Author Topic: Weekly Parsha Videos & Thoughts (Parasha Shmini)  (Read 1581 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Weekly Parsha Videos & Thoughts (Parasha Shmini)
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:58 AM »
This Shabbat we will read Parasha Shmini. This is one Parasha which always makes me think long and hard about life and how to accept tragedy. It is in Shmini were we read about two of Aarons sons, Nadab and Abihu. These sons were destined to serve in the Holy of Holies as High Priests. They knew how to make the koteret {The fragrant incense used in the Mikdash and Temple} and how to perform the service.

Yet on the very first day, the inaugeration, of the Tabernacle these two holy sons died a tragic death while performing the service of bringing a fire which was not commanded. This alone is something which everyone must get their intellect and their emotions around. That Hashem would consume these two in a flame which came down from Shamayim/Heaven for doing a service which they considered an expression of their desire to be close to Hashem yet at the same time they didn't understand that by doing so they upset the order {by making halachic decisions without consulting Moshe and Aaron} and thus they were made examples of.

Aarons reaction is most puzzling and it is the thing most of the commentaries spend explaining. Aaron was 'SILENT' and Moses attempted to comfort him by saying "Now I know what Hashem meant when he said he would be sanctified by those who are nearest to me and thus I will be honored by the entire people."

Here is an excerpt from an article on Chabad.org:

http://www.torah.org/learning/dvartorah/5763/shemini.html

The Soundness of Silence

The sons of Aaron, Nadab and Abihu.... brought before Hashem an alien fire that He had not commanded them. A fire came forth from Hashem and consumed them, and they died before Hashem. Moses said to Aaron; Of this did Hashem speak saying: "I will be sanctified through those who are nearest to Me, thus I will be honored before the entire people." And Aaron was silent. (Vayikra 10:1-3)

This is what Moses said to Aaron: "Aaron my brother, your sons only died to sanctify the name of The Holy One Blessed Be He." Since Aaron knew his sons were amongst those who know The Omnipresent he was silent and he received a reward. (Talmud Zevachim )

Watch as Rabbi Richman explains some of the finer points of this weeks Parasha...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Weekly Parsha Videos & Thoughts (Parasha Shmini)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:05:01 AM »
Im still up and thinking about the Parasha.... Here is a tune about the laws of Kashrut...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Weekly Parsha Videos & Thoughts (Parasha Shmini)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:15:39 AM »