Author Topic: Man loves to swim with his pet polar bear. video  (Read 651 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Man loves to swim with his pet polar bear. video
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
That's the kind of relationship that works until it doesn't. I really hope the guy doesn't get his face bitten off one day. Polar bears are just as dangerous as lions or tigers.

Offline Painter

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:06 PM »
Wild animals can never be truly domesticated and almost always turn on their "owner".

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
That man is crazy.  Sooner or later, he's going to be that bear's next meal. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
That's the kind of relationship that works until it doesn't. I really hope the guy doesn't get his face bitten off one day. Polar bears are just as dangerous as lions or tigers.

I couldnt stop laughing when I read the first sentence of your response: took my breath away  :::D :::D :::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
I couldnt stop laughing when I read the first sentence of your response: took my breath away  :::D :::D :::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
This thread made me think about the fact that in the wild, one of the natural foods of polar bears are people. This isn't usually mentioned in nature documentaries about them but humans and polar bears have been occupying the same space for a very long time and in all those years, many polar bears have eaten many people, and vice versa. The man is playing with a species of bear that has been known to specifically target humans for food.

Polar bears are more dangerous than black bears who are usually vegetarian in most of their eating and more dangerous than Grizzlies because grizzlies have a larger selection of foods to choose from. In the polar environment food is scarcer and polar bears have to get what they can get when they can get it, whether that be a seal or an Inuit ice fisherman.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
Well, as you know, these days egocentrism rules the roost.  Because I want to be friends with animals, therefore they want to be friends with me, therefore we're friends.  This is a kind of logic whose only admirer is itself

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »
Well, as you know, these days egocentrism rules the roost.  Because I want to be friends with animals, therefore they want to be friends with me, therefore we're friends.  This is a kind of logic whose only admirer is itself

There's a series on Animal Planet called fatal attractions which has a lot of episodes about people like this. Most of the stories end up in some kind of horrible tragedy because people don't respect their exotic animals but instead anthropormophize them to the point where they feel the animals can be predictable.

I'm not entirely happy with the theme of the series because I do believe that people who are qualified and follow safety rules should be able to own dangerous animals, while the show seems to take the position that this is something that should be completely banned. However I think there are VERY FEW people who actually should do this and they can never for one moment become complacent.