Author Topic: Beware Jews and Vegans, Starbacks is serving bugs with its coffee  (Read 3394 times)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Beware Jews and Vegans, Starbacks is serving bugs with its coffee
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »

I actually meant reply to muman, not to myself.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
I wish that unhealthy foods could be considered nullified if they fell onto a plate 'accidentally'. Like "What do I do if a piece of chocolate cake accidentally/on purpose falls on my plate of broccoli?" Answer: If it's a small piece of cake, it's nullified.  :::D I so wish this was true!  ;D I know it doesn't work that way though, so I'm just using wishful, alternative-universe thinking here.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Depending on the ingredients, chocolate cake may or may not be healthy. Granted, most cake isn't.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
I like more Tschibo. But I don't know if it is allowed for Jews. They serve the bests cakes there and the coffee is very good. For this quality nobody can beat their prices. My wife and me go there often, because it is opposite our bank.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
I don't really find cochineal extract to be gross. I think it's used to color cheddar cheese. Of course it's not kosher or vegan though. Starbucks is trying to move to more natural, healthful ingredients and I think this is a good thing. If Jews on this board are concerened about cochineal extract, then they should avoid most red or orange colored foods until they know whether it contains it.

If Jews are concerned??? Every faithful Jew should be concerned. It's a Torah mandate for them, not just a matter of opinion!!! I am a Gentile and so do not have to keep Kosher. However I still try to avoid anything from impure animals. I don't keep the rules about ritual slaughter or waiting a certain time to eat dairy after meat.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 03:56:05 AM »
If Jews are concerned??? Every faithful Jew should be concerned. It's a Torah mandate for them, not just a matter of opinion!!! I am a Gentile and so do not have to keep Kosher. However I still try to avoid anything from impure animals. I don't keep the rules about ritual slaughter or waiting a certain time to eat dairy after meat.

A lot of Jews don't keep kosher or keep only partial kosher. I know it's a religious obligation if they are following Orthodox Judaism though. I was just trying to say that if you are concerned about something take the necessary precautions.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 04:55:20 AM »
I would think, if I knew what you were talking about? Not an insult!

Haha, ok, fair enough.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 05:00:13 AM »
I haven't heard of such opinion and it seems problematic. From what you say it's kosher to ear pig if you turn it into pink slime. Or is it then just applied to bugs ? Well in that case I think it has something to do with the 1/60 rule, and that rule I believe applies in case of an accident. If you deliberately add non-kosher ingredient then I think it's not kosher at any ration.

Specifically about bugs, not animals.  Shulhan aruch states that a "berya" is prohibited, which is a full insect but partial ones ok.  (Hope I'm citing that right).  You do raise an important point nonetheless about the use of this type of ingredient on purpose.  The star k (a famous hechsher in america) claims that "no serious kashrus organization certifies food with this ingredient" but that wasn't always the case.  There is some discussion in talmud about drying out a dead bug for long periods of time (as is done before they make this dye) and if it loses status of a bug.