Author Topic: Norfolk, VA - Historic Torah Dedicated Aboard Carrier Harry S. Truman  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
Norfolk, VA - A Torah rescued from Lithuania has got a new home on the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman.

The carrier is one of the few Navy vessels to have its own Torah. Few ships are large enough to need one, said Sam Werbel, an organizer of a dedication ceremony Sunday attended by 500 community members and dignitaries. The audience included Holocaust survivors.

Several Jewish service members celebrated the event with the heavy 26-inch high scroll bearing the words of the Tanach.

About 5 percent or less of Lithuania's Jewish population survived the Holocaust. No religious artifacts, other than this Torah, are thought to remain of that country's Jewish population, organizers said.

Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, attended Sunday's dedication. He said Truman's namesake carrier was a fitting home for a Torah that would help service members "grow in their appreciation of our Jewish faith." [AP]

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
No religious artifacts other than the Torah are thought to remain from the entire Lithuanian Jewish population!  Amazing that this Naval carrier is using it now.  My grandparents were from Vilnus, Lithuania but left for Israel before the shoah. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
This is very cool!  I won't even let the fact that Carl Levin was there ruin it.
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!