Author Topic: Is malachi the last book of prophecy?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
Is malachi the last book of prophecy?
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »
Sorry Dan prompted this question and
Kahansit Jews are known to know the tanach well

Is malachi the last book of prophecy? I thought king Solomon wrote it?
Please someone tell last true prophetic text is I want to know how hashem says goodbye

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Is malachi the last book of prophecy?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »
Sorry Dan prompted this question and
Kahansit Jews are known to know the tanach well

Is malachi the last book of prophecy? I thought king Solomon wrote it?
Please someone tell last true prophetic text is I want to know how hashem says goodbye

Yes Malachi was the last prophet...

It was written by Malachi...

http://www.jewishideas.org/articles/end-prophecy-malachis-position-spiritual-developmen

Introduction

G-d communicated to people through prophecy for nearly the entire biblical period, from Adam until Malachi. According to a prevalent Jewish tradition, prophecy ceased with Malachi, not to be renewed until the messianic age. In this article, we will consider a few traditional explanations of why prophecy ceased and some spiritual implications for Judaism over the ensuing 2,500 years and counting.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1678766/jewish/Who-Was-the-Prophet-Malachi.htm

Who Was the Prophet Malachi?

By Rochel Chein

There are few details recorded about the Prophet Malachi.

We do know that he was a part of the Anshei Knesset Hagedolah, the Great Assembly that met in the Holy Temple in Jerusalem at the beginning of the Second Temple era.1

We also know that he was one of the last three prophets to be included in the era of prophets. The other two were Hagai and Zechariah.2 The Biblical commentator, Rabbi Avraham Ibn Ezra (1089(?)-1164), says that it was because there would be no prophets after him that Malachi told the Jews (3:22), “Keep in remembrance the teaching of Moses, My servant.”3

The prophetic writings close with one of Malachi’s more well-known prophecies that Elijah the prophet will herald the messianic era (3:23): “Lo, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of the L‑rd.”

There is a minority opinion in the Talmud that says that Malachi was actually Ezra the Scribe. There is another opinion that he was Mordechai from the story of the holiday of Purim.4 However, the opinion of the majority of the sages in the Talmud is that Malachi was a separate individual.5

FOOTNOTES
1.   Talmud, Bava Batra 15a and Megillah 17b.
2.   Talmud, Bava Batra 14b and Yuma 9b.
3.   Commentary on Malachi 1:1.
4.   Ibid.
5.   Talmud, Megillah 15a. This is also widely accepted by the Biblical commentators.

If you would like to read Malachi online at Chabad site it is @  http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16219

Malachi Chapter 1

1. The burden of the word of the Lord to Israel in the hand of Malachi.

2. I loved you, said the Lord, and you said, "How have You loved us?" Was not Esau a brother to Jacob? says the Lord. And I loved Jacob.

3. And I hated Esau, and I made his mountains desolate and his heritage into [a habitat for] the jackals of the desert.

4. Should Edom say, "We were poor, but we will return and build the ruins"? So said the Lord of Hosts: They shall build, but I will demolish; and they shall be called the border of wickedness and the people whom the Lord has damned forever.

5. And your eyes shall see, and you shall say, "The Lord is great beyond the border of Israel."

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
Malachi is only 3 chapters and it ends like this:

Malachi Chapter 3

17. And they shall be Mine, says the Lord of Hosts, for that day when I make a treasure. And I will have compassion on them as a man has compassion on his son who serves him.

18. And you shall return and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him who serves G-d and him who has not served Him.

19. For lo, the sun comes, glowing like a furnace, and all the audacious sinners and all the perpetrators of wickedness will be stubble. And the sun that comes shall burn them up so that it will leave them neither root nor branch, says the Lord of Hosts.

20. And the sun of mercy shall rise with healing in its wings for you who fear My Name. Then will you go forth and be fat as fatted calves.

21. And you shall crush the wicked, for they will be as ash under the soles of your feet on the day that I will prepare, says the Lord of Hosts.

22. Keep in remembrance the teaching of Moses, My servant-the laws and ordinances which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel.

23. Lo, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord,

24. that he may turn the heart of the fathers back through the children, and the heart of the children back through their fathers-lest I come and smite the earth with utter destruction.

PS: It is interesting that the word 'Segulah' {which we were discussing in the Torah section} appears in this Sefer/book of Neviim... Segulah means 'treasure' {see line 17}...

וְהָיוּ לִי, אָמַר יְהוָה צְבָאוֹת, לַיּוֹם, אֲשֶׁר אֲנִי עֹשֶׂה סְגֻלָּה; וְחָמַלְתִּי עֲלֵיהֶם--כַּאֲשֶׁר יַחְמֹל אִישׁ, עַל-בְּנוֹ הָעֹבֵד אֹתוֹ
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
Last book of Tannah is Chronicles 2- google it (or something else) it ends with instruction and as a challenge to return to Eretz Yisrael and rebuild the Temple.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
Last book of Tannah is Chronicles 2- google it (or something else) it ends with instruction and as a challenge to return to Eretz Yisrael and rebuild the Temple.
What do you mean by this? Are you saying the last book from Hashem is the book of Chronicles 2?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
The question was 'Is Malachi the last book of Prophecy' and the answer is YES... Chronicles is not a book of Prophecy... Chronicles is a book of Ketuvim/Writings...

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
What is the difference  between ketuvim and nevim?

I thought there was no prophecy during the second temple?

Why didn't hashem send us one last prophet during the second temple to warn us. Why did prophecy end when the Jews still had a temple?

Why is there no Roman writing on the curiosity of the miracles of our temple or any other nation on the plant from the time of temple 1 for that matter?

Where can one get information of how the jews wore clothing during the first temple is the garment talit from begid ivri an actuate depiction. Did Hebrews have distinct clothing style from the arabs. I want to wear this garment for my future wedding IMH do you think its to pretentious, strange or wired? will people laugh? thanks guys ur the best.

http://www.begedivri.com/garments.htm

I wish the site had better pics of the garments if anyone can help with that it would be awesome!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
What is the difference  between ketuvim and nevim?

I thought there was no prophecy during the second temple?

Why didn't hashem send us one last prophet during the second temple to warn us. Why did prophecy end when the Jews still had a temple?

Why is there no Roman writing on the curiosity of the miracles of our temple or any other nation on the plant from the time of temple 1 for that matter?

Where can one get information of how the jews wore clothing during the first temple is the garment talit from begid ivri an actuate depiction. Did Hebrews have distinct clothing style from the arabs. I want to wear this garment for my future wedding IMH do you think its to pretentious, strange or wired? will people laugh? thanks guys ur the best.

http://www.begedivri.com/garments.htm

I wish the site had better pics of the garments if anyone can help with that it would be awesome!

The 1st question is easy:

Ketuvim = Writings
Neviim = Prophets

All the writings by the prophets are called Neviim... All other writings such as the book of Esther, Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, Tehillim, etc. are considered Ketuvim...

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/torah.htm

TORAH (The Law):

* Bereishith (In the beginning) (Genesis)
    * Shemoth (The names) (Exodus)
    * Vayiqra (And He called) (Leviticus)
    * Bamidbar (In the wilderness) (Numbers)
    * Devarim (The words) (Deuteronomy)

NEVI'IM (The Prophets):

* Yehoshua (Joshua)
    * Shoftim (Judges)
    * Shmuel (I &II Samuel)
    * Melakhim (I & II Kings)
    * Yeshayah (Isaiah)
    * Yirmyah (Jeremiah)
    * Yechezqel (Ezekiel)
    * The Twelve (treated as one book)
          o Hoshea (Hosea)
          o Yoel (Joel)
          o Amos
          o Ovadyah (Obadiah)
          o Yonah (Jonah)
          o Mikhah (Micah)
          o Nachum
          o Chavaqquq (Habbakkuk)
          o Tzefanyah (Zephaniah)
          o Chaggai
          o Zekharyah (Zechariah)
          o Malakhi

KETHUVIM (The Writings):

* Divrei Ha-Yamim (The words of the days) (Chronicles)
    * Tehillim (Psalms)
    * Iyov (Job)
    * Mishlei (Proverbs)
    * Ruth
    * Shir Ha-Shirim (Song of Songs)
    * Qoheleth (the author's name) (Ecclesiastes)
    * Eikhah (Lamentations)
    * Esther
    * Daniel
    * Ezra and Nechemyah (Nehemiah) (treated as one book)