of order.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
G-d is greater than Satan. Yet evil exists for the reasons we cannot fully comprehend. Evil is necessary. It is part of Creation. But still we experience it as evil.

I just wanted to express the idea of goodness in the most economical terms. What is good? Creation. What is Creation? Infinite creativity and the growth of complexity. Like art and knowledge are becoming more and more complex. When art starts to disintegrate (like a lot, not all, of modern art) - that's not a good thing. Entropy in individual life is a loss of coherence, the loss of order that is expressed as aging and finally death. Yes, death is part of Hashem's design, but on an individual level, it is experienced as something deeply tragic and bad.

The rules of Kashrut. What are they? Basically, the rules of separation. Separation is the same as order. Separating A from B creates a unit of information. Information decreases entropy. Mixing things increases entropy (in most contexts).

Give me any example of evil, and I will show you how it could be seen as a loss of order.

Masha,

I agree that seperation is important in Judaism. Actually part of the definition of the word Holy means to be separate. A holy person can separate himself from the immoral and the mundane.

Here is an example of this:

http://vbm-torah.org/archive/intparsha65/30-65kedoshim.htm
RASHI'S DEFINITION OF HOLINESS

Let us begin with Rashi who quotes a much earlier Rabbinic tradition:

"You shall be holy" means that you shall separate yourselves from forbidden sexual relationships and from transgression, for wherever there is a boundary concerning sexuality there is holiness...(commentary to 19:2).

For Rashi, the primary meaning of holiness – "kedusha" in the original Hebrew – is separation. To be holy means to be separate and to achieve holiness is to embrace separation. God is the ultimate expression of kedusha because He is utterly transcendent, His existence entirely separate from the limitations of the material world. But, avers Rashi, there is a specific area of human life that requires special attention in the matter of kedusha and that is sexuality. Presumably because the sex drive can be so easily misdirected, therefore it must be especially guarded from misuse. The textual inspiration for Rashi and the Rabbis must surely have been the conclusion of last week's Parasha of Acharei Mot that detailed no fewer than twenty-four sexual relationships and practices of the Egyptians and Canaanites that were to be regarded as forbidden, and then concluded the entire matter with a most sobering summation:

Do not become defiled by all of these things, for through these practices the peoples that I drive out from before you were themselves defiled. The land became defiled and I punished it for its iniquity, and the land spewed out its inhabitants. But you must keep My statutes and My laws, and do not do all of these abominations, whether the citizen or the convert that dwells in your midst...let not the land spew you forth for defiling it, just as it spewed out the peoples that came before you. Rather, keep My observances and do not perform all of these abominable statues that were practiced before you, and do not become defiled by them, for I am God your Lord (18:25-30).

But I do not believe that there is any formula or algorithm or science which can describe Hashem and his action in this world. This is why it is very simplistic to see black and white when it comes to evil. There are times when chaos and disunity is required so to say that they are inherently evil is a misunderstanding. This is my opinion.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14