Author Topic: Divrei Hayamim (Chronicles)  (Read 1533 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Divrei Hayamim (Chronicles)
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »
I heard an interesting audio lecture by Rabbi Hayyim Angel on Divrei Hayamim
http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/730994/Rabbi_Hayyim_Angel/Introduction_to_Divrei_Hayamim
Based on Abarbanel's commentary and a few others, he raises, the question why does this Biblical Book choose to repeat some of the details of previous Biblical Books, while at other times it adds new information left out of other books.
In some places in the book one also has to work hard to find a way that the book doesn't outright contradict one of the previous books of the Bible.
He answers, that Divrei Hayamim was written by Ezra and Nechemia and the emphasis of the book was on details that would be most relevant to the generation involved in return from the exile and rebuilding the 2nd Temple.
The book of Melachim (Kings) on the other hand was written by Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) and has an underlying message or theme, how could G-d have agreed that the  First Temple be destroyed, and therefore facts relevant to that message are highlighted more in that Biblical book.

If any one has additional commentaries on Divrei Hayamim that he would like to suggest, please do so.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Divrei Hayamim (Chronicles)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:58:14 AM »
I have not heard of this question. Maybe I will listen to the shuir, but it is late tonight, so possibly tomorrow evening..

Thank you..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14