Author Topic: Affirmative Action Hair - Imerica Talks About Dem African Braids, UMM HMM!  (Read 28813 times)

Imerica

Yachov, was that your attempt at making me look bad? I didn't ONCE say UMMM HMM in the video. I had a lot more class in my video than you did bringing this thread to the forefront.

Do you agree that some blacks do say UMM HMM? It's mostly black women that do it.

;D

A lot of blacks have ATTITUDE!

Ummm-hmmm means attitude now? Wow.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Well when i say it, it certainly does!

Its because i am picturing a large black woman, holding a rolling pin, with hand on hips swaying them from side to side, saying it.

Yacov was asking a question! You assumed he was insulting you.....

Imerica

Well when i say it, it certainly does!

Its because i am picturing a large black woman, holding a rolling pin, with hand on hips swaying them from side to side, saying it.

Yacov was asking a question! You assumed he was insulting you.....

He asked me why ALL black men shave their heads. It was an insult because of the tone of the post as if he's angry with black men (those who do shave their heads) for doing it. I mean, newman had just mentioned Sinead O'Connor and her bout with the clippers, why wasn't Yacov's question directed at ANYONE who would shave their heads?

Oh and the other question. Yacov and you are acting as if I denied ever saying it or hearing any other woman say it. I've even heard white people say it. The connotation of the word from Yacov and now  you is that black women ONLY say it when they're angry. I say it when I agree with someone, instead of saying just 'yes'... in the same way you'd say 'mmmmm' when you have tasted something that's pleasing to your palate instead of just saying "WOW, This is Delicious". Why does the signifier have to be ONLY negative? And better yet, why did he post it as though people here were going to view the video to see if I'd say it?

I'm not a large black woman but I'm bigger than I once was years ago.

My point is that not everything some black people do should be used as the discriptor "Look how inferior and dumb you are?" I'm sure in the  UK you have sayings that are slang terms that we, in the US don't understand. For instance, I recently (about 2 years ago) found out that a 'fag' in the UK is a cigarrette...whereas in the US, a 'fag' is the derrogatory word for homosexual.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
If you actually read Yacov's style and tone of writing you would understand that he wasn't saying it out of anger at all! Just simply saying it. A lot of black men do shave their heads and he was asking why?
This is the Affirmative action board and so Yacov was referring to affirmitive action Blacks...since a lot are. It would be rather odd to ask, why white women usually shave their heads? In reference to sinead O'Conner.

That maybe when YOU say it however it is generally used as an expression almost meaning, yeah sure or as a sign of anger.........................IMERICA i'm not even going to say anymore because you will find "invisible" suggestions to what i have said.

I did even SAY you were large or refer to your weight! I was thinking of the mama in tom and jerry, if you must know and ummm-hmm is an expression it doesn't have to be dumb!!!

Imerica

If you actually read Yacov's style and tone of writing you would understand that he wasn't saying it out of anger at all! Just simply saying it. A lot of black men do shave their heads and he was asking why?
This is the Affirmative action board and so Yacov was referring to affirmitive action Blacks...since a lot are. It would be rather odd to ask, why white women usually shave their heads? In reference to sinead O'Conner.

That maybe when YOU say it however it is generally used as an expression almost meaning, yeah sure or as a sign of anger.........................IMERICA i'm not even going to say anymore because you will find "invisible" suggestions to what i have said.

I did even SAY you were large or refer to your weight! I was thinking of the mama in tom and jerry, if you must know and ummm-hmm is an expression it doesn't have to be dumb!!!
LEt me answer the questions to Yacov's liking then...

Black men (who do) shave their heads because they're not afraid to be bald. Its not a 'gang' thing...its a comfort thing.

The umm-hmmm reference..yes black women do say it. I never said they didn't but its not negative, not even when they're angry. UMMM HMMM simply means "yes, I agree" or if a question is asked "Yes". Even if a black woman is angry she only says it if a situation that angers her isn't fair. (ETA: After being asked about the situation, that is.) We never say it out of context like its being presented here and on the JTF videos. I never say UMMMM HMM for no apparent reason. Its not the first thing black women say when they  wake up "Ummm hmmm...the sun is shining." There has to be a reason for it to be said.

THATS why I take offense to the way Yacov opened this thread up. I didn't speak that way in the video especially since most of you here think that UMM HMMM is a deficient way of speaking or makes black women look dumb, I'm definately not that.

And the large reference, of course you didn't refer to me however you referred to no one in particular other than in the post I just quoted. So I took it the way I saw it, since I do say the word and I am a bit bigger than I was in my youth. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:07:54 PM by Imerica »

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
I've been writing longer than I've been verbally speaking...

Really? That's interesting. How so? I don't think I've met anyone before who wrote before they spoke.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Imerica

I've been writing longer than I've been verbally speaking...

Really? That's interesting. How so? I don't think I've met anyone before who wrote before they spoke.

That's not to say that I couldnt' talk ( I spoke my first words and sentences at 2) but what I'm saying is that I wasn't allowed to speak my mind as a child. Whatever I said wasn't important according to the my mom and her ex. So I turned to writing. I actually wrote a lot more than I spoke, is what I meant.

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
  • The burden that hath befallen Man ...
Rufus and Chaka are one of my favorite music groups. I think my mom played their music when she was pregnant with me. As well as other groups which I'll feature in my next 'music' video. Thanks for the compliment. :)

U'se BE BLACK !
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Imerica

Rufus and Chaka are one of my favorite music groups. I think my mom played their music when she was pregnant with me. As well as other groups which I'll feature in my next 'music' video. Thanks for the compliment. :)

U'se BE BLACK !
I could have sworn I replied to you already...oh well. But "U'se" isn't a word.

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
I know but that's how you all affirmative action GENIUSES put it.

Ain't dat rite...UMM HMMM 8)
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Imerica

Racists make me itch. Isn't there a creme for the rash people like you spread?

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
Nope but I might have a White Power POWDER for you dark angel ! ;)

Sieg: German for victory of White Men over all others that have been his servants !!
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Imerica

Nope but I might have a White Power POWDER for you dark angel ! ;)

Sieg: German for victory of White Men over all others that have been his servants !!
You're on the wrong damned site, [censored]. Why don't you don the white sheet set you bought at K-Mart on the KKK site. They're looking to induct more losers like yourself to fight the imaginary cause you idiots are fighting for. WHITE POWER over anyone darker than you. Spare me.

People like you always need help standing up. Its a shame. You're a grownup and still not a leader yet. ::)

Oh, yeah and I've never been ANYONE'S servant...and I'm certainly not yours.

ETA: white sheet set...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:28:01 PM by Imerica »

newman

Imerica,

I heard Oprah talking about 'ashing up'. What is she talking about?

Imerica

Imerica,

It means dry skin, newman. Do you ever get dry skin?

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
What creams y'all B UZin on yo ash !!

SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

newman

Imerica,

Why 'ash'? And she was talking like it was something unique to black women. Everyone gets dry skin. I'm lost here.

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
Blacks are always worried about ashin' because it drastically changes their skin !
They become primal and BEASTLY !! ;D ;D ;D

Oprah's a BABOON Charlatan !
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Imerica

Imerica,

Why 'ash'? And she was talking like it was something unique to black women. Everyone gets dry skin. I'm lost here.
Dark skinned women, like myself, when our skin is dry get ashy-looking skin. That's where it comes from. Its visually ashy-looking, that's what she meant.

Imerica

Blacks are always worried about ashin' because it drastically changes their skin !
They become primal and BEASTLY !! ;D ;D ;D

Oprah's a BABOON Charlatan !

....With more money than you can yell "WHITE POWER" at. Get over yourself, man. ::)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Why do you think Oprah is building schools in Africa and not for the impoverished black communities in America?  I can't understand that.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Imerica

Why do you think Oprah is building schools in Africa and not for the impoverished black communities in America?  I can't understand that.
Oprah thinks like some of you here. That black students here don't want education, that all they want are Ipods and X Box 360's. She said she built a school in Africa for girls who didn't have a chance to go to school there. The monthly income there was so low that many girls had to stop going to school to help out and work for money and food. They want an education, it seems, more than some black American kids do. I'm 50% with Oprah's idea and 50% against it. I'm with it because she did something to help an impoverished (spellchecking myself) country. Against it because she seems to generalize about American black kids, much like some people here do. In order for the black kids in our own country to feel like they deserve a good education, we must provide them with the tools to want to make it. I'm not talking about a handout of computer games but a hand up with new books. Perhaps a new school that isn't rotting from the inside out. How about GOOD teachers instead of teachers who look down on black students as if they have no hope...so they don't teach.

If I had Oprah's money, I'd be dangerous. (Don't get that mixed up with frivolous. ;)  )
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:19:16 PM by Imerica »

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Oprah thinks like some of you here. That black students here don't want education, that all they want are Ipods and X Box 360's. She said she built a school in Africa for girls who didn't have a chance to go to school there. The monthly income there was so low that many girls had to stop going to school to help out and work for money and food. They want an education, it seems, more than some black American kids do. I'm 50% with Oprah's idea and 50% against it. I'm with it because she did something to help an impoveraged country. Against it because she seems to generalize about American black kids, much like some people here do. In order for the black kids in our own country to feel like they deserve a good education, we must provide them with the tools to want to make it. I'm not talking about a handout of computer games but a hand up with new books. Perhaps a new school that isn't rotting from the inside out. How about GOOD teachers instead of teachers who look down on black students as if they have no hope...so they don't teach.

If I had Oprah's money, I'd be dangerous. (Don't get that mixed up with frivolous. ;)  )
LOL - I would be dangerous if I had her money too - my causes would be the elderly, our Veterans and JTF of course.
I disagree with Oprah - I think her money channeled into the right causes would be of great benefit to many black children in America.  I had heard that was her reasoning but I didn't think that could be true.  It seems almost prejudiced.
Anyway - It is Oprah's money so she can do what she likes with it - that's the beauty of America.
I admire Montel Williams who is trying to help American people get the prescription medication that they can't afford.  

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

newman

Oprah thinks like some of you here. That black students here don't want education, that all they want are Ipods and X Box 360's. She said she built a school in Africa for girls who didn't have a chance to go to school there. The monthly income there was so low that many girls had to stop going to school to help out and work for money and food. They want an education, it seems, more than some black American kids do. I'm 50% with Oprah's idea and 50% against it. I'm with it because she did something to help an impoveraged country. Against it because she seems to generalize about American black kids, much like some people here do. In order for the black kids in our own country to feel like they deserve a good education, we must provide them with the tools to want to make it. I'm not talking about a handout of computer games but a hand up with new books. Perhaps a new school that isn't rotting from the inside out. How about GOOD teachers instead of teachers who look down on black students as if they have no hope...so they don't teach.

Imerica. The schools that are now 'rotting' were once nice and new. They are rotting because savage people are turning them into zoos. What is the point in paying for new schools and books that will only get trashed. The problem with black kids is a 'rotting' culture.....rap, gangsta mentallity,  'get whitey','I aint workin for the man', drugs, bastard babies, welfare, promiscuity........the list is endless. The will to get out from under has to come from within like it does with Jews, chinese, italians etc....all of whom started poor and were called names but didn't sit around in the ghetto crying about it.

Imerica

Imerica. The schools that are now 'rotting' were once nice and new. They are rotting because savage people are turning them into zoos. What is the point in paying for new schools and books that will only get trashed. The problem with black kids is a 'rotting' culture.....rap, gangsta mentallity,  'get whitey','I aint workin for the man', drugs, bastard babies, welfare, promiscuity........the list is endless. The will to get out from under has to come from within like it does with Jews, chinese, italians etc....all of whom started poor and were called names but didn't sit around in the ghetto crying about it.
Actually schools in urban communities were built poorly. The students, while some may be responsible for their own failures and drop-out rates, don't cause asbestos. Students are also not the reason that new books and supplies aren't available for them. Not to mention the fact that they ALSO aren't the reason that some teachers don't teach. Anyone can be taught, you just have to have their best interest at heart. If you're a teacher just working for a paycheck, you're useless.