Author Topic: The best fruits  (Read 1919 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
The best fruits
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
You ever notice how when a fruit is bad it's HORRIBLE, but when it's good it's AWESOME? Last week I got these plums and peaches, which were pretty awful; this week I bought peaches, I just ate one and it was sooo good that I decided that I had to tell you all about my experience. What are some of your favorite fruits? I'm about to eat some clementines now, too.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The best fruits
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
I'm more of a carnivore, but I like fermented grapes!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
I'm more of a carnivore, but I like fermented grapes!

Well, with the 9 days upon us, you better get used to eating more fruit.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
Mo, I was joking. I don't understand what your talking about, this year is my first year following Torah! I don't have a synagogue that I can go to or anything.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »
There are these apricots called angelcots. They're sweet and juicy and I really enjoy them. I'm also a fan of ranier cherries. There was some kind of green skinned plum hybrid I was eating last year and it was one of the sweetest fruits I'd ever eaten. I don't remember what it was called right now but I loved it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
I like all fruits, except the homo kind...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »
Mo, I was joking. I don't understand what your talking about, this year is my first year following Torah! I don't have a synagogue that I can go to or anything.

Oh, I wasn't trying to be threatening, lol. Basically, from tonight till after tisha b'va, we aren't allowed to eat meat or drink wine except on Shabbos.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
Well, with the 9 days upon us, you better get used to eating more fruit.

I am not familiar with the source of this.... I know that we are not saying Shehechianu on new fruits during the Three Weeks.

http://www.torah.org/advanced/weekly-halacha/5757/pinchas.html

SHEHECHEYANU (25)

On Shabbos, it is permitted to recite shehecheyanu (26).

On Rosh Chodesh Av, it is permitted to recite shehecheyanu (27) over new fruit (28).

A new fruit that will not be available after the Three Weeks may be eaten and a shehecheyanu recited (29).

A shehecheyanu is recited at a pidyon haben (30) and at the birth of one's daughter (31).

A shehecheyanu may be recited if by mistake the Borei pri ha'eitz was already said on the fruit (32).

The blessing of Ha'tov v'hameitiv may be said during the Three Weeks.

Since it is prohibited to recite shehecheyanu, it is also prohibited to buy any item which normally requires shehecheyanu to be recited. It is forbidden, therefore, to buy a new car for personal use during the Three Weeks. It is permitted, however, to buy a car for business use [and the shehecheyanu will be recited after the Three Weeks] or for the benefit of the family [since in that case Ha'tov v'hameitiv is recited instead of shehecheyanu] (33).

It is forbidden to buy or wear clothing which normally would require a shehecheyanu to be recited (34). If the clothing needs alterations, they may be bought during the Three Weeks and altered after the Three Weeks are over (35).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
Nobody has to eat fruit, I just meant that it would be a good idea since we can't eat meat during the nine days.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
No meat at all? No fish?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »
No meat at all? No fish?

Fish is fine. Just no meat or poultry.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Thanks Mo!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
Yes, I forgot the 'extra mourning' which we observe during these nine days:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/144574/jewish/The-Nine-Days.htm

The first nine days of the month of Av, and also the morning of the tenth,1 are days of acute mourning for the destruction of the first and second Holy Temples.

During this time, we don’t:

* Eat meat or drink wine, for during this period the sacrifices and wine libations in the Holy Temple ceased.2 The exceptions to this rule are meat and wine consumed on Shabbat or as part of a meal that celebrates a mitzvah, such as a circumcision, bar mitzvah, or the completion of a tractate of the Talmud.

* Launder clothing (except for a baby’s)—even if they will not be worn during the Nine Days—or wear freshly laundered outer clothing.3 Those who wish to change their clothing daily should prepare a number of garments and briefly don each of them before the onset of the Nine Days. Then it is permitted to wear these “non-freshly laundered” garments during the Nine Days.

* Swim or bathe for pleasure.

* Remodel or expand a home.

* Plant trees to be used for shade or fragrance (as opposed to fruit trees).

*Buy, sew, weave or knit new clothing—even if they will only be worn after the Nine Days. Exceptions to this rule: a) If you will miss a major sale, or if the garment will be unavailable later. b) For the purpose of a mitzvah, e.g., purchasing new clothing for a bride and groom.

* Cut nails during the actual week of the fast of Tisha B’Av—i.e., starting from the Saturday night before the fast until the conclusion of the Nine Days.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
Yes, I forgot the 'extra mourning' which we observe during these nine days:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/144574/jewish/The-Nine-Days.htm

The first nine days of the month of Av, and also the morning of the tenth,1 are days of acute mourning for the destruction of the first and second Holy Temples.

During this time, we don’t:

* Eat meat or drink wine, for during this period the sacrifices and wine libations in the Holy Temple ceased.2 The exceptions to this rule are meat and wine consumed on Shabbat or as part of a meal that celebrates a mitzvah, such as a circumcision, bar mitzvah, or the completion of a tractate of the Talmud.

* Launder clothing (except for a baby’s)—even if they will not be worn during the Nine Days—or wear freshly laundered outer clothing.3 Those who wish to change their clothing daily should prepare a number of garments and briefly don each of them before the onset of the Nine Days. Then it is permitted to wear these “non-freshly laundered” garments during the Nine Days.

* Swim or bathe for pleasure.

* Remodel or expand a home.

* Plant trees to be used for shade or fragrance (as opposed to fruit trees).

*Buy, sew, weave or knit new clothing—even if they will only be worn after the Nine Days. Exceptions to this rule: a) If you will miss a major sale, or if the garment will be unavailable later. b) For the purpose of a mitzvah, e.g., purchasing new clothing for a bride and groom.

* Cut nails during the actual week of the fast of Tisha B’Av—i.e., starting from the Saturday night before the fast until the conclusion of the Nine Days.

you forgot haircuts and shaving.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
you forgot haircuts and shaving.

Yes, but those are a part of the three week mourning, not the nine days extra mourning:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/144573/jewish/Three-Weeks.htm

During this period, we lessen the extent of our rejoicing. We don't:

* Conduct weddings. (Engagement parties – without music – are allowed until Rosh Chodesh Av.)

* Play musical instruments or listen to music.

* Recite the Shehecheyanu blessing. Thus, we do not wear new clothing or eat fruit which we have not yet eaten this season so that we will not be required to recite Shehecheyanu.

* Take a haircut or shave. Many Sephardic communities permit haircuts and shaving until the week of Tisha b'Av (in other words, until the Saturday night before the fast).

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
Pomegranate is extremely tasty and very healthy but they are a huge pain to peel and you can easily choke on the seeds (though they are good for you too). Also they are expensive and very seasonal in nature.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
Pomegranate is extremely tasty and very healthy but they are a huge pain to peel and you can easily choke on the seeds (though they are good for you too). Also they are expensive and very seasonal in nature.

Yes, on Rosh Hashanah we eat Pomegranates because of the belief that there are 613 seeds in each one, and every Jew should be filled with Mitzvot like the Pomegranate is filled with seeds.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/619,19383/Why-do-we-eat-pomegranates-on-Rosh-Hashanah.html

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
This isn't a fruit but I thought I'd mention that I really like different varieties of sweet potatoes besides the standard one. I got some at the asian store that had pale creamy flesh inside and were sweeter than the orange ones. I really would like to try purple fleshed sweet potatoes one day too. I think they'd probably be good.

I like pomegranate but only if it's fresh and I don't have to discard a bunch of brown yucky arils.